Thread: Rod for SA salmon off the beach

Rod for SA salmon off the beach

I have just booked a four day camping trip on the beach in South Australia (never been there before) and will be hoping to lock horns with some South Australian salmon. It is an annual trip my brother in law goes on so it could become an annual trip for me too.

Looking for advice on a good rod to take. I do a little bit of beach fishing with a 10 foot Ugly Stick but it's not a great rod so I am going to buy a new rod to take - spend up to $250 of thereabouts. Was going to stick my Stradic 6000 FI on it.

Would be great to hear from anyone from SA who fish for salmon off the beach and what gear they use, line class, braid, mono? etc.

Cheers

Re: Rod for SA salmon off the beach

Mate i live in QLD, but travelled through there in 05. Fished Streaky bay for salmon up to 7 kilos, one of the best sessions i can remember, they were every where and huge. Smashing bait everywhere. I used 30 lb braid and 40lb leader, but you could go lighter if you wanted just to catch salmon, but i was chasing Jewies [ SA is the home of MONSTER Jew]. I was using a sliding tee piece with a swivel on the end to attatch the sinker.Down to a swivel that is suitably rated.I was using a general surf rod,12foot 2 piece, the same as you would use for Tailor. . Good luck give us a report on your return!!
    Ben

Wilson make a range of rods for SA conditions. I would check them out as they are great value quality rods. They certainly are a great fish to target, out fight a Tailor any day. Not bad done in a smoker as well or used as a flesh bait.

Cheers
    Scott

Billy C
    i use wilson 8144 & 7144 rods & prefer reel seat further from rod but than closer
    7= 7wrap, 144 inches long.
    7144 is best for lures 85-120gm. should be $120-140
    30lb berkley big game mono.
    maybe a bit heavy just for salmon but can handle noahs/mullies/rays aswell.
    where you heading?
    cheers
    BigAsh

Fished in SA for years chasing sambos from the beach and rocks. The only rod I would use is a Butterworth MT144 9 wrap or something close to that, with a 6" Alvey.
    It’s big and heavy but you could pull a tug in with the combo. You need a rod that can cast 3 to 4 ounces 60 to 80 meters if they are out behind the breakers. A good egg beater is ok on the beach but if you end up on the rocks or cliffs you need the Alvey, or you won’t be able to lift them.
    What part of SA are you targeting, the best sambos come from places like Sheringa Beach, Frenchmans Rocks, up around Smoke Bay over on Eyre Peninsular or Butlers Beach or Troubridge Point in York Peninsular. You can catch them all year but Easter through to August are the best months.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

We are camping on Butler's Beach. Apparently a mate of my brother in laws knows Mrs Butler. Will be there from 2-5th April.

I believe we are only fishing off the beach so my Stradic 6000 should be OK. Must confess I have never owned an Alvey so I don't want to go there and spend the first two days getting comfortable with the reel. My Stradic is currently spooled with 20lb mono so I might upgrade it to 30lb.

Thanks for your replies - I will be sure to post some pics when I return.