Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anchoring and Boat retrieval

Question Anchoring and Boat retrieval

Some time ago, there was a post about ways to retrieve your boat from shore, having anchored it off the beach a bit due to tide highs and lows.
    Does anyone have a diagram of how they have setup their boat retrieval system? All I remember is it used a float of some sort on the anchor and some sort of pulley/retrieval system with ropes and clips. Photos of anyone's setup would be great.

Cheers,
    Angus

Re: Anchoring and Boat retrieval

It is virtually a rope circle, with your boat forming part of the rope.
    Need two anchors.
    Tie a rope to the stern cleat,with an anchor attached, but not tied off Hold onto the end of the rope in the boat, and set the anchor.
    Then motor to shore, letting the stern rope out as you go.
    Unload, then pull the boat out, into deeper water, using the stern rope.

Set the bow anchor, on the beach, attached to the bow.

Tie the stern rope off to the same anchor. You can retrieve the boat , and pull it back out again, as many times as you like.
    David

like this???

I do it a bit differently sometimes and use a pulley block attached to a short length of chain on the rear anchor and pass the line thru the pulley with a few meters of the line; depending on the depth; (paynter) from the endless loop that get gets tied off to the bow.

Drop the rear anchor with chain, pulley and paynter attached, then motor in to shore drop off all and your geat and then hand over hand the line until the short line (paynter) gets to the block then tie off the end of the loop to another anchor on shore (or a tree).

The loop lays on the bottom away from other boats props and the paynter rises more ot less straight up to the boat bow from the chain. Also the boat is free to swing in the current which places less load on the anchor etc so its safer over night etc and its away fron sticky fingers.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Thanks for the advice. I will given those suggestions a try.

Cheers
    Angus

Going camping from the boat this weekend and was talking about the endless loop system with a mate this arvo. He mentioned that it may not work, as there is no chain on the anchor out at the boat to weigh down the line. Therefore, if there was any sort of swell, the line would lift the anchor and the boat would then drift!

How do you combat that situation?

Cheers for any advice given,
    Mick

Use a length of chain , ref post # 4

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

i just do like this
    one anchor on front than revise boat back to beach shut down engine lift up and jump in water to up to knee and than 2nd anchor on back to the sand
    just leave bit of 2 nd rope loose so when tide run out boat is still in water

or tie 2nd rope for tree or big rock

myway
    Last edited by MyWay; 06-04-2009 at 11:39 PM.

There is a system called Anchor buddy available which has elastic rope. This keeps your boat in the water and you can tie your stern up on the beach and just pull it in when needed. Search google, I think they are down on the gold coast.
    Cheers Davo

Quote Originally Posted by MyWay View Post
    i just do like this
    one anchor on front than revise boat back to beach shut down engine lift up and jump in water to up to knee and than 2nd anchor on back to the sand

myway
    Hey My Way,
    Your boat seems to have a bit of water in the bilge - better turn on the bilge pump.

also your beach rope is attached to a pile of dog poo - not very secure

besides that looks good to me

the problem with that system Myway, is you cannot pull the boat to the beach to get in or out, you need to get wet, thats why the pulley system is far better, it allows for big tide movements, and you can always get into the boat anytime you like, although I prefer the bow into the wind/sea, so you may be stern to beach sometimes, or bow to beach other times, makes no difference. the system is still the same.

Gedday First Mate,
    This is a set up I used when staying on a mates island property. Took about 10 minutes to make and saved heaps of trouble and wet clothes when retrieving the boat. My boat is a 17 foot plate r/about and it was very managable.
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...boat+retrieval

Cheers.....Terry.....

different methods work in different tides and slope of beach.

The myway one works well but the bit he hasn't drawn on his artwork is the anchor chain that acts like the "elastic" or you can tie off another piece of chain suspended in the water column) on your anchor rode to act like a spring and draw your boat away from shore. To retrieve it you just pull the shore rope in until you can step on your boat. the amount of force you have to pull against is determined by the weight of teh anchor chain and / or additional chain in teh water column.

I have seen loops fail with abrasion, jam in pulley or thin rope used so always attach a seperate emergency line to shore so boat isn't swept away if using it overnight. ie always have a solid secured line to shore direct to boat.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWay View Post
    i just do like this

myway

just a warning if you use this method and you have a reletively small boat and it rains, get the rainwater out of the boat or pull one of the anchors up.. we did this with our 12ft tinny up in hinchinbrook and got caught in a storm one night filled the boat with water and then only need the smallest wave to capsize/sink the whole lot.. woke up at 2 in the morning and was only able to see the red fuel tank floating on the water.. lost well over $3000 worth of stuff...

Nidrac.