View Poll Results: Will you be attending the Save Our Bay rally on 28th February 2009 ?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - Will be attending the BBQ afterwards as well

27 25.23%
  • Yes - But can't make the BBQ afterwards

12 11.21%
  • No - Would like to come but have prior commitments

48 44.86%
  • No - Don't believe in the aims / cause of the rally

15 14.02%
  • What Rally ?

5 4.67%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Will YOU be attending the Save Our Bay Rally on 28th February 2009

Re: Will YOU be attending the Save Our Bay Rally on 28th February 2009

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    I for one am sh!t scared. If we do not get organised, then at review time (about 3 years time) there will be nothing to stop the closures becoming 30%.

The zones will, as with the set coming now, be complex and difficult to read or spot, so that the Ratbags will have plenty of opportunity to trap Mums and Dads out in the tinny without a GPS. They will be like lambs to the slaughter.

To those who don't agree with our course of action, please, what's your alternative? I'm sure we'd all love to hear from you, or are you scared to reveal your watermelon coloured ar$es??

Tim
    what colour was yours during the last two rallies? I did not see you there !!!!!

I don't think labelling people is conducive to garenering a good turn out at the rally or for support in general.

If you want to see my Watermelon Arse, will be willing to show it.
    Names calling or Insults, is a sure way of not getting people to turn up.
    Were you at the first one we had, when we drove from Raby Bay into the city ??????
    Some ought to step down from the soap box.

I'll be there,
    Blue Bluefin with yak loaded as well. Haven't missed a protest yet but have a different boat this time and a yak.
    I'm a bit disappointed with the poll. It seems to be the same old story.

You can only wonder what will happen IF ONLY WE HAVE A HUGE TURNOUT and the govt suddenly realises that there are more fisher-people out there than they thought.

If the greenies were fair dinkum they would be trying to stop the BAC from destroying 15% of the bays sea grass and not hassling a few recreational fisher-people.

Come on people GET OFF YOUR BUTTS and do something to help yourselves and the bay by joining the protest. Throw a few posters on the car and come join in.

Cheers
    Stue

PS
    Has anyone handed out any flyers to businesses in Redcliffe? I’ve got about 60 printed off so far.

the greenines will not take on the BAC..they know they cannot win that one..that would be like trying to stop dredging of the shipping channels..never going to happen.

I must admit around 2-3 years ago when these changes were first proposed I thought yeah why not ! Could be a good thing, without really looking into the real issues affecting the bay and why the changes had been proposed.

It was only through involvement with SOBA and people like Chris, Tim, Phill and others that it became apparent THIS JUST AIN'T RIGHT !

So I got involved, attended previous rallies and am now helping to organise this rally so that these same people and SOBA can get the message out there ! Out to people that were in my same position 2-3 years ago.

So that's why I DO believe in the cause of this rally.

Damo.

PS: Luv your passion Tim !
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 19-02-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Gee I sure hope the poll is incorrect. Time is running out and we only have 24 people out of this entire site who have voted that they will come? We all may as well sell the boats and our fishing gear now. I just came back from a trip out in the bay yesterday with Whynott. Caught a decent feed too but when we got back to the ramp at Lota there were two workmen mounting a new sign with a large map of the green zones. Reality has long sunk in for me but I am still amazed at how many people still have a ho hum attitude about what is happening. Regardless of who we do or don't like on here it has become most important that we all band together and put a big effort in. Fighting amongst ourselves with slander is not going to help the issue. Don't persecute those who at least are showing some passion about this cause. I congratulate Tim, Damo, Lucky_Phil and much more for their devotion to this. Now it is up to everyone collectively to have their say or kiss our fishing lifestyle goodbye forever.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

I would like to attend but will be in Melb attending the Motor Show for work Fri / Saturday - Doh..

Good luck...

Steve

Well my confidence was raised today, heard from rellies in Brisbane, not Ausfish members but know all about the rally and plan to be there with mates. I guess it proves at least that word is getting out, so all you out there promoting this, take heart your work is having an impact.

Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    If you want to see my Watermelon Arse, will be willing to show it.
    Names calling or Insults, is a sure way of not getting people to turn up.
    Were you at the first one we had, when we drove from Raby Bay into the city ??????
    Some ought to step down from the soap box.
    A year ago, I wasn't an Ausfisher, was new to boating, had no idea about it or the issues. Now I do. Webby, do you have an alternative method for us to highlight the issues and action a plan to bring about the cessation of green motivated and logic free closures?

Or do you believe in the closures? If you do, then the name calling was correct, and warranted, IMO.

I'm all ears.

Indeed, I wonder whether your comment (and Pinhead's, but Greg, you're just a big shit stirrer) means that;
    1) if you weren't at the first two, you didn't care, or
    2) if you weren't in the first two, you were a Greenie, or
    3) if you weren't in the first two, you are not a member of the "club" so we don't want you.

All of which are, frankly, pretty stupid. I respect the efforts of all that went on those rallies. I only wish I had been there.

I have had a boat for all of 22 months. It is an old desire, but a new passion.

