Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tilapia

Re: Tilapia

Keechie wasn't there?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by chrisallangler View Post
    Keechie said it wasn't. He was there.

I was there, keechie wasn't. It was about 3kg, which is what tom said, maybe it was 2.9 maybe it was 3.
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

Quote Originally Posted by tailorboi99 View Post
    Nah we've been throwing them in the bin aha. That bin stinks like *%^$. We've been contacting the Government to try and stock the lake with bass, yella's etc.. I'm great thanks, how are you? Been getting many fish recently?

My responce is alittle late, but oh well... I have my reasons.

Yeah, been good. Went down to the Eildon Pondage a week ago... and... we were there from 5am freezing our butts off, 3 guys come down at 8am, 3rd cast hook and landed a 12lb brown trout... It was brood stock, released the day before -.- Could tell from clipped fins, unhealed fins and the pellets in its belly. -.-

One downside, they did keep the big old male brown... didnt even give him a chance to settle into hes new home!

Thats life! Going back up there tomorrow to try and hunt down a local trout. (not released).

Bandit.
    Cheers, Bandit

Tracker Avalanche V18 DC - 175 EFI Mercury OptiMax
    Quintrex 475 TopEnder - 60 EFI Yamaha 4 Stroke

Hi mates,

It's surprise me to see Tilapia in AU, in my country ,Thailand there are a lot of them they were not native fish but came from some where may be Indonesia but now seem they become native fish in my country.
    They are breed rapidly and eat almost everything weed shrimp small fish.

Hope you can keep'em under controll.

Cheers

Ocean

Mr. Ocean, we have been trying our best to keep them under control. In the past few months we have not targeted them due to the weather, I assume they have spread into the Creeks in which are near by to this Lake. There's going to be a Sunfish 'Take a kid fishing' day there I believe.

Thanks Tom

The Lake seems to be doing fairly well considering the recent downpour. Today I went for a quick fish and landed 4 Eels in quick succession. The Tilapia seem to be hugging the bottom and we are yet to see one.

Thanks Tom

Tim,
    As a good rule of thumb you need the water temp to be 20 degrees and above to line fish for them. The warmer the better. Check out this link. http://www.prfma.com.au/prfma/Tilapia.html

Never throw those pests back in the water, also big fine if DPIF sees you throwing the buggers back in.

Another imported giant goldfish escapee thrown into thr creeks by ex-owners
    They are edible and have a nice blue white flesh. Better than carp anyday.

Peter

Hi Tailorboi,

Where do you access the creek at Minnippi Parklands? I drove round one day and couldn't find where to access any half reasonable body of water. I am not local so probably didn't know what other streets to check out. I'd love to target some if I know how to find the creek.

Cheers Eleanor