Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: that'a not pollution, THIS IS

Re: New Artificial reef off Moreton

Yeah from what I've heard they were too. Hope they make a good home to some serious fish!

Tom

Re: that'a not pollution, THIS IS

Without any bouyant contents I would expect the containers to sink reasonably quickly.....and I doubt thay would be using first class water tight containers to ship fertiliser.

So hopefully they are at the bottom by now.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

yeah i heard this on the news just before, holy shit that water must of heated up with that amount going into the water, thats why the reef is dead, not from globle warming,

i use to work in a checmical factory for 2 years (finished at the start of this year), we use to get ass rapped for any tiny amount of chemical down the drain, so they spent a few million making a water treatment plant which i ran for the last few months, no more than 5g of zinc down the drain, ammonion nitrate if very explosive, was always under lock at work, bin caught fire as we dumped about 5kg into the bin then it rained oxidizing it all so up in flames it went,

if it was out in rough sea then it should be ok, if it was in the bay, then maybe a bit of stuff will die,

only time will tell,

Edit: my bad, potassium nitrate goes hot, ammionon nitrate goes freezing cold, so chances are this stuff has gone rock solid and will take ages to disolve, not good news

If they are properly sealed they will displace around 27 tons of water, so they will float, just, as they weigh close to 22 tons. We have to hope they were damaged as they fell and belted each other. If they did, they would have sunk rather quickly...

I'll be out there asap having a look!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Surprising what will float as Timiboy has highlighted, it has to do with displacement, not just weight.

Containers these days are supposed to have plugs in them that dissolve slowly when submerged to eventually sink any lost containers.

is that gps position in degrees and minutes
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

"Another 3000 tonnes is believed to have spilled on board the ship which is due into the Port of Brisbane about 11am."

Channel 10 news said only 3 tonnes spilled over deck. Thats about what it looked like in the footage too....3000 tonnes was way off the mark and over the top.

Mike

The Reporters can't seem to come to grips with the difference between Kilograms and Tonnes!!.

3,000kgs (3 Tonnes) was spilled according to earlier reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Skusto View Post
    is that gps position in degrees and minutes
    Yes, datum is WGS 84

the ammonium nitrate will dissolve in the wtaer..not worried about it..but some bugger better be containing that oil and in a hurry

I just hope Bohm, Baltais and Shooter are in the BatBoat and heading out there to fix the problem..Oh, hang on, they just whinge about it all...they never actually do anything.

So was it off Point Lookout North Straddie (News Stories) or Cape Moreton (Notice To Mariners) ?

darn shame that oil didn't drift the other way or have longer to travel before reaching our shores, oil is biological to specific organisms and the processes of the sea and is well able to convert it to feed, as is the beach and the rocks etc.

Because the media is the media I dunno the true volume spilt or landed .....it was the oil equivalent of heating oil?? that is not heavy crude....this is not an environmental disaster...it's not good but not a disaster either, the zealots will play it as such...lot's of money/position/power involved now and in the future the larger than life it gets from here on in.

The Exon Valdez was an environmental disaster.

cheers fnq

I am more p1ssed at the reactions of the EPA. They have said bugger all. Obviously their title is a misnomer, they do SFA to protect the environment, just act as the jackbooted troopers for Cap'n Bligh, shoring up her prefernce deals. The reports are coming from Maritime services etc, not the ENVIROMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY. Mybe they should use the title that they actually actions, the Electoral Protection Agency.

On that line, I note that they haven't taken a stand at the Tinnie and Tackle show, sent the poor beggars from fisheries to cop the flack instead.

Gutless pricks, they could borrow their leaders hard hats to protect themselves i need be.

morten bay oil slick

news of a 10 klm oil slick on morten island on the news.
    An accident waiting to happen. 30 containers gone overboard. Worst disaster ever in seq waters. Did you see the containers stacked on the ship. Held on with a few cables.

If the EPA were as serious about protecting our coastlines as much as their well researched green zones.Could they not devert ships from entering cyclone areas carrying chemicals . Sorry i wasn't thinking, that would cost large substanial companies money. Well done EPA, forget about real issues just keep painting those pretty green squares.Your getting very very good.