Thread: Lake Macdonald Questions

Lake Macdonald Questions

Heading there at the end of March for three days. Has anyone fished it recently? How is it going and what/where is working? Can you leave the petrol outboard on the back of your boat and only use the electric or is it like Lenthals?

Thanks for any assistance.

Re: Lake Macdonald Questions

Pretty sure you can leave the outboard on Apollo,
    Paulo

yes you can leave the outboard on there is more trust there then at some other inpundments but im not sure its been fishing that flash its has alot of rain in that catchment over the last 12 plus months and alot of bass have gone over the wall but have a crack there was some smaller speciemen showing on the sounder last time i fished it that was about 6 months ago

I was there a few months ago and got squat. Three days is a long time at Lake Mc Donald. Maybe a day there and a couple at Borumba 40 min north.

You more often than not are the only one there. Leave the motor on just leave it up out of the water.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    I was there a few months ago and got squat. Three days is a long time at Lake Mc Donald. Maybe a day there and a couple at Borumba 40 min north.

You more often than not are the only one there. Leave the motor on just leave it up out of the water.
    Thanks

I am actually going there with my family and two other families, all with little kids, so fishing will be a secondary activity. I have been there before last year, but in the canoe, so hence the questions re the boat this time.

I should get enough Borumba fix at the BB

Cheers

Good luck at McDonald mate, it is a fantastic lake to fish. We were there about 3-4 weeks ago and had a ball on fly, SP and lures. We mainly fished around the water tower and along the rock wall to the dam.

We caught heaps of Bass, a few Yella and a couple of stonka Saratoga around 90cm mark. Most being done by spinnerbaits.

We found a heap on te sounder right along there in approx 6m of water.

Yes you can kep your outboard on you boat but obviously use the electric.

Good luck and put a post in reports on how you go.

I fish there regularly ( once a week at least ).
    I have been catching 20 to 30 Bass a session BUT only 6 to 10 of these are legal size ( up to 400mm ). I have been seaching the main basin for schools then running littlemax blades through them ( they are most of the time suspended 10 to 12 feet ).
    Early morning try the weededges with spinnerbaits or jackals any darker colour like purples,blacks and even avacado colours GOLD for the jackals. Also the yellas have been hanging around the bubbler. Some saratoga been caught I have heard aswell not sure where but ?
    Hope this helps and look for a grey hornet on the water say hi.
    Thanks
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Bud-dy View Post
    I fish there regularly ( once a week at least ).
    I have been catching 20 to 30 Bass a session BUT only 6 to 10 of these are legal size ( up to 400mm ). I have been seaching the main basin for schools then running littlemax blades through them ( they are most of the time suspended 10 to 12 feet ).
    Early morning try the weededges with spinnerbaits or jackals any darker colour like purples,blacks and even avacado colours GOLD for the jackals. Also the yellas have been hanging around the bubbler. Some saratoga been caught I have heard aswell not sure where but ?
    Hope this helps and look for a grey hornet on the water say hi.
    Thanks
    Paul
    Thanks Paul

We will be there at the end of March and staying at the scout camp. Will be in a 4m blue and white cruisecraft. I will give you a yell if I see you.
    Cheers
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by woolybugger View Post
    Good luck at McDonald mate, it is a fantastic lake to fish. We were there about 3-4 weeks ago and had a ball on fly, SP and lures. We mainly fished around the water tower and along the rock wall to the dam.

We caught heaps of Bass, a few Yella and a couple of stonka Saratoga around 90cm mark. Most being done by spinnerbaits.

We found a heap on te sounder right along there in approx 6m of water.

Yes you can kep your outboard on you boat but obviously use the electric.

Good luck and put a post in reports on how you go.
    Thanks WoolyBugger

Will take the fly gear as well and report how I go.

Cheers
    Steve

thanks for the info guys im going this weekend long weekend with the kayaks hope to get the fly out and have a flick should be good fun

Steve,

Did you end up at Lake Mac?

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Steve,

Did you end up at Lake Mac?
    Nah Daz, ended up at the deer park, but am keen to go there if you are ever interested!

Steve