Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to catch Eels? Please help

How to catch Eels? Please help

Hi fella's just wondering how I could catch Eels on a regular basis. Do you know any spots in Brisbabe which I can get lots in a session? What bait do they prefer because with bread I usually get by catches such as annoying Turtles and the likes.

Cheers in advance,

Tom.

Re: How to catch Eels? Please help

Why on earth do you want to catch eels Tom..?

Go and chase some whiting on poppers or keep the breaming going.
    Eels are horrible..!....The worst kind of vermin.

Pete

Thanks Pete. Need them for bait .

Tom

Tom
    Used to catch a few in the Bremer freshwater reaches, but they will be in all.

Garden worms, liver and the like.

Haven't bothered for years. But used skin the eels, Nanna would boil, the fry in slices in butter, very nice. Guess its an acquired taste, but then we used to eat Bronze Wing pigeon pie, Kangaroo tail, wild duck, quail. We must have been from the poorer class. Imagine if served in top restaurant nowadays.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Thanks Trev.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by mylestom View Post
    Tom
    Used to catch a few in the Bremer freshwater reaches, but they will be in all.

Garden worms, liver and the like.

Haven't bothered for years. But used skin the eels, Nanna would boil, the fry in slices in butter, very nice. Guess its an acquired taste, but then we used to eat Bronze Wing pigeon pie, Kangaroo tail, wild duck, quail. We must have been from the poorer class. Imagine if served in top restaurant nowadays.

Regards

Trev
    Thats the thing Trev...if that sort of produce is prepared and cooked with care, it can be beautiful, and certainly good enough to serve in a good restaurant.
    I watch that show on the ABC called the Cook and the the Chef. They use old style produce quite a lot and make some awesome looking dishes. Very clever cooking.
    and wild duck.... "YUM"

There are eels in the Logan River... maybe also in Dennis Lake? I know they're in just about every sizable farm dam in SE Queensland. Most acreage owners would be happy to lose a few eels, they're not very popular.

They catch heaps down here in the Bellinger River system, even used to be an Eel farm for export to Japan at Repton.

The slivers? tiny as a hair used to fetch about $4,000 per kilo. So must be some money in them.

At the local eel comp they were catching them up to about 8kilos.

Saw one the other day before the flood up at Thora just lazing around the Darkwood bridge area, as thick as your leg and about 4-5ft in the old scale.

But there should be lots in most systems around Brisbane, can even remember catching them in the paddock after rain, going across the grass from one dam to the other.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Quote Originally Posted by tailorboi99 View Post
    Thanks Pete. Need them for bait .
    Quote Originally Posted by tailorboi99 View Post

Tom

Bait? What are you chasing?

Tom, from your previous posts in other threads you sound a very keen young angler . I aggree with Pete, why not practice your skills on whiting, bream flathead etc.. You will find it very rewarding catching these fish on poppers, plastics and HB's. If lures aren't your thing, pump some yabbies or dig for some Blood worms. That's what I used to do when I was your age. (and still do now from time to time).

I commend your enthusiasm wanting to chase sharks and other monsters of the deep, but these fish are a real handful for even the most experience anglers. Hate to see a young angler get hurt fishing out of his depth.

Mate, if your really keen to get onto some decent fish, I myself and I am sure there are many other people on this site that would be more than happy too take you out and hopfully get you onto a few.

Ben

Now, now. our european friends are realy big on eel.
    And most that is caught here is exported at a premium.

In truth they will bught at just about anything, they will eat justabout anything even the feet off dicklings.

And yes if you have that particular taste and re invested with the methods of preparation.....they are very tasty..... aparantly.

Normal sized hooks (whatever that is), normal bait ( whatever you like)......if they are about you will be on.

Now the problem isn't catching your eel..... .....its dealing with the bugger when you get it landed...seriously... ....they are slipery and will do whatever it takes to get away.....they also have lots of sharp teeth and are very happy to use them if the oportunity arises.

they can also put up a respectable fight on light gear..........but as far as they are concerned the fight isnt over till they say it is.......put em in the esky and half an hour later.....you open that lid it is on again.

I will make three recommendations
    pliers long nosed
    a towel
    something with a lid that stays on.

There is never a dull moment with an eel lose in the boat

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Thanks fella's.

Thanks Bennywise - I am using em' for shark bait. Heard they awesome on them. Where are you located?

Tom

Eels are every where, you can also catch them in salt water. I can catch heaps of pike eels in the Brisbane river just with small live fish on the bottom.
    watch out for those teeth!

cheers.

Just fish for sharks with mullet and you will catch big eels. Then use them for bait if you want ... but not realy needed, sharks eat almost anything. Caught plenty on prawns..

A mate of mine just told me yesterday that he caught one as thick as ur calf under the bridge that joins fishermans island to the mainland. It should still be around as it cut through his 60lb leader while getting it up the rocks. He said he was casting right up against the pillions, Hi have heard theres also ment to be heaps at night at boat wreck in the creek downstream ( just around the bend)from the aquirium passage bridge lytton rd . you can see the wreck on google maps quite easly. I have heard of some monsters being caught at the redland bay ramp under the pontoon, They where being caught 4 shark bait 2!
    hope this is some help to ya.

Thanks Wokii1.

Tom