Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fishing rods on a air plane????

fishing rods on a air plane????

Hi all,
    Can anyone help me out? I am wondering what the go is with taking fishing rods on a plane?
    Whats the maximum length rod tube you can take? if your tube is over a specific length do you need special permission? Will they let you take them as carry on?
    want to take three rods longest just over 2 m all in one tube so tube will be probaly 2.3 m long??

Re: fishing rods on a air plane????

Hello, If its near 2 m, I doubt it will be a carry on, you can ask but most prob be luggage, as for length, you should be able to get most anything on, I've traveled with surfboards heaps, my board bag was 8 ft and had 3 boards in it, there was allways people with bigger ones,

one tip is don't put heaps of " Fragile " stickers on it, it will only provoke the blokes to chuck it higher and harder or run a forklift through it, have a nice flight,

Cheers, where ya goin?

You won't be able to take it as carry on. Check with your airline if it will fit in the cargo hold. I've taken a 7 footer to Cairns, Darwin and PNG with very few problems.

Yeah I have taken surf boards before I pulled one out of its bag at my home break after a flight to find it 1 ½ foot shorter then I put it in at the other end
    Never taken fishing rods but. I am planing on buying a length of P.V.C. to ship them in .
    Flying to Weipa Later this year and looking at buying some gear wondering if I need to make sure I only buy two piece rods

I just bought 2 x 5 pcs Majorcraft travel rods for the same purpose. I can take them on as a carry on or they fit in my small-medium suitcase.

Ben

Hey coucho, each airline company has a different length limit, so check before you book your flight. I've flown to Cairns a few times with a two meter length of 50mm pvc (pressure pipe).

Quote Originally Posted by coucho View Post
    Flying to Weipa Later this year and looking at buying some gear wondering if I need to make sure I only buy two piece rods
    Make sure you check the details with the flight that takes you to Weipa. It has been a few years now, but when we went we checked a bag each and two rod tubes. While our bags were under the weight limit, we were asked which was the priority as they may need to leave one of the bags/tubes at the airport if the total cargo was near the plane's limit - pilot's discretion was the rule! Luckily both bags and rod tubes met us at Weipa airport, but it was a long flight wondering if they made it on the plane!

Hi guys , 2metres is the max length the domestic carriers will take , the will actually measure it as well.
    Travel rods are great but beware the quality of the lower end stuff.
    I recently flew to Townsville on both the carriers and had no dramas.
    The go is a pvc tube , pref 100mm sewer pipe with a glued end at the bottom and a thread cap at the top,security seal that as well and the old "fragile" sticker won't go a stray.The pvc tubes commercially are good as well but personally these work well and are reasonably cheap to construct. Dont forget it might get calculated in your baggage so see how you go.carry on luggage , some get really antsy about reels (specially with braid) on them, so might be safer to put them in the boot case.Along with lures and the trusty scissors,they will find them anywhere, even when you can't(lol).The other way is to send them by couriers etc but bewrae the insurance issues and also length restriction.Most of the lodges are happy to sort you out with pick up etc .At you know that it will be their for you when you arrive , not 3 days into the experience.
    Ian

Coucho,
    I've flown on different airlines, no problems at all with them. Like the others say tho, make sure they're fully protected in a tube with fragile stickers on them. When i flew from Honiara to the island we were staying at in the Solomon Islands, we all took a 2.4m approx rod tube, which fitted in their twin prop plane no worries.
    I'm flying to Townsville later this year to goto Hinchinbrook Island with Virgin Blue, rang them up, and they're maximum length for rod tubes is 3.0m.
    It depends on the airline. Find out who you are flying with and give them a ring. The girl at Virgin Blue Call Centre was more then helpful.
    Cheers
    Mark
    Never enough time or days in the week to go fishing.

Thanks for the info guys much appreciated. Not sure I would go for anything less then a two piece. Ian I never thought about braid on a reel as carry on or sissors either thanks for that well worth considerering.

Mate i have take rods OS in one off those Jarvis walker tubes got it a kmart $25.00 this is off jw web site cheers
    Also i take 3 or 4 rods in the 1 tube but each rod is in its own sock

ROD AND REEL STORAGE
    To protect your rod when travelling make sure you have a Jarvis Walker rod tube. With a strong inner tube made from PVC and a material outer lining these tubes will protect your favourite rod when in transit.
    Jarvis Walker cotton rod bags and reel bags will help protect your equipment while our rod wraps our great when storing multiple rods on a boat or just in the home.

Quote Originally Posted by coucho View Post
    Thanks for the info guys much appreciated. Not sure I would go for anything less then a two piece. Ian I never thought about braid on a reel as carry on or sissors either thanks for that well worth considerering.
    Hey mate,

I wouldn't be too concerned with multi pcs rod performance. I too had the same opinion.

To be honest, I rate my Major craft 4pcs B/C over my 1 pcs IMX in the same class. When loaded up, you wouldn't even know it was a multi pcs.
    I am finding I pefer to use this rod even when not travelling.

Having a 2m tube when travelling can be a pain in the ass. Not just with the airlines, but when you get into cabs, buses etc...

Having a rod that you can fit into your bag is soo much more convenient. IMO

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Bennywise View Post
    Hey mate,

I wouldn't be too concerned with multi pcs rod performance. I too had the same opinion.

To be honest, I rate my Major craft 4pcs B/C over my 1 pcs IMX in the same class. When loaded up, you wouldn't even know it was a multi pcs.
    I am finding I pefer to use this rod even when not travelling.

Having a 2m tube when travelling can be a pain in the ass. Not just with the airlines, but when you get into cabs, buses etc...

Having a rod that you can fit into your bag is soo much more convenient. IMO

Ben
    I also like these types of rods when hiking. It fits into my backpack without any dramas. Ever tried climbing down a cliff face to get to a nice looking spot with a rod in your hand . Never again.

Ben

call the airline, esp if going to Weipa as the restrictions may be more onerous than between capital cities

Fishing line on reels has been an issue for me in the past, and once your checked baggage has gone, it is a bit of a dilemma to pack reels that were intended to travel light as carry on. Happily we were let on board at Alice Springs airport about 5 years ago. Security checks at the departure gate are not conducted by the airline, but by a firm contracted to ???

Rod tubes - allow plenty of time to check in, as you will need to go to one place to check your normal bags, and another to check the rod tubes. Probably same at arrival

Also do something to stop rod tubes rolling on baggage conveyers and carts, either stick two together, or affix a handle - if doing the latter, watch out for intrusion of rivets etc maybe a cheapy suitcase handle attached with cable ties, or something in webbing or rope.

Put rods tip to butt with overlap, and use rod bags, as vibration will cause nasty white spots of powder in the rod finish, if nothing worse. Neoprene rod wraps work well to bind bundles of rods.

Not convinced you can take fishing rods as carry on baggage.

Do agree that a pack rod and spare reel in the main bag may be a last resort if rod tubes and other gear disappear. That said, you can get a good range of tackle in Weipa from camping store, and believe it or not, from the newsagent - or so we found a couple of years ago.

Hope you have a great trip!!!

Rick K

I carried 2 8' rods in this tube from Rocky to Bris. I think it was with Virgin Blue. There limit is 3m.

Wags
    More reading for you - http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=140935

Attachment 42274 Attachment 42275