Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smoked Fish

Re: Smoked Fish

The gal ones also rust out on the bottom before long.Try doing some spare ribs or rib racks using hickory they're beaut.

G'day folks!

Was put onto how good smoked tailor are by Deepfried.

I use a Webber and do 2-4 fillets at a time.

Soak the fillets in brine (1 litre of water to 2 tablespoons of salt) overnight. Pat dry.

Get the Webber going and when the coals are ash, put the fillets in an Al foil tray on the top rack (little bit of oil/salt/pepper) and put a handfull of hickory or blue gum sawdust (from baitshop) in a folded piece of Al foil on top of the coals.

When the sawdust starts to smoke, put the lid on and give it 20min for 2 medium fillets or 25min for larger. Put a loose piece of foil over the fillets (allowing gaps for the smoke) to stop the fish drying out.

Regards, Rob.

I used to smoke Trout many years ago using the Kilwell Stainless smoker with metho in little pie dishes.
    Prepare the fish by splitting down the back, the belly flap becomes the "hinge".
    Remove all the gut and wash. Lay fish on an oven tray, flesh up.
    Liberally layer sea salt over the flesh, followed by a reasonably thick layer of brown sugar. I know sounds weird!!
    Leave over night in the laundry tub. The salt/sugar mix will melt and drip into the tub making clean up easier. I cover the top of the tub with a towel, just to keep the nasties out.
    The following day you will find not much remains of the salt or brown sugar and your ready to smoke.
    Fill the pie dish with metho, add your favourite wood into the smoker, place the fish in the smoker and put the lid on.
    Light your metho and slide the smoker carefully over the burner. Please don't attempt to slide the burner under the smoker!!!
    In 15min you will be eating the best smoked fish......enjoy!

Cheers
    Lockie

I also been smoking fish for a while i do flathead the odd freshwater fish i also have done chicken wings on many occasions but i brine all mine up using a litre of water a 3/4 cup of brown sugar a touch of garlic and also some basil in the brine and a 1/4 of a cup of cooking salt leave overnight and dry before putting in my mojoki stanless smoker which i just bought in replacement from the nipper kipper box which rusted out. I also like to us a sheet of alloy foil on the bottom of the smoker to minimise cleaner. Once cooked i allow to cool then put it in water and bring to the boil for a minute then i place it in a white sauce or cheese sauce for a short time till all is warm then i serve on a plate and dress with parsley yummy every type of fish smokes up good if drine up right i reckon barra ,flathead , talior , mackeral , bream all come up a treat .

Mate, just do what I do.

Catch any mullet, tailor, mackeral or any other oily fish, bleed when captured and put in ice slurry to keep optimum temp...Preparation...butterfly in half and soak in sugar and salt solution (according to your taste).

Place skin side down in smoker (I have a converted stainless steel beerkeg for this)...wood I use is from the bush .i.e ironbark or other timber W.A Jarrah. Do not use bluegum or other soft woods as the sap will poison you.

Soak all hardwood in water for a few hours, the saturation will stop the wood from burning and produce more smoke. The gas ring underneath my smoker is regulated....When flesh of fish has turned dark orange or similar colour its done.

I left mine to smoke longer depending on temperature. Lasts in fridge for 3 or more weeks and does not dry out. If you use salt only then chances are it will dry out. I don't like mine too salty. Bloody beautiful, bon apetite.

Peter