Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to cure sea-sickness?

Re: How to cure sea-sickness?

There's no cure for sea sickness. It's caused by the vestibular system in the inner ear. The brain uses this system to find out where we are in space. If that system goes against other stimulas, such as the eyes then we can feel sick.Some pills etc can help with the feelings of nausea, but will not cure the problem. About 70% of people will suffer from motion sickness at some time, with about 20% even feeling crook in flat water.Children between ages of 4-12 are more of a chance of getting motion sickness.Many of us have kids who get crook in the car.

I have done a fair bit of ocean racing, and I reckon everyone has their water. I've seen very experienced saliors go down for the count when a boat starts moving a bit different, especially in heavy seas.

Tips to help. Stay of the grog, even the night before. Good nights sleep.Light meals.Pills can help, but have the problem of making you drowsy. During the day try to focus on the horizon. Help the brain re boot.

Personally I get sea sick at night in heavy seas, when I loose sight of the horizon, but find lying down a help.

Good luck, no easy answer.

I had that problem for a while.
    I got onto Travacalm tablets. Usually one before I leave for the boat ramp, but on a full stomach. On an empty stomach they really seem to make me drousy, but if I eat something before hand or not long after I take the tablet, the drousiness seems to be almost non-existent. The "Travacalm Original" tablets have a bit of caffeine in them to counteract the drousiness effect. There is another box of Travacalm (without the "Original" name in it) that does not have the caffeine.

Havent had a problem each time I have taken them, although I wouldn't be driving alone. Once or twice that have made me really groggy for about 15-20 mins, then it went away and all fine... but eating something seems to negate the grogginess effect. Probably get less of a hit at once through slower absorption if you have something else in your guts too

I take Travelcalm Original... Avomine did not agrea with my body, it made me very tired....

When I forget to take the Travelcalm, and I start to feel a bit green, I let myself vomit freely over the side... For me holding the vomit back is like poisoning your body and you only make yourself worse.... But letting yourself vomit when you feel like it I findmake you feel heaps better.... Get it out quickly, and drink plenty of Coke....

Why drink Coke... Because it tast good on the way back out....

AVOMINE.
    For me i have tired all the other b/s remedies and they didn't work.
    I was one of the worst for seasickness there was until i started using avomine.
    I might add it hasn't made me catch anymore fish but i have great days on the water now when i get a chance.
    Graeme

I see you are only 14 so some good news is you will proberbly get more resistant to seasickness as you get older. All the methods work for some people and they are worth a try.
    I think your uncle could have been a bit more accommodating and given it away when you were that sick or made you drive the boat as it will take your mind off it and give you something to concentrate on. I have done that as it's not fun having your companion seasick.
    On charters I haven't seen anyone sick on the second day so your body does get used to the motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    I think your uncle could have been a bit more accommodating and given it away when you were that sick or made you drive the boat as it will take your mind off it and give you something to concentrate on. I have done that as it's not fun having your companion seasick.
    I hope he's reading this

I'm not really to fussed on being a little bit drowsy, as I don't have to drive the car or boat, so I might look into getting some of those pills, along with next time trying out the other suggestions.
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

Dont get too worried about it.

You might have had a bad day too.

you realy need to find out if it is an every time thing.

were you well slept.....was you head and you nose clear.

I've been a bit crook with the after effects of what the seems to be ross river......getting better slowly.... but early on the whole balance thing wasnt what it should be.......got seasick very easy.

try keeping you head up, head down tying tackle is a problem for me.

I'm fine under way... its at anchor is my problem......standing up is good... looking into the swell is good.... fresh air is good.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

There have been other threads on this subject, with many good fishos offering whatever cure works for them, which is a good thing.

Personally, I think the majority of cases come from subconcious FEAR,
    fear of the unfamiliar,
    fear of something bad happening e.g. going for a swim,
    fear of getting sick even.

Purely my own opinion,
    but I would even go so far as to say that many remedies have a placebo affect, "If I do this, I wont get sick",
    and they will generally work, because in your mind, you have already beaten the subconcious fear.

