Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Save Our Bay Rally 28th February 2009

Re: Save Our Bay Rally 28th February 2009

Okay, count me in. Chatted to the boss and made sure that I have that Saturday off. I will have the UHF hand held on the day and will have one spare for anyone that would like to approach me to borrow it. I would like to suggest that everyone who takes part in the convoy turn their lights on as well because it will draw more attention. Perhaps we can invite an EPA official to come along to talk to us? If they decline we can rub it in their face that they wouldn't do us the courtesy of making an appearance and if they do show up we can at least share our views with them. They (EPA) are good at using the media to make fishermen and women look bad to the general public. Perhaps we can cleverly do the same thing by revealing all the underhanded decisions they are making with OUR Moreton Bay.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Hi Poodroo,

It is not all the EPA's doing here too so we have to be careful in some aspects. We know that DIP (Dept Infrastructure & Planning) have railroaded the EPA is areas concerning the Airport expansion and I daresay in other areas of coastal development as well. Yes the EPA have closed down areas for fishing and need to be accountable for that. We also have to congnescant of how Government works and where directives come from. The closures are as a result of many factors, mainly pressure on preferences from Greens to Labor at the last state election, wrapped in a package that resembles sustainability and then spun out of the 200 odd PR machine as "for our kids future".

Many areas are being targeted in this rally. The EPA for their part as being pawns and then overzealous legislators, the DIP for their growth and money at all costs attitude, the local councils for being bunnies and not doing anything to push against the tide, for the lack of management of water run-off (and local government here too) and much more.

Be good to see you there mate and catch up again.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

Hello Chris Ryan, Poodroo and Scalem,

I agree with all the above, but also we need to put the message across that developers should bugger off from developing coastal communities, especially canal estates. Mangroves are needed not just for nursery grounds for prawns, crabs and fish species as part of their life cycle. Mangroves also play an important role in controlling siltation / soil runoff from the land during storm events and also in part act as a buffer agent during bad weather. Without our mangroves there will be no fishery. No one in the Govt has the balls enough to say no to the developers. Extreme greenies also need to chastised.

We dont want to end up like Singapore.
    That's my spin. Peter

That is exactly the stuff we are fighting Peter. The Dept Infrastructure & Planning (the Old State Development) is the key to allowing that coastal development to continue. It is also crap that the Barrier Reef is the only waterways to get protection for wetlands and mangrove forests from run-off!!

Glad you are on board to help with this!

Cheers,
    Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

I'm there regardless of weather.
    I'll try printing some flyers and putting them under windscreen wipers at the local ramp. If we all do a bit it will make the crowd just that little bit bigger.
    We need to get the word out.
    The usual problem is people either wont get involved or just don't know about the protest.
    Cheers
    Stue

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Hello Chris Ryan, Poodroo and Scalem,

I agree with all the above, but also we need to put the message across that developers should bugger off from developing coastal communities, especially canal estates. Mangroves are needed not just for nursery grounds for prawns, crabs and fish species as part of their life cycle. Mangroves also play an important role in controlling siltation / soil runoff from the land during storm events and also in part act as a buffer agent during bad weather. Without our mangroves there will be no fishery. No one in the Govt has the balls enough to say no to the developers. Extreme greenies also need to chastised.

We dont want to end up like Singapore.
    That's my spin. Peter
    G'day Peter, the unfortunate thing about developers and anyone for that matter is that they are money motivated. Water front canals bring in big dollars and there will always be huge interests from investors and people who have the money to live that sort of lifestyle so we would be flogging a dead horse to even think that they would "bugger off" from doing what they do. The fact is that we have so many wealthy people from overseas who come to Australia to spend their money to live that sort of lifestyle. I would be interested to see the percentage of true blue Aussies who actually live in these lovely water front canals. Dare I say that they would be a minority group. Bottom line is we will never stop this kind of progress. We can certainly make public how we feel about it and the best we can hope for is that some will actually hear our message and stop and listen to what we have to say. None of us want to be stopped from being able to take the family out for a day on the water to catch the odd fish for dinner. It is part of our way of life and has been for centuries and we would like to do our part to make sure it is part of the future generations' way of life to enjoy too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryan View Post
    Hi Poodroo,

It is not all the EPA's doing here too so we have to be careful in some aspects. We know that DIP (Dept Infrastructure & Planning) have railroaded the EPA is areas concerning the Airport expansion and I daresay in other areas of coastal development as well. Yes the EPA have closed down areas for fishing and need to be accountable for that. We also have to congnescant of how Government works and where directives come from. The closures are as a result of many factors, mainly pressure on preferences from Greens to Labor at the last state election, wrapped in a package that resembles sustainability and then spun out of the 200 odd PR machine as "for our kids future".

