Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isuzu D-max and Holden Colorado - What's the difference

Isuzu D-max and Holden Colorado - What's the difference

Hey Ausfishers,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light for me. The father in-law has asked for some advice on buying a new work vehicle (if it was my car I'd buy a toyota of some sort, but he can't justify the price - his choice). So he is interest in one of these two.

Besides the obvious (badging) can someone advise what the major differences are. They look very similar and the holden rodeo used to have an isuzu engine in it. So is holden running a new motor etc and which is better would you recommend?

Pazz

Re: Isuzu D-max and Holden Colorado - What's the difference

G'day

As far as i'm aware, the rodeo was all isuzu, holden badged. If it were me, I'd be looking closely at the Isuzu, purely based on that. Either way you couldn't go wrong

Dave

there was a write up in, i think, the RACQ Mag this month. Both similar, the DMax comes in Diesel only, no petrol..& from memory was better appointed, had things standard that were extras on the Colorado.. ie side steps & carpet were two i seem to remember.

Same car, same factory, just different trim amd options and DR said the Isuzu only comes as a diesel. Think I read somewhere it is a new body on the same old chassis?

Holden lost its right to the isuzu name when GM USA sold its share in the company. They are obviously still bringing in the vehicle but there is no licensing agreement so Isuzu have joined the party. If I was looking at the two it would come down to servicing costs and warranties.

Other than that they are much the same with each having unique features.
    You are entitled to my opinion!
    -----------------------------------------

The chassis are identical. It is just a reskin.
    You are entitled to my opinion!
    -----------------------------------------

That's interesting guys, you'd wonder how they can compete, I thought I read the isuzu only has 60,000k warranty I think, but if they are identical it shouldn't matter.

If anyone owns one etc and has feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

Pazz

Quote Originally Posted by Pazz01 View Post
    That's interesting guys, you'd wonder how they can compete, I thought I read the isuzu only has 60,000k warranty I think, but if they are identical it shouldn't matter.

If anyone owns one etc and has feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

Pazz

here's a couple of tests..
    http://www.themotorreport.com.au/931...omment-page-1/
    http://www.themotorreport.com.au/559...s-and-pricing/

We've got a couple of Colorado's for work - so far so good. Couple of things - the cab chassis has a longer wheelbase and heavier springs if you're carrying load. Mine's the 4wd diesel auto styleside - It had new springs and shocks in it within two weeks - carries load a lot better now.
    Standard ground clearance is very good for a ute that looks small on the road. The ifs front end is way better tucked than my last lux.
    They are a very comfortable cruiser - for a twin cab ute.
    I'd make sure the d-max has abs and brakeforce distribution - it's worth it esp if towing.
    Nearly all the new utes are thai built now so I'd buy on price. Lux's aren't what they were, and are underspecced against the current competition. I had the last model jap built lux and it was good, but those days are gone.

The colorado is now fitted with a different motor as the d-max is the only one with the isuzu. I cannot think what the colorado motor is off the top of my head but i am sure it is a more powerful motor.
    Graeme

I thought it was the same motor? Same car, same production line?
    Been wrong before though..........

The rodeo had the isuzu motor and the colorado is different in the diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by gawby View Post
    The rodeo had the isuzu motor and the colorado is different in the diesel.
    AFAIK the only difference between the RA7 Rodeo/DMax and the Colorado is the front end styling and the name, which were changed when GM sold their share in Isuzu as they retained the Rodeo name.

If you look on the Holden website and the DMax website the motor specs are identical for power, torque, displacement etc,

The only confusing bit is the difference in revs for max torque between the 2 but I suspect a typo.

I have a 2007 Rodeo with the 3lt Common Rail Diesel and am very happy so far
    Cheers Glen,

One Life, What will you catch next!

Hi Pazz,

they are the same.

I have the Colorado 4X4 Diesel Auto Dual cab Style side, got it in october last year. Ordered it a few month prior and had to wait.

I am reasonably happy with it so far about 6000Kms most of this around town (Townsville) with the occasional highway run to cairns.

The ride is much better than the 2003 RA dual cab 4X4 Diesel that I had a few years ago. these are in my opinion the toughest of the dual cabs, I haven't driven the new hilux but I have has a bit of experience with the Navara and the Bt50 and Ranger.

The mazda and ford are a bit more refined than the Colorado but not quote as tough as I previously suggested.

Fuel economy average since I bought it (6000kms more in town han highway no towing) is 10.2 Litres per 100kms which is virtually the same as the RA I previously had but the new motor is much more powerful and refined.

The auto is somewhat agricultural (a 4 speed auto that feel strong but a bit clunky and inclined to rev rather than use the torque of the engine if you want to give the accelerator a good press) but does the job quite well but reminds you that you are not driving a conventional car. eg falcon or commodore. (the 6sp auto in the falcon is quite nice).

There is more wind noise at around 100kms than I think is acceptable in a new car these days but this really is a minor gripe.

Holden are and always have been great in any problems tha I have had in the 3 vehicles that I have leased with them over the last 6 years or so.

Dealer network for Holden is much better than Isuzu.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you way want answered.

Cheers Eamon

Hi again Pazz,

I have a couple of other comments about the Colorado after I took it for a trip yesterday which included about 20 kms of up hill single lane tar road max speed 40-50kmh followed buy 40 kms of washed out rutted dirt road with a couple small steps (400mm) exiting a couple small creeks both rocky and clay. Followed by about 80kms of fast dirt road which was very dry and dusty with some small corrugations mostly on the corners.

I was the second vehicle of 2.

I was very impressed with the performance of the auto in the climb which surprised me as I was expecting some revving and gear hunting but it was happy to stay in the one gear and never felt like changing and always seemed to be doing it effortlessly. I found the drive up more enjoyable than the last time I when up in my old car, Holden SV6 5sp auto which likes to change gears a lot going up. I didn’t do the dirt that time.

The rough dirt ride was fairly typical of a ute that is not loaded other 2 people over such terrain but felt very solid with no rattles and only the occasional scrape, the limited slip diff works very well as I didn’t use 4wd at all even in the slippery clay sections or any where else for that matter, although this was by no means difficult terrain articulation was satisfactory and the suspension performed very well, although I am sure would be improved by a quality after market set up.

On the fast dirt it handled quite well although you had to be careful and watch the speed through the bends as it was easily unsettled on fast bends when hitting some corrugation but in a straight line small corrugations at any speed to 110kmh I didn’t go any quicker than that.

I feel that with a better set of tyres and running slightly lower pressures (I had a service recently and they inflate the rear tyres for maximum load which is not good unloaded) and a little more weight in the rear of the vehicle and I could have tried it in 4WD high as well.

No dust what so ever came into the cabin, I have the air-conditioning on recirculation with a medium fan speed.

I am keen to do a trip up to the Cape but will have to wait till next year due to work commitments.

The longer I have this vehicle the more satisfied I am with it.

Cheers Eamon