Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: that'a not pollution, THIS IS

Re: that'a not pollution, THIS IS

Quote Originally Posted by coucho View Post
    As for the talk of "what was the skipper doing heading into the cyclone" If it was me i would of done the same thing not a little boat the pacific adventurer chances are there would of been another 5 or 6 ships go straight through that cyclone and both the skipper and the ship probably been through a lot worse. Containers break loose and go over the side quiet frequently on ships it happens it was just bad luck that these ones where full of amonnium nitrate, one pearced the hull and it was right in front of moreton island.
    Too true. Ships tackle this sort of thing all the time. They also lose containers over the side often - that's why you take out Marine Insurance...

This is my backyard too, and I am upset. But it's important to remain objective on this, and FNQ is right on the money.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

According to the paper i read fuel oil evaporates at a rate of 13% of volatile components over 3 months. As I said in an earlier reply even at double that rate it is 6months before 1/2 the more toxic ( read volatile)components have evaporated.
    I dont know where you draw the line, FNQ, but for me, 12 months plus with environmentally damaging material all over the beaches is way too long.

I simple do not understand why you would continue espousing that view.
    The material is not benign and will not be for a minimum of 12 months.
    After which time recovery could proceed unimpeded.
    Until the material is rendered benign by nature or removal it will continue to have an effect.

My speculations of yesterday have come to fruitition.
    There is indeed a much larger spill than first reported, possibly more than 100tons, which puts it in the moderate spill category.

And it is affecting more of Moreton's previosly unaffected beaches,as well as Bribie and the North Coast beaches..
    As i type this I can feel the beginnings of a NE seabreeze, If there is a rising tide as well we can expect oil to enter the " Bay"
    I do not agree with you that this is "small potatoes", and I further disagree with the premise that letting, 'Nature take its course' is an appropriate response.
    And I certainly dont think I am being histrionic in these views.

No, it's not of the order of ExxonV.... but no-one said it was.
    What has been said by many is this will have a recognizable effect on the fishing environment .
    I suspect it will take much more than twelve months for nature to repair.
    Cheers
    rando

i too am upset that this has happened, we can do as much as we like to try and prevent this sort of thing occuring, we all get in the car everyday and dont plan on crashing but how many accidents do we see every day. Accidents at sea occur every day we just dont hear about them until the media blows it up to something huge. As FNQ has said and i dare say is rightly qualified, within time it will clear. we all just need to be patient and let the powers that be do their thing and get it fixed. you would be blown away by the amount of time that people are wasting of the EPA's time in complaining about it. at the end of the day they will do everyhting possible to protect the environment but they can only do so much. i am not saying that they may not have done as mucas they could, but with the seas the way they were there was no possible way to stop it happening. Maybe we should be looking at why the containers have come off and get at the shipping company. IMHO cheers Lee

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    Too true. Ships tackle this sort of thing all the time. They also lose containers over the side often - that's why you take out Marine Insurance...

This is my backyard too, and I am upset. But it's important to remain objective on this, and FNQ is right on the money.

Tim
    Part of Mariner's code apparently, all that have cargo aboard, have to chip in for the one person who lost cargo. Had a mate in that circumstance.

The big picture I see is that there's not much we can do, accept wait for Mother Nature to to clean it up for us ... but ... we should be focusing on how this disaster could have been averted. That's what we should be tackling Local, State and Federal Governments on.

Should a vessel be not allowed in the vicinity in a storm, have an Australian pilot aboard, etc???

This stuffs fishing up for most us for how long? Yep I'm angry too. How many Moreton Island (Easter Holidays) has it stuffed up?

We're all on the money!

Cheers

Ps Go the Cowboys

why all the paranoia from the media..whatever damage there is has been done...nothing can be done about that now..just what method of clean up is to be used is all that matters...put a match to the stuff.

Did any local organisation have a contingency plan for an event such as this?

If so, I would be interested to read it.

Hi all,

I spoke on the potential impacts of the oil spill on th ABC Country Hour today.

The link to the audio is here: http://www.abc.net.au/rural/qld/today.htm

I mentioned the impotence of the green zones to such impacts.

Daryl

Well done Daryl.

FNQ.
    Im starting to see your point.

A US study done after 5 years from Exxon Valdez found the uncleaned areas where recovering their ecological balance at up to three times the rate of the cleaned areas.
    Something to do with washing away the beneficial microbes and sterilizing the area when cleaned.

The head scientist wrote a book about it. Ill see if I can find a link.

But then again you have the aesthetic value and the tourist dollar.

And taking longer for ecological restoration will mean those nasty fishermen will have to wait longer to rape and pillage.

Rod.
    My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    I saw a report a few years ago of authorities using human hair to absorb the oil.
    Pack human air in a rope like form!!!
    Wouldn't it be ideal to put these things out to absorb all the oil from the ocean b4 it hits land.

Oil will float on the surface. So naturally will be absorved. less oil, less damange.
    Perhaps we should just chuck a whole lot of Greenies into the slicks. They are pretty hairy and might end up as part of the solution rather than the problem
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

when it originally happened..where were the booms? where were the detergent sprays? where was any form of response from the EPA..toal ineptitude from them in all respects.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Perhaps we should just chuck a whole lot of Greenies into the slicks. They are pretty hairy and might end up as part of the solution rather than the problem
    Thats the funniest thing I have heard since it all started..nice one horse..

well its sort of hard to say the oil has done the damage when it still continues to kill things... the oil is still moving... birds are still flying into it, turtles are still swimming into it, its still damaging stuff oh yeah and the ship also is still leaking oil, a 500m slick was released into the river today my mate got it all over his boat at the 4 beacons, its still moving so some of you say its to late now, so is it to late to stop the stuff moving, the tide pushes it up the beach killing whatever is in its path the next high tide picks it up and moves it further, your compairing spills that happened in completely different ecosystems i dont think we can even start to compare i know from past fuel spills ive seen washed up on the rocks at moreton its taken over a year for some animals to return to certain rock pools, we cant compare to other oil spills

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl McPhee View Post
    Hi all,

I spoke on the potential impacts of the oil spill on th ABC Country Hour today.

The link to the audio is here: http://www.abc.net.au/rural/qld/today.htm

I mentioned the impotence of the green zones to such impacts.

Daryl
    Hey Daryl how come they reported this below? If it is correct can you elaborate as to why this would be the case...within this spill?

Quote: "Fisheries biologist Darryl McPhee agrees the oil spill will have a major impact on fishing grounds."

and did you mean impotence or importance??

cheers fnq

I note on the news tonight everybody trying to "out disaster" each other in an effort to seem concerned.

Don't they love those emotive words, disaster, crisis, protect.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Unbelievable the state government through a third party has delivered 32 artificial reefs to Moreton Island, thank you Mr Macnamara! Now I understand why the EPA took over the job from the DPI you guys have to do the washing up!
    Barker Transport Logistic Services
    Transport Solutions for Every Job

For a fantastic adventure: www.mvwaiben.com

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj63/Waiben/