Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Most popular reels

Re: Most popular reels

to be more specific, I think we need to talk about time frames.
    What I mean is , that some people under say 30 years of age haven`t had the opportunity to own some of the great old classic ABU`s etc, and they probably never will and don`t care to.
    Probably , my favourite overhead for bottom fishing is the 20/40 star from Shimano. I have noticed it has been discontinued in their 09 catalogue.

I think it is a better reel than their Torium or Daiwa`s Saltist., but if I was half my age, I probably wouldn`t even look at it.

I have owned good and bad models from many different brands.
    cheers

Back on track

At a guess I would say there would be more Jarvis walkers in garages across the country than any other brand. Most likely shimanos a close second.

As for the most popular individual model...a WILD guess maybe a baitrunner. (????) They’ve been in production while and are not priced out of reach for most people.

However if we called an alvey a single model rather than the brand that would most likely replace the bait runner at the top of the tree

JIM
    What would Macgyver do . . . . . ?

[quote=Jungle Jim;972291]Dave since you seem to know your way around Penns...is the new stuff as good as the old stuff?

Can you please add some comments regarding the Usa made penns vs the asian made ones.
    Can you clarify why you believe a sealine tournament slt cant be compared to a international or tiagra?

I like the look of the senator you have for sale and am keen as to why you hold them in such high regard.
    Are the new senators made in the usa like the one you have for sale?
    If not, does that make yours more collectable?

Likewise i would love to hear from abu guys?
    Is the new stuff as good as the old stuff?
    Can you provide some insight as to why you like abus so much? Is it the simplicity? is it something you grew up with?

I hope this is taken in good faith
    It’s just i would rather read some comments as to why they are your favourite (or most popular) rather than just getting into a bun fight.

JIM
    [/quote]

Thank you for the question, at least you haven't made sweeping statements here like some seem to be quite happy to do at the drop of a hat.

It would appear that my previous post was either too difficult for one person in particular to comprehend or maybe it was just taken to be having a direct go at him, which nothing could be further from the truth.

Jim, take that 4/0 that you were commenting on. I own four other 4/0 sized reels (an 80's HLW, a 90's H and a an early '90 45GLS). I do not own a late model version of these with the graphite or metal half frame so am not really placed to comment. The old one for sale was manufactured in 1957 and bought new in 1958. I think that alone speaks volumes for relaibility, performance and for market shareof that range of reels. Not only are they still being made (maybe not in quite that configuration), but but they have also been refined (by both Penn and other manufacturers of aftermarket gear such as Accurate and Tiburon) because hey, lets face it Penn did the best they could with the technology available back then. The Senator series has proven to be one of the most enduring series of reel ever made.

I will openly admit that I do not own (or ever have any wish to own) any of the lower end (or Asian manufacture) Penn gear because IMHO it is not suited to what I want to do with my gear (read would probably fall apart). That is just one way of saying that cheap is still cheap no matter whose name is on the packet.

Re the Sealine Tournament. I will have to admit that I have looked at them but they just didn't do anything for me. One thing that put me off them was the lack of any sort of numbers of them being used around my local area. I wouldn't like to put an exact %age figure on just what the breakdown of manufacturers of the reels of the boats that go looking for billfish and large pelagics in my area would be but it seems to be dominated by Internationals, Tiagras and the odd Avett etc.

I have also personally tried something a bit different of late (actually testing out wether or not I was being myopic about what I consider quality reels) and have purchased something out of the Asian market to hot-rod up a little bit and see how it goes (no, it is not a well known brand really but the idea was to upgrade the drag (to HT-100 or carbontex) and bearings to see if I could make a reel that would keep-up with a 30 series lever drag). So yeah, I believe I am keeping an open mind as for the moment the reel is looking very promising with some series drag figures at strike and sunset after the extra work I've done to it. In fact it seriously puts a standard T-30-II to shame.

Flairj I saw your comment about being a tool. Sorry mate, I guess you should have fair warning about what comes next. It is such a pity that someone could have such a juvenile dummyspit about someone else taking him to task about saying something a bit silly.

Have a nice day all. The real answer to the question is whatever you feel the most comfortable with and can afford is the best reel for you.

DaveH

Anyone got any thoughts on the normal Certate?
    Cheers, Bandit

Tracker Avalanche V18 DC - 175 EFI Mercury OptiMax
    Quintrex 475 TopEnder - 60 EFI Yamaha 4 Stroke

dont know weather are they that popular or not but as im only using these reels in PPB and sometimes offshore...............daiwa certate 3500HD and daiwa certate 2500R custom.these two are the main guns in my arsenel atm as i normally use them for flicking lures,plastic and the odd bottom bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by BarraBandit View Post
    Anyone got any thoughts on the normal Certate?

Standard Certate is good. Best thing is you can upgrade the handle or get a shallow spool or add some bling. Mine is still going strong without a service after three years