Many areas are being targeted in this rally. The EPA for their part as being pawns and then overzealous legislators, the DIP for their growth and money at all costs attitude, the local councils for being bunnies and not doing anything to push against the tide, for the lack of management of water run-off (and local government here too) and much more.

Be good to see you there mate and catch up again.

Cheers,
    Chris
    I quite agree with you Chris. There are a lot of players involved that's for sure. I look forward to catching up again on the day.

Cheers,

Poodroo

To all,

We need to get more ads out, last time we did the brissy river run, we had under 50 boats, not enough, we need to get this seriously advertised news, radio and tv.

We also need to make sure we get 500 boats there, We also need some crediblity with celebrities that may back us, ET, Bushy, Webby, Corten and the like. Make sure there faces are seen on camera.

Get around some of the local footy / soccer /netball clubs and get them to put up some posters..

Without this we are the small minority and no one will hear what we have to say.

Heres a start, Send them an email. Get all the local rags, the more pestering them the better.

mail.bbulletin@ruralpress.com

http://wynnum-herald.whereilive.com.au/contact/

Regards
    Honda

ill be there.

Quote Originally Posted by harry_h01 View Post
    Other than the hand outs, what sort of signage are we looking to put on the sides of the boats etc?

Just after some direction.

Harry
    Harry, Phill and his apprentice knocked up these placards a few weeks ago -> http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=143743

I will have these available on the day to tape, zip-tie and fix to boats / cars if anyone needs some or simply make your own. Keep it simple and non-abusive.

As Poodroo has suggested we can and should drive with our headlights on and we'll have streamers available (Sky blue,white and black = SOBA) for cars as well to be hung off arials/doors.

However we decide to decorate our boats/cars make sure their fixed down securely

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    While I completely agree with your feelings BR, this rally is only the first step in a long drawn out process. In order to make an impact with the political masters, we have to generate enough momentum to make them realise that going ahead with their plans will cost them more votes than they will win by reversing their decsion and admitting it is BS. This is how green politics works eg OK Anna, you go ahead with this plan, aand you'll lose X voters across Qld, and that could lose you Y seats, which will chuck you out of government.
    It is the first step/start of a ground sea swell brewing along the East Coast of Australia namely in QLD and NSW.

Rumblings in NSW and touted fishing "sanctuaries/bans" are going to affect many travellers from QLD heading south of the boarder. Historic fishing destinations from the Tweed River to Iluka/Yamba to Sydney are under threat.

With SOBA & ECOfishers NSW working together on these issues we have a fighting combination to be reckoned with in the making !

sounds great

[quote=Poodroo;969125]G'day Peter, the unfortunate thing about developers and anyone for that matter is that they are money motivated. Water front canals bring in big dollars and there will always be huge interests from investors and people who have the money to live that sort of lifestyle so we would be flogging a dead horse to even think that they would "bugger off" from doing what they do. The fact is that we have so many wealthy people from overseas who come to Australia to spend their money to live that sort of lifestyle. I would be interested to see the percentage of true blue Aussies who actually live in these lovely water front canals. Dare I say that they would be a minority group. Bottom line is we will never stop this kind of progress. We can certainly make public how we feel about it and the best we can hope for is that some will actually hear our message and stop and listen to what we have to say. None of us want to be stopped from being able to take the family out for a day on the water to catch the odd fish for dinner. It is part of our way of life and has been for centuries and we would like to do our part to make sure it is part of the future generations' way of life to enjoy too.

Hello Poodroo,

I hope your health is much better than last time.

I hear what you say in relation to the Qld developers, seems like NSW Govt has stopped canal estate development in some places because of acid sulfate soil disturbance. Once the mangrove mud or coastal muds get disturbed and exposed to air the more acid is produced and causes millions of dollars of problem solving, not to mention fish kills.

Roads, concrete and steel pipes are corroded away much quicker than normal soil. I think in Queensland there are too many vested interest groups intertwined with developers and governments, especially at the Local Government level and with donations from developers given to councils to promote something in one form or another (you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours) is the old addage. Makes one think who is in bed with who it takes two to tango.

I will do my best to come along as well. I will drag the tinnie out if it helps and hopefully may get to meet some of you guys along the way.

I dont get out that much and when I am around, there is not much danger to the fish population, but hey - I enjoy it when I can and if me coming along helps to keep the Bay open for all users then count me in!
    Just throwin some chlorine into the gene pool........

What the heck. Count me in on this one for sure. I was a staunch Labor voter until this shit happened. Even the new Mayor for Moreton doesn't seem to be living up to one of his election promises.....

I have UHF CB in the truck as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post

Hello Poodroo,

I hope your health is much better than last time.
    Thanks for the concern Peter. The health is much better now thanks for asking.

Poodroo