Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Save Our Bay Rally 28th February 2009

Re: Save Our Bay Rally 28th February 2009

Great to see fishing on the front page of the Sunday mail, and on page 3 and on page 8.

Bye Bi Anna Bligh

Hey guys i think that what we acheived yesterday was what we have been trying to do since this whole thing was started, and that is get someone to listen ! Im not a lover of the LNP but if the average Joe is going to to get a go then im in ! It carnt be any worse than what the Labour mob have given us ZIP ! Even if we only get the boat ramp up-grades we all win ! We must keep the pressure on them to make sure they stick to their promises. Use your vote as your tool to make a difference.

CHEERS RAY PS. Thanks to all that done the hard yards and everyone that participated.

Well where do I start?

A genuine thanks to the following people:

Too Steve and Ausfish who without this forum we would struggle to get SOBAs message “out there”. I sincerely thankyou for the privilage to promote the rally on Ausfish.

Too the SOBA community and for everyone that spent the time to promote the rally, especially giving up your time to hand out flyers at ramps as you watched people launch for a days fishing.

Too Merv and Carl from ECOfishers NSW who made the trip from NSW to be at the rally.

Too the Queensland Police who help us with the rally.

Too Chris Ryan who has a mug for radio but is prepared to stand up in front of the camera. Chris we appreciate the sacrifices you have made in the past and continue to do so for the sake of the SOBA and Moreton Bay. Chris has been passionate in perusing politicians, media and exposure for the rally with exceptional results ! Don’t underestimate Chris’s work to get 4BC, NOVA 106.9FM, Chanel 10, 9, 7 and ABC news involved with this rally. A bloody awsome result ! Kudos to you !

Too David Gibson (Shadow Minister for Sustainable Environment and Climate Change LNP) for making the journey to the BBQ and for pressuring the current government into making available the documents these zonings have been based on. Probably the most significant moment of the rally in my humble opinion ! Out of 109 documents delivered to the LNP and reviewed independantly via a LNP appointed Marine Biologist, was it 1 that did have credit based on a thesis conducted by a Uni Student ? If only that talk was available to the pubic to hear !

Too Ivan for getting John Crawford Marine on board to promote the rally and attend as well.

Too George Lang from BAILEY ROAD HOT BREAD at Deception Bay for donating the bread for the rally.

Too Therapy (Terry) who I had known and picked up 30mins before the rally for handing out the T&Cs at the muster point. Happy B’day by the way !
    Too the guys that cooked the BBQ at the rally. Too our lone marshall Old_Boot, thanks Joe !

And last but not least too the people who gave up there Saturday on what was a gorgeous day boating wise. It’s with your support that we will make a difference and continue to move forward The swell is starting to pick up !

This is but another step towards a bigger and louder voice for all recreation anglers !

Damo.

PS: Apologies too anyone I've forgotten to mention
    Last edited by Black_Rat; 01-03-2009 at 05:37 PM. Reason: rabbits, too many rabbits, in China, Emporer Narzsygoring to many rabbits

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    BTW. Despite what has been said, a PhD student doing a thesis paper is still very relevant research. How relevant depends on exactly what the research topic was and how it came about. If they are just compiling a whole bunch of published papers with no field work then one has to question the credibility. Why dont they just make it available to the public??
    The real merit of a PhD depends on how the study was done (methods) and the publishing of the results of the research in peer revewed scientific journals (I should know, I have done one).

I believe this PhD concerns tripcony bight, and the concerns over the methods are the selection of appropriate controls and sufficient replication......and to the best of my knowledge it has not made it to any journals!

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

And who was the little short guy that got David Gibson to the rally. Cant think of his name.It will come to me( LOL)
    David

Damo
    Hear, hear!
    What a great group of people that gave away a day and were in it not political reasons but to save jobs (John Crawford Marine) and to save their lifestyle from a politically motivated decision on Green Zones.
    I'd like to thank my wife that filled in for me at work so I could attend, my two teenage daughters who saw this as important enough issue to give up their Saturday morning sleep-in to come down to the protest and my mate Graham who gave up his little but precious time (he's been away from home since Christmas, working) to come down to the rally.
    I know many were there in spirit but could not attend.
    LNP have stated that they will look after our interest (yes, remains to be seen) but Anna said that we're about to 'strip away Moreton Bay's precious resources'. Labour is not going to give in on this one, so I know where my vote is going, and it's just not only on the fishing front (health, roads, etc).
    Cheers

I think a big thanks must go to the big fella himself, Damo. Without him this rally may not have happened. Keep up the good work Damo.

Footage at Wellington point www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=146282&feature=player_embedded

Did anyone capture David Gibson on video at the bbq rally ? He is the gentleman to the left of Mr Springborg.

As a guy who admits he was on the side wondering what would happen, to the passionate activist you see before you, I am proud to have him on my/our side. You are a legend mate and the effort you have put into this is one many should admire. It is a huge job.

We make an awsome front row too, he was a loose head and I was a tight prop in Rugby Union,..........I would have hated to pack down against us mate!!! Thanks for the kind words too.

Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Personally Damo and Chris I think you both deserve a huge pat on the back. Also to Tim. Sorry that I couldn't be there this time however. Glad it went so well. Hopefully next time it falls on a date that doesn't coincide with any of my family's birthdays.

Well done guys,

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

I attended the rally on saturday but not the bbq (due to inlaws 60th wedding anniversary). I felt proud to be in a group of people who are willing to give up time (lots in some cases) to show there are people out there willing to fight for what they believe in.Thank you to all who attended.

Me too, could not let it go without standing up and got my daughter who is a keen fisho to come along as well.

Still a bit disappointing, at a rough count I thought we had about 100 cars and boats, would have like to have seen 500 .

Spose the one good thing is that we got noticed and got some attention, As for the borg, well he''s at least putting a review forward, I would like to see some rec fishos have some input in to the results of the review.

Regards
    HOnda

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryan View Post
    As a guy who admits he was on the side wondering what would happen, to the passionate activist you see before you, I am proud to have him on my/our side. You are a legend mate and the effort you have put into this is one many should admire. It is a huge job.

We make an awsome front row too, he was a loose head and I was a tight prop in Rugby Union,..........I would have hated to pack down against us mate!!! Thanks for the kind words too.

Chris

The big fellas did alright, front rows, brings back memories of Agnes
    Tangles KFC

a few pics therapy took on the day

Congratulations! Pat yourselves on the back - no one on this site will argue with you. I suspect most of you haven't travelled too widely to other parts of the world where the fisheries are fk-ed. What makes you think it won't happen here? Its a matter of population growth and lack of regulation. I'm looking forward to better control, because I reckon my little bloke will have a better go at fishing as he grows up. Grow a brain.