A watermelon, for your info, is a Greenie. Green on the outside, Red (Commie bastard) in the middle. Just in case you didn't understand...

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

99% I’ll be there, and at the BBQ. Can’t add the other 1% at this stage due to my father being hospitalised after a nasty fall, with several operations to come. He’d want me to go regardless of his condition, as the SOBA cause is exactly what he believes in passionately, and he’s 82. However, I may be required by mum’s side.

I see reference to SOBA and the Rally in John Crawford Marine’s latest mail-out, apparently that goes out to 2,500 people, so hopefully we get a ship load more boats than the poll suggests.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Mate if you no me or had of checked up before pasting your second reply, I'd be more passionate about the bay then you or most others on here.
    Having fished the Bay for more then 30years, i've seen some big changes out there.
    1. Fishing (Boat) numbers have triple/quadrupled in this time.
    2. Willful Destruction by developers, Port of Brisbane and others.
    3. Run off from industries have destroyed close in breeding habitats.
    4. Some regulations were made for rec' fishos, while not effecting Pro's.
    5. Doesn't matter how many new reg's they bring out, there are still a fair majority out there that dont abide or follow these reg's.

Yes i believe the bay does need some closures, to help protect for the future.
    But not to the extent of the forth coming 1 mar 09 ones, as i no most of these forth coming areas, and with the exception of a few, cannot understand why some of these areas are being close, when there not much down below except sand.
    Yet in other areas, they are allowing the dredging and destruction of some of the best banks and environments the bay has to offer.
    A lot of this was to accommodate the Greens and keep them on side.

Do you really think life in the ocean can go on unchecked without some protection.

As to not being a member of some so called CLUB, I'd like to know whose Club this is and what gives you the right to say no one is wanted, when many not being in any so called Club ?????? have done more on the side lines then you in your short time have done.

As to attending the last two rallies and not being passionate, you make me laugh.

I have been on two Fisheries Advisory Committees (MAC'S), and over the years have been called upon to give relevant information in regards to Bay Fishing/Environment.

You may have jumped on the band wagon in a big way in your short time, but calling/suggesting those that have not stated whether they are attending the up coming rally names, is a childish gester.

How much do you really no about the Bay and its infrastructures/habitats/fish species/reef-rubble areas etc.

I'm all for everyone being passionate about a area and its on going existence, but i suggest you find out about someone before sprucking off at the mouth.

The world just doesnt exist in the confines of Ausfish

If you had of check up with Phill or others you may have found out a few things about me.
    regards

Timi, Webby,

I know you both and you both have some great things to add for the benifit of the Bay and knowledge for us all. I think you guys are getting off on the wrong side of the ramp.

Lets keep it together team

The Bay needs you both

Cheers

Sorry i wont be able to make it due to work but i will be thinking of you.

To those who don't agree with our course of action, please, what's your alternative? I'm sure we'd all love to hear from you, or are you scared to reveal your watermelon coloured ar$es??

Tim
    Webby,

I am aware of your reputation.

I AM NOT against closures which have a basis in good science.

I AM against closures which are decided and implemented due to a political preference deal, with nothing to do with science, and directed at a scapegoat (Rec Anglers).

I am against closures which only ban fishing. Eco Tours and divers should be out as well, their anchors do the same damage.

I am also against people using the anonymity of a poll to whiteant an organisation which is doing a lot of work to try and get things changed, to get things onto a scientific footing.

If you and I are on the same team, I apologise! If we're not, I don't!

Regards,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Webby,

I am aware of your reputation.

I AM NOT against closures which have a basis in good science.

I AM against closures which are decided and implemented due to a political preference deal, with nothing to do with science, and directed at a scapegoat (Rec Anglers).

I am against closures which only ban fishing. Eco Tours and divers should be out as well, their anchors do the same damage.

I am also against people using the anonymity of a poll to whiteant an organisation which is doing a lot of work to try and get things changed, to get things onto a scientific footing.

If you and I are on the same team, I apologise! If we're not, I don't!

Regards,

Tim
    Not to mention the pro trawlers that drag their nets along the bottom and overturn all the corals. I know a diver who has seen this happening and he describes it like "A grader has flattened out the entire reef!"

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

I think possibly there is a problem that people do not understand the aims of the rally.

The predominant aim of the rally is to show that people are concerned about recreational fishing and boating issues and are prepared to turn out and say so.

What specificaly those concerns are in many cases at this will be an individual matter.

You are free to express those concerns on your plackards.....Please be reasonable.

We need to show that we are as numerous and as concerned as other people who wish to influence these issues.

As I have said before, most of the issues that prompted us to these actions while fresh in our minds are more or less past for now.
    We need to be looking forward to the comming issues and learning from the past.

So if you are concerned.. show up.
    Concerned about what realy matters little. The details realy matter little.

What matters is that we are recreational fishers and boaters and we expect to be considered as a majority group and we expect to be viewed as concerned about the health of the enviromnent and the health of the fishery.
    We also expect reason, access and practicality in regulation.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.