Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin - Good eating?

Re: Marlin - Good eating?

If you are going to eat one make sure it is only a small one, they can build up high mercury levels in the bigger fish but the little ones should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Fish Flakes, crab sticks, sea food extender - all the same stuff - I am pretty sure that marlin and other pelagics are one of the main ingredients.
    Crab sticks
    Just 30 per cent actual fish, the rest of the bulk comes from wheat starch, sugar and soya protein. The pink colour comes not from crab, but from cochineal, and the white from calcium carbonate, otherwise known as chalk....yummo

Not too bad at all.

Thanks Guys, Its good to know that if it all goes wrong for the fish it wont be wasted.
    What constitutes a little one, 25kg and under?
    Brendan

they are ok up to about 70 - 80kg...over that.....dont eat a lot of it

Same thing applies to spanyiards and wahoo...but from a different perspective

moderation is the key

Greg

cooked some black marlin on the barby was a bit tough and dry[maybe overcooked]then last week decided to crumb some.I was surprised how nice it was,and would definately eat again.

if ya cooking it on the barbie...use the same cooking methods as if it was tuna....dont cook it too long.....should be cooked about half way through when ya take it off the plate. I agree that sliced into thinnish fillets (about 5-10mm) then crumbed or battered, it is brilliant. One of my favourite fish cocktails.

Greg