Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custard Tarts

Custard Tarts

I know that this is not a seafood related thread. But an incident tonight made me ponder this. I was doing the late 'we are out of bread' trip to the local supermarket, and they had family sized custard tarts on special for $2 each...so I thought...brownie points...grab one for desert tonight.

I have to state up front I do not have a sweet tooth in any way shape or form, so this was a treat for the rest of the mob. Put it in the fridge when i got home. Took it out of the fridge after dinner and left it on the bench for everyone to have a piece when they felt like it. 11yo niece said it was watery, mum said it was ok when she had a piece, sis said it was ok, but had been out of the fridge a bit too long.

I had always like the baked custard tarts that you got from the proper bakeries, but i cant come at the ones that need to be chilled to attain consistency..i think they are bland.

What do you guys prefer.....baked custard tarts....or chilled custard tarts?

Greg

Re: Custard Tarts

baked...all the way
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Baked is the only Custard Tart

Baked definately. The texture is totally different with the chilled ones and just doesn't seem to taste the same.

God dam it !!!!! now I have to go to the shop and get a custard tart !!!!!!!!!

He hehe....that will learn ya!!!

Baked... yum love those things! Apple turnovers good too (but no cream).

Store bought Tarts are watery and Caramel tarts are never the real caramel
    Baked is the only option

Quote Originally Posted by Tailortaker View Post
    God dam it !!!!! now I have to go to the shop and get a custard tart !!!!!!!!!
    Baked or crappy??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

hi greg baked only, the custard tart is a compulsory food item for those long boring tournament days, marlin love them. we always seem to hook up just as we start spreading the food items out on the esky with stuff eveywhere and away goes the reel zzzzzzzzzzzz and after the fight we get to enjoy eating off the floor, thanks jim

Definitely BAKED,I consider myself a Custard tart efficianado and you can stick the supermarket ones in the bin
    Paulo

Thanks guys. Now that you have confirmed my faith in the true fishos taste buds......where the hell do you get the good baked custard tarts anywhere near the Reddy Peninsula? (dead set giveaway is that with the baked ones the custard sinks down below the pastry rim, and even sometimes has little fissures in the custard....whereas the chilled ones the custard bulges above the rim and are very light in colour).

Greg

my wife just cooked some in the new pie maker tasted quite all right

shane

OK ...am widening the search.......ANYWHERE near Brissy that does baked custard tarts? Now I have the taste buds tingling.....I need a fix BAD!

Greg

I cant believe that NO bakery in Brissy or the surrounds does baked custard tarts! Surely someone out there knows of one?

Greg