Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spearfishing North of C'von

Spearfishing North of C'von

Better late than never. Saturday, Feb 21 Misch and Ben had a go at a spot that none of us had tried before, a place with a lot of deep gutters and high rising coral bommies. The boys told of various small Mackerel, different Trevally species, a number of Sharks and even a Coral Trout being seen! All I saw was perfect conditions, small surf and birds working out wide. I was restricted to watching from the beach due to losing a clip off one of my fins, time for a new pair I reckon, so didn’t get to dive but got some great shots of the conditions and the fish. Still, what a day!

Here are just a few... Enjoy

Check out the mouth on that Cod!

Damo
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

Re: Spearfishing North of C'von

Good onya Damo, mate u guys r livin' the dream over there, divin' fishin' surfin' what else do u get up too.

Cheer's Pete.

Mate, whats the structures on the cliffs in the background in pic 2 ??

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    Good onya Damo, mate u guys r livin' the dream over there, divin' fishin' surfin' what else do u get up too.

Cheer's Pete.
    What else is their to do? lovin' life atm i can tell ya that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    Mate, whats the structures on the cliffs in the background in pic 2 ??
    Rio Tinto operations, you might be able to spot the Cape Cuvier Jetty, i can't but yeah that's where they export the salt.

Cheers
    Damo

Cheer's Damo, keep up the good work, and the reports, I always look forward to seeing what u lads have been doing.

Pete.

Some great pics there Damo. Looking forward to more of your reports.
    Marty.

Cheers fellas. Anyone spear over the east coast?

sure do..

about 50 50 spear-line fishing

Love those tuskys. I notice that alot of the fish don't have puncture holes on one side. Is that because you're using a pranger on the shaft or are you using hand spears?
    I do a fair bit of both. Mostly chase lobbys when i go for a dive these days. Haven't had the gun out for a while.

Spear fishing sounds crazy, so keen to do it though! Look like you boys picked up some excellent fish tho! Beautifull looking tuskies and cod! Sick little barrel in one of those shots too! Good work boys

Some great fish yet again! prime territory over there! Keep em comen mate!
    cuzza

WOW.Awesome place. Great photography too. And the best part i noticed was that there was not another soul in sight, Must feel like you own that place. Pretty bloody envious i have to say . Baldchin groper is a beauty aswell. Ben

thats what i thought as well Blooey...Baldy chin groper...fantastic piccies Westy!!!...beautiful part of the country you guys live in...must be hard to drag yourself away from the ocean some days huh...cheers for the top shlef piccies and report...

Quick question...i noticed in the 5th picture...the boys are snorkling without their flag...is this the norm when spearing without a boat???...also do you spear a fish...bring it in...then go back out???...id imagine you boys wouldnt want to over excite the men in grey suits

Mrs Benno1
    Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by kokomo View Post
    sure do..

about 50 50 spear-line fishing
    Good to hear, what are the main target species over there?

Quote Originally Posted by mattooty View Post
    Love those tuskys. I notice that alot of the fish don't have puncture holes on one side. Is that because you're using a pranger on the shaft or are you using hand spears?
    I do a fair bit of both. Mostly chase lobbys when i go for a dive these days. Haven't had the gun out for a while.
    Just good shots mate and they're pretty slim spearheads, hard to notice in some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOEY View Post
    WOW.Awesome place. Great photography too. And the best part i noticed was that there was not another soul in sight, Must feel like you own that place. Pretty bloody envious i have to say . Baldchin groper is a beauty aswell. Ben
    Really enjoy my photography mate, i think it's important to take the time for a good photo. The fish with the white chins, yep, they are Baldchin Groper or Baldies as we call them.

Quote Originally Posted by Benno1 View Post
    thats what i thought as well Blooey...Baldy chin groper...fantastic piccies Westy!!!...beautiful part of the country you guys live in...must be hard to drag yourself away from the ocean some days huh...cheers for the top shlef piccies and report...

Quick question...i noticed in the 5th picture...the boys are snorkling without their flag...is this the norm when spearing without a boat???...also do you spear a fish...bring it in...then go back out???...id imagine you boys wouldnt want to over excite the men in grey suits

Mrs Benno1
    Sunny
    Allways hard to leave when you get days like these. Nah, we have a short cord on the end of the gun that we keep our fish on, it brings other fish around aswell as the sharks, otherwise it would take forever to land only a few fish.