Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chilli preserving

Chilli preserving

I have a couple of chilli bushes, they are dripping with ripe fruit, I like my chilli with lots of things fish but no way can I keep up, been giving lots away also.

Anyone know of real simple way to preserve them, I would like to just blend them up in a big batch this time - my first test batch went mouldy in the fridge in 2 weeks because sometime their use can be haphazard over time and also they are very hot, a little bit goes a long way.

There is like 2 years worth on the bush ATM

cheers fnq

Re: Chilli preserving

I have a mate and his Mother does them in OIl, you can eat them as is or use as fresh, I will ask him after lunch and let you know what she does.

Either chuck them in the freezer whole (they last a long, long time) or chuck them in some real goooood olive oil.
    When we toss them in the bottle with the oil we chop them up real fine so they just need a shake in the bottle and tip the bottle onto the salad or what-ever.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

OK, my mate said she used to quickly char them over the gas stove, this was for added flavor, and into a bottle, make a mix of salt and vinegar, put chillies into bottle, top up with vinegar and salt mix, and top off with good Oilve oil, bung on a lid and they last for ages and ages, they can also be dried very easily.

Thanks blokes, I tried straight oil and they fermented but they where whole, will try all the above methods.

cheers fnq

Would you be able to cryovac them and freeze them?

Make a vinegar based sauce. Try this one:-

1 small onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 cup chopped carrots
    2 cups water
    chillies!!!! 3 or 4 depending the heat you want, seeded and chopped
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    1 teaspoon salt

Fry up the onions and garlic in oil till soft. Then chuck in the carrots and water and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook till carrots are soft. Allow it to cool a bit and then blend or process with the other ingredients till smooth.

Only takes about 15-20 minutes to make.Makes about two cups. Tastes unbelievable. Lasts for ages in a clean container in the fridge.Gets better with age, and works with all kinds of meat.
    I like to make mine with habanero or Scotch Bonnet chillies for a real punch. You can even use it as a marinade.

Oh yeah, remember that you can always put in more chilli, its not so easy to get out if you make it too hot.

Make a sweet chilli sauce

50% Chilli
    40% Sugar
    10% Water

Adjust percentages to taste

shameless self promotion here,

check out Aigutso Vroom chilli sauce,, on a thread here... well worth it!

cheers
    mike
    Tangles KFC

Uh Oh! thanks again, heaps of good ideas, I am going to need to plant another bush!

cheers fnq

If your after a different variety of chillies check out e bay. type in chilli seeds

Dave
    Avast ye matey!

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post
    shameless self promotion here,

check out Aigutso Vroom chilli sauce,, on a thread here... well worth it!

cheers
    mike
    thats one hell of a receipe, thanks for sharing, Aigutso Vroom. cheers ron. have had in the fridge for about a month, NO fermenting.

I put my fist lot straight into olive oil and they fermented after a short time as well.

So next time I semi dried them in the sun or you can use oven on low. Then into a plastic bag and hit them for a while with a meat tenderiser. Finally into a jar and cover with olive oil.

I have had no problem since, I use the Birdseye chillies. All I use is the oil very sparingly as its smoken hot and just top up the oil every now and them.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

I used to dry them on low in the oven.But I don't like chopping or touching them anymore.After chopping some up and washing my hands I went to the toilet,talk about eye watering pain.These hands are never touching a chilli again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by major-defect View Post
    After chopping some up and washing my hands I went to the toilet,talk about eye watering pain.These hands are never touching a chilli again!!!
    Yeah that certainly hits the spot Paul....
    Just as well you weren't engaging in a bit of foreplay with the missus..

At least its one way to get her "hot"...though she probably wont come back for seconds..

Scott ..are the bushs getting loaded again??..We have one of those 4 drawer dehydrators that just plug in (think Ann picked it up secondhand for $20 buck or so years ago)..haven't actually done chillies in it though as there is always plenty fresh here...the dehydrator is great for bananas and other fruit though as they will last quite a while and have that intense candied flavour..

I have a good crop of green chillies coming on ATM so I may try them in the dehydrator when they ripen...will let you know of the outcome..the big problem up here is the humidity which sooner or later creates mould unless its pickled or as mentioned -stored in oil ..

Also as previously mentioned ..Have you tryed sticking them in the freezer and just pulling out several when you need them..??..the freezer is a great way to combat the humidity and associated mould...

scott