Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: that'a not pollution, THIS IS

Re: that'a not pollution, THIS IS

Quote Originally Posted by murf View Post
    there will be some very green green zones now
    all that extra algae will give the prawns more to eat hence more prawns. All the extra prawns will give the fish more to eat hence more fish and no need for green zones after all!!

Mike - it was off Moreton to us, but to the EPA it is istill in Moreton.........otherwise they have no reason to close off the areas on the Eastern side of Moreton or Stradbroke Islands.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Well at least the current is roaring out there atm! around 3 knots so it will be on Murf's door step with in a day!! I wouldn't panic about it though, it will leach out over time and be diluted ! depending on the depth the epa may request a recovery but if it's over 55m ( which it probable is) it will stay where it is!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    Well at least the current is roaring out there atm! around 3 knots so it will be on Murf's door step with in a day!! I wouldn't panic about it though, it will leach out over time and be diluted ! depending on the depth the epa may request a recovery but if it's over 55m ( which it proabale is) it will stay where it is!

Ian
    thanks mate, send the spotties down too will ya

you fisher folk up there did wan't more artificial reefs

Anyone get the gps mark where they fell? I hear there's some nice structure around there...

19.2 tonnes is the maximum allowable in a container, from memory. 20,000 tonnes? For God's sake, that means the ship could only carry about 5 before it was overloaded. Let alone where you'll get a crane to lift one.
    BIT FUNNY REALLY!

Anna planned it, in reality. It's one of the arti's she's been rabbiting on about.

In fact this Robyn Ironside (or was that Ironbox?) is an out and out idiot. She has not checked her facts, and in the true Greenie spirit she has overstated the facts by a factor of ONE THOUSAND!!!!
    Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

OK here are some figures.

A 40 foot container has an maximum total weight of about 40 tonnes, the container its self may weight up to 4 tonnes.

so it looks at being arround 1200 tonnes all up.

Of course it will depend on how it is packaged.....it could be individual bags like cement bags, sacks like chook feed or any one of a variety of bulk bags.

I think there has been some problems with handling the units of measure.

The on board spill is most likly to be 300 or 3000 KG.

If there has been a bulk bag split that would result in a spill of 3000Kg if the whole split bag is counted.

Now likley impacts

the stuff on the deck has almost certianly got wet and will have turned into lumps or a huge crusty mass........what is beeing washed over the side will probaly not cause too much of a problem and should disipate........the ships deck will probaly need a repaint.

You would have ti use huge amounts of water to wash this stuff over the side and I don't think salt water would be doing a real good job........it would be like washing up a pan after making toffee.

They will be pick and shoveling this off the ship.

In my opinion as for the containers that went over the side..........the best hope is that they went over in deep water and sank to the bottom.....floating containers are a real problem.

the contents will then disolve over a period of time and leach out... and hopefully disperse.........will it have a significant environmental impact.... real good question.

Are they going to salvage the containers.......I doubt it very much.

Consider if you did bring these boxes up......first you would have to find them.......I recon they will be spread about a bit.......then you have to lift 40 tonnes plus out of deep water..... and .....they would be pissing out contaminated water............. they would then have to be braught thru the bay.......how do you carry a 40 tonne container and a large quantity of disolved firtiliser.......and 32 of them.

It would be well worth knowing where they droped because I recon they will be realy rich reefs after it all settles down.
    And the containers will rust realy fast with that amount of nitrate in them.

A serious incident certainly.... but if it was in open water... not an environmental catastrophy...............if it was in the bay on the other hand..........Holy snappin' lobster dropings it would be a real problem.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Latest update;

Container ship holed, limping into Brisbane

Posted 34 minutes ago
    Huge ocean swells from Cyclone Hamish are still making it difficult for the ship to enter the port. (User submitted: Brad Jeffers)

A ship that lost 32 containers of ammonium nitrate overboard in rough seas off south east Queensland early this morning is leaking fuel as it limps into harbour off Brisbane.
    The 180-metre container ship Pacific Adventure was carrying 60 containers of the potentially dangerous chemical from Newcastle in New South Wales to Brisbane.
    But 32 six-metre-long containers fell overboard off Stradbroke Island at about 5:00am AEST.
    Three tonnes of the chemical was also spilt on the ship's deck.
    Captain John Watkinson from Maritime Safety Queensland says a container damaged the ship.
    "It pierced the hull right at the level where there was a fuel tank, so the ship has lost a little bit of heavy fuel oil," he said.
    The ship is being guided to a secure anchorage in Moreton Bay for inspection.
    A helicopter crew is trying to find the lost shipping containers.
    Tropical Cyclone Hamish off southern Queensland, which has whipped up the rough seas, has now been downgraded to category 2.

There you go, 20 footers, 19.2 tonnes max payload each. Not, I repeat, NOT, 20,000 tonnes...

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

32 containers x 20 tonnes each = 640 tonnes of ammonium nitrate Farrwk !!!!!!!

The ammonium nitrate contents is maybe the smallest issue!?

Now revised to 31, but still there are now possibly 31 floating? 20 tonne speed humps out there it appears!!. One has already pierced the carrier ship itself and it is leaking fuel oil.

outsider's nailed it in one, that is what we should really be worried about. they float just below the surface and will kill your boat as quick as you can hit them. hopefully all will be accounted for and salvaged or sunk. they'd probably make good artificial reefs for a little while.

Would a container with 20,000kg of, in effect, gravel in it float?

Just heard on the news that they lost 5 ton of fuel causeing a 20 kl long oil slick no chance of controling that in these conditions

Does this mean more green zones are going to SPROUT up? Or is this the way the EPA intends to get some of the doomed seagrass back.

Dave
    Avast ye matey!

How can we find ou if these containers floated away or sunk.. listen for notices to mariners ya recon??
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech