Tim

Re: Line Testing Breaking strain.

Not yet Tim, prob today.

I have also put up some knot tests
    Paulus

Hey guys
    Tim I got the line,
    Results better than you thought. I also put up some knot tests and an animation Double blood Knot by Paulus .
    Thanks for the line and input Tim
    Paulus
    See it all at
    http://www.pcwi.com.au/fishing/index.htm

Unreal Paulus,
    Averaging nearly 35 lb. Not bad from 15 lb claimed. When people talk about Fins, and then recommend it, you know why.
    Thanks for the use of your professional equipment and your own professionalism. This is fantastic to know, now I can screw the drag up and hope it all holds together. Look out Sweeties.
    Tim

Hey Guys
    Better take a serious look at the leader and knots you use, before you crank up.
    I just added a new knot "Double blood by Paulus" an animation i did today.
    I did a test on the standard blood knot for joining braid to mono and it slipped at half the breaking strain.
    The easiest knot is the double albright as per my animation at this stage, I am being sent some knots to further test.
    Paulus
    See it all at
    Thanks

Righto,
    I'll send you off some knots too.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_N View Post
    Unreal Paulus,
    Averaging nearly 35 lb. Not bad from 15 lb claimed. When people talk about Fins, and then recommend it, you know why.
    Thanks for the use of your professional equipment and your own professionalism. This is fantastic to know, now I can screw the drag up and hope it all holds together. Look out Sweeties.
    Tim
    Well I'll be bu.....ered! thats impressive.
    anyone use Fins on Baitcast gear?

Cheers Roo.

I've used 30lb Fins on baitcasters chasing Barra with OK results, but it looks as though the 10lb or 15lb might be the go (assuming the smaller diameter behaves itself in the leader knot)

I reckon stick with the 30 lb for Barra, even though you're not going to get a big step up in breaking stain like the lighter classes, for 2 reasons.
    Firstly, the slightly thicker braid aids in abrasion resistance, if there is such a thing in any braid,. This is more applicable for the 30 and 50 lb classes and;
    Secondly, the slightly thicker braid helps reduce knot slippage in relation to the thicker leaders used when Barra fishing.
    For your offshore Snapper/Tuna/mackerel/general fishing etc where there isn't too many abrasive nasties, 10 or 15 lb Fins, for example, would be more than heaps. The advantage of really thin braid in any current is a bonus and remember you're only using relatively light leaders in most cases and you can put miles of it on the new generation compact high performance reels, both spin and baitcast.
    Tim

Looking at the US and International websites for Sufix Performance Braid, the stated thicknesses are markedly different - eg

6lb 0.14mm (US) 0.10mm (Int)
    30lb 0.29mm (US) 0.23mm (Int)

Assuming they are the same line, which stated thicknesses are correct? Are international customers being duped?

I think, if you look at Paulus' website, that braid isn't actually round, so this difference may only be in the way different countries do their measurements.
    Take a look at the site and you may get what I'm talking about.
    Apart from that, I could not imagine there would be different braids for different countries, unless the 6 lb braid in the USA is what they sell over here as 10 lb, but I would doubt it. I think the re-badging etc would not be cost effective. Maybe it is as simple as the USA use the average diameter and we use the thinnest measurement for any given breaking strain. However, I may be wrong, I have been plenty of times, but the Yanks do things differently to most.
    Tim

Yes, but the Yanks usually overstate the benefits, not understate them. And I doubt that they would have two different labs employed to measure the diameter! It is simply bizarre that the company website has two markedly different diameters for the same product. Check it out at www.sufix.com

I Have updated 08,03,2009 the list again with a lot more Line and Knots Tested

Updated 01,03, 2009 with MONO. Schneider Klear, Storm Thunder line, Shimano Tigra, Shimano Beast master.
    Leader Material, Sunline Saltwater, Black Magic, Jinka Leader, Niteline XTS Plus trace.
    Updated 01,03, 2009 with BRAID. Fins Original 15 lb

Thanks for the input Scott and Justin

I am looking for the following to test and would need 3 mts.
    Berkley Whiplash Pro braid, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15 lb,
    Fins braid, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 lb, in both original (if available) and latest
    Power Pro braid, 10, 12, 15 lb
    Berkley Vanish Fluro carbon 17 lb
    If you have any light line it would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Knots, send me some to test, check out the animated knots in the Knots section

Thank you
    Paulus

Results here

Hey guys
    I have updated the listing 15,03, 2009 with some awful tough line.
    Braid, Berkley Whiplash 100lb, Tufline 100lb and 130lb
    I have set out the knots section and included some additional knots, so it's a little easier to follow.
    I use a surgeons end loop on my shocker, I tie ( Note tie) the the loop to my plastics when lure fishing for Flathead, as they are toothy critters. Any way this is a simple knot in mono, but does not do well with braid, may visit that one again.
    Paulus

Hey guys
    Just a few more lines tested.
    Rapala Blue Braid
    4 lb, 6 lb, 6 lb pale blue, 8 lb, 10 lb, 14 lb.
    Avanti Seabass lime Braid, 10 lb, 12 lb. Not a lot of info available on this line,,, it's nice though.
    Thank you Results at
    You know, you buy line in good faith, its not like it's a buy and try situation "Oh I do not like it" here take it back and give me a refund.
    I had some leader material sent to me to test, thought this is 1.32mm in diam, at that you expect 165 lb maybe even as high as 200 lb.
    I fired up the big system to do the test with. It went 18 kg as a one off shot that's 40 lb. Thought this can not be right, so retested the material in my standard sysem. No change, I have had line that is one third that diam, do much better than that.
    It just seemed to melt away under tension.
    Paulus