Thread: tips on Yamaha trim and tilt bleeding

tips on Yamaha trim and tilt bleeding

Hi guys i just fitted a new tilt motor to my Yamaha HP four stroke filled it with new oil but it wont lift the motor any tips on bleeding the system? I have the lift screw wound in and can still lift the motor up and down by hand with some resistance at the top and the bottom

Re: tips on Yamaha trim and tilt bleeding

Your reservoir is full if at full tilt up it is full, tilt it up fill the reservoir, replace plug let the engine down, then tilt up and fill reservoir keep repeating without the motor until it bleeds enough for the motor to catch and do some by its self, keep repeating up and down, pretty soon it will be doing enough by it's self to make the final stages clearer, the oil will aerate so recheck fluid level an hour after final fill.

Also later in the cycling keep the filler plug out.

cheers fnq

i have filled the reservoir and dropped the motor down but when i hit the tilt switch there is a lot of tilt motor noise but no movement. Do i lift it up and down by hand ?????

Yeah cycle it up and down by hand, each time refilling reservoir full, every now and then try the motor, sooner or later it will catch some oil and start pumping...or at least it should. usually its easier than what seems to be happening to you, why the new motor? could all this be related...valving stuck open ???

cheers fnq

crisis averted there is a little ball bearing that sits inside the release screw fell out when i changed out the oil. With three attempts with the motor on and off and a sore back lifting the 100 up and down i knew there was something amiss. All working well now but to late to go fishing. The problem was the motor rusted through on the transom side so you could not see how bad it was until it was off. The new motor is covered in grease and rescue steel so that will never happen again!

Thanks for your help FNQ

Bargain...the end of frustration, all's well that ends well.

cheers fnq