Thread: mackeral fishing gear

mackeral fishing gear

what sort of gear would i be looking for to fish for school mackeral in the bay around the beckons with pillies,i have a s10 egreal but find it a bit hard to cast with a pillie and lead on, good for plastic work, what am i looking at , what do you guys use for the mackeral regards rob.

Re: mackeral fishing gear

i use baitcasters & spinning reels, have them spooled with 20-30lb braid in case if a bigger fish grabs one (usually does). rods i use ugly sticks, g-l's, shimano, diawa.
    anything with a bit of grunt.

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

I'll swap you my mackeral rig for your S10.

I promise it'll chuck a pillie a mile.............

You just want something with a bit stiffer tip, the S10's really aren't suited to throwing much more than about 30 grams.

By the way, if your floating pillies you shouldn't have that much lead on and you dont really need to cast it far anyway.

What other rods / reels have you got?

It really depends on what you like but generally i'd recommend something in the 7 ft 5 - 10kg range with a 3000 - 4000 spin reel spooled with 15 - 20lb braid (or mono if thats your style)

Quote Originally Posted by plaztix View Post
    I'll swap you my mackeral rig for your S10.

I promise it'll chuck a pillie a mile.............

You just want something with a bit stiffer tip, the S10's really aren't suited to throwing much more than about 30 grams.

By the way, if your floating pillies you shouldn't have that much lead on and you dont really need to cast it far anyway.

What other rods / reels have you got?

It really depends on what you like but generally i'd recommend something in the 7 ft 5 - 10kg range with a 3000 - 4000 spin reel spooled with 15 - 20lb braid (or mono if thats your style)
    mate other rods i have s10, bear s10, for plactics work out around the cape, a brade comcept by rapala 8-15kgs,reels are tierra 4000s that came with the s10s with 20b-30pb, maybe try the rap with a tierra 4s use one of the s10 for slug work, witch have no idear of what i would doing there. i like too have a secend outfit to fish that is set useing differant weights so to fish all water lvers ,thats plan i use on the plastics around the cape, what do you think that would work, regards rob

3 ganged hooks attatched to about a foot of wire with a nice fresh Aussie Pillie hanging of the hooks..No Lead and just let float back o the boat whilst your fishing for other species , assuming you are allowed a second rod in use in the area you are fishing..

Rob,

I still regard this rod as one of my favourites when fishing for macs.

Shakespeare Ugly Stik Gold USG-BWS80A 2.4m/8’ Medium action 4-8kg .I have it coupled with a 4500 B Baitrunner spooled with 6kg mono. 60lb mono trace for spotties.

Cheers,
    Wags
    Last edited by wags on the water; 04-03-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: extra info

8-10 kg wilson livefibre & a baitrunner , a verusatile bit of kit and not that dear $$ as well.

Volvo is right. Driftin out the back and flicking plastics out the front is the way to go

I'm with BigE. I have a couple of Wilson live fibre's with 6500 Baitrunners and they will catch and handle pretty much anything.....except for the monsters that keep spooling me off Cape Moreton!!! Must be big cobia I reckon. I will land one eventually.