My oldest son, Charlie (AF member neon1991) used to get crook, I even had to bring him in a couple of times, not happy,
    until a day that we were to fish in a club outing that was called off at the last minute due to bad weather, we already had the boat in the water, so we decided to go out for a look anyway.

Poor Charlie,
    it did turn out to be a VERY rough day at sea, but my regular deckie & I were quite happy in the strong wind & big swells, we were catching good fish most of the day.
    Poor Charlie spewed, cried, begged to be bought home as he rolled around on the deck, NUH.............we were having fun & the fish were biting well.

That was about 6 years ago now, & Charlie has almost never been sick again after that day,
    I truly believe that it was the worst day that he could imagine,
    but Chris & I both had fun, caught lots of good fish, & bought him home safe at the end of the day ( we kept him out there until 2pm that afternoon ).

Bottom line is, I think that he beat the fear in his mind that day, it was SO bad, but still nothing bad happened.

I can accept that some people DO have inner ear problems which will make them sick,
    but I think in the majority of cases, it really is all in your mind.............

Muzz

I truly believe there are different reasons and different mechanisms where by people become ses sick.

The most commonly accepted problems is the brain getting s differeing variety of messages from the inner ear ( that senses level and motion), the eyes and other parts of the body..........that it cant process into something that makes sense.

Some people do manage to adapt.....the brain is able to learn and rewire its self to cope at some level.......some people it will never happen.

cheers

Personally for me

i used to go on a mates 23 foot devil cat and was sick every time. It's a cat thing I believe along with not being in control because I was fine when driving it.

Now I have a 19 1/2 foot mono hull and I like to have a breakfast of bacon, eggs, sausage, tomato and toast followed by a orange juice and coffee. I also like to take along some munchies like snakes because I believe that when you chew it moves your temples and helps to keep the gyration sensor equal. I also hype up on wanting to catch a big one and keep my concentration on anything but sickness. I normally talk the leg off wooden chair which might help too.

Funny thing that when I am solo I seem to hold conversation with whoever will listen. Mother nature normally gets a bit of an earfull about the weather and old King Neptune is given a few requests too.

You will eventually find your thing, just keep at it.

Chris

Mate your gotta stop thinking of yourself all the time. If ya gonna get sick ya gonna get sick.Just make sure the night before you eat lots of sardines, herrings, tuna ect Lots of ready made burley.

Mark

Hi
    haveing only been sea sick once in my life i do not wish that feeling on anyone. Hardly any sleep and not much to eat I think was the reason.

I have heard ginger works well but have you tried taking two junket tablets. Works wonders. The only problem is that i have not seen them on supermarket shelves for awhile so you may have to try a health food or specialty shop to buy them now.

Good luck

Ronnie

not a nice thing to go through
    some old tricks that works are a large glass of salt water to settle the stomach
    try sitting and looking at your toes for a while
    the best is get to the back of the boat while on the move that way you can,t smell the salt air this works well in diesel boats

give it a go and get back to me

cheers fundi

I have found during my years of taking out newbies, is first off, try to make the first trip out an afternoon affair, not too sure why, but I reckon it has something to do with the body all awake and working properly, rather than running around in the dark pre dawn, half a coffee, and a dodgey rushed breakfast is enough to make a newcomer a bit queezy later on, but afternoon seems to be OK, next is a couple of Anniseed lollies to chew on during the trip, that also helps big time, also avoid untangling lines, cutting bait and so on, they are another recipe for a woozy crew, if the crew are well known and you know they are prone to seasickness, then the mentioned "drugs" will help, but if they are first timers, then what I have mentioned will help somewhat, along with trying to keep the busy and look at the distance as much as possible, I consider myself very lucky to not get sick at all, and my kids are the same, but I have had some very sick crew at times I can tell you.

I am very suspicious of the glass of salt water.... it is more likley to make you throw up.

As for looking at your toes......looking down is exactly what you dont want to do

Getting to the bak of the boat is a good idea but it has nothing to do with the salt air and evreything to do with the ride beeing smoother at the back.
    Unless you are in a large displacement hull boat , then the middle might be better.

cheers