Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Save Our Bay Rally 28th February 2009

Re: Save Our Bay Rally 28th February 2009

Quote Originally Posted by GCBrett View Post
    Congratulations! Pat yourselves on the back - no one on this site will argue with you. I suspect most of you haven't travelled too widely to other parts of the world where the fisheries are fk-ed. What makes you think it won't happen here? Its a matter of population growth and lack of regulation. I'm looking forward to better control, because I reckon my little bloke will have a better go at fishing as he grows up. Grow a brain.
    We would all like for your little bloke to be able to catch fish when he grows up BUT:
    The existing green zones are based on nothing. There was no credible research done into these closures. They are in place to meet some International convention on protection of sea bed types, bioturbated mud, bioturbated sand, sea grass and coral etc. It really has nothing to do with the fish. It is hoped they will flourish if these types of sea bed are protected.
    Now regardless of the sea bed type, fish will not breed nor eat there if the water is of poor quality. The EPA has been neglectful in approaching this. Read the Healthy Waterways report and see how most of the streams running into the Bay are going backwards. The Logan and Albert Rivers especially. Perhaps you should be asking the EPA why this is happening and what they are doing about it.

The DPI is also neglectful with insufficient policing of current size and bag limits. This comes back to the Govt and insufficient funding to police these.

So you think green zones are a good idea and then just let the water quality deteroriate further..there will be no fish for your young bloke regardless of how many closures there are.

No one is against green zones but first it has to be proven that they will make a difference..no point implementing them on the precautionary principle if nothing beneficial is achieved.

We all want fish stocks to improve but it has to be achieved through correct research and implemention of the correct laws and also thorough policing of these. Anything else is just a load of political drivel.

Perhaps, your brain could be used in contacting the EPA..Peter Shooter is the man to contact and tell him of your concerns...if not your young bloke had better be good at his playstation..there won't be any point in going fishing.

Grow a brain.
    Take your own advice. Start reading some Journals instead of Editorials.

It'll help you scoop the bad info out of your head and do something real about saving the planet.

Facts are what we need, not Green tinted fiction. The Bay waters are filthy. Bay breeding habitats are being covered in sand and dirt so your Greenie mates can live in concrete boxes with nice views. Ask your buddy Boltar$e where he gets his money?

Brisbane Port Authority? Dredging? Hmmm? Ever heard of it? No, I guess not. What about the Airport extension, and how many billions of fry will never be a twinkle in their daddy's eye now. Ever seen an aerial photo of the Bay showing the millions of tons of silt flowing out of our rivers and creeks? It is a sadly "inconvenient truth" for you. They are the killers of the Bay, and Simon has forgotten it's there. Oh, it used to be his big thing, but, well, follow his money...

Seagrass Watch. Yeah right. "I'll watch while they dig it up and give me money"

Tim
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 08-03-2009 at 02:59 PM.
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Congratulations! Pat yourselves on the back - no one on this site will argue with you. I suspect most of you haven't travelled too widely to other parts of the world where the fisheries are fk-ed. What makes you think it won't happen here? Its a matter of population growth and lack of regulation. I'm looking forward to better control, because I reckon my little bloke will have a better go at fishing as he grows up. Grow a brain.
    There won't be any fish if people teach their kids to sit back and take potshots at people who want the right decisions made.

Think you need to do a bit of research mate as to what's really going on out there. And not just in the water.

Dave
    Avast ye matey!

First of all GCBrett, telling other members to " grow a brain ' is against the rules that you read before signing up as a member. Therefore you have incurred an " infraction. Please keep to the topic subject.

Secondly.... maybe most of us haven't been to other countries where their fisheries is ####ed as you put it. Well that may be because no one there stood up to the government and questioned their policies and provided input on the best way to manage the fishery.

The Recreational Fishoes of Queensland are doing this... standing up against for what is obviously wrong and also providing important input into the fisheries management. WE ARE NOT OTHER COUNTRIES..... but you can bet ya bottom dollar that the extreme green folk will model their outcomes on OTHER COUNTRIES.... why ? simple, because it is easy and the truth about our fishery does not sit well with them because ours IS SUSTAINABLE.

Don't believe me..... google the greens and there policies, research etc.... all from overseas models and data. humph !!!!!! Don't be fooled by what you read on the Aussie green sites.... these people are just about as good as Anna when it comes to " SPIN "...

The DPI&F are the managers of the fishery and the EPA should be taking care of the environment. The DPI&F are doing their job... the EPA are not. Facts don't lie.

The fishery is NOT in trouble but the environment that encompasses the fishery is. Fix the water ( environment, habitat and nurseries ) and the fishery will thrive.

FYI. This is fact..... we'll take the snapper fishery for instance. The qld recreational take was down about 100,000 fish over the last couple of years... why............. size & bag limits. We caught more tonnage, but less fish. The fish we put in the esky were larger... simple maths. Size limits, bag limits, seasonal closeurs and a healthy education program are doing their jobs... about time the EPA did theirs.

Phill
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 08-03-2009 at 03:00 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Its a matter of population growth and lack of regulation. I'm looking forward to better control
    You're right it is a matter of regulations and controls but they must be EFFECTIVE regulations and controls.

The green zones WILL NOT STOP the degradation of Moreton Bay and other locations as they do NOTHING to address pollution, destructions of breeding habitats (mangroves) and urban & industrial runoff.

How are green zones going to stop siltation and chemicals!! For all their effectivenes, you might as well put lines of beacons with signs saying 'Pollution do not enter' along the green zone boundaries.

Green zones are a cop out by governments who want to look like they're doing something but in reality:
    • don't want to tackle the real problems as they too hard to deal with
    • are more interest in sucking up to get preferences to get/stay in power

Luc