Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Save Our Bay Rally 28th February 2009

Re: Save Our Bay Rally 28th February 2009

Thanks fellas,

Maybe at some future time people will look back at these dark days and wonder how the hell we managed to let all of these things happen without getting organised and screaming our heads off.

How can millions of people with a common interest be so thoroughly ignored?

Good luck to you all.

Regards,
    RJ

Below is an outline of the route we will take.
    I also have a PDF file on the route I can email out for those attending the rally and will have copies on the day and of the description below.

Once we start moving it is important to keep in a single file and in the left lane where practical.

Once we turn left onto Kingsford-Smith Drive, travel in the left lane, about 2.5 klms from the starting point the road will open into 3 lanes; at this point merge into the left lane. About 200m up the road the Inner-City Bypass starts and we veer to the left (Over Breakfast Creek Bridge) , keep in the left lane. 800m further up the road (now 2 lanes) the road will open into 3 lanes just before the Holden dealership (Eagers - now Breakfast Creek Road), again merge into the far left lane. From here this lane will take you all the way to the left turn into Edward Street. Do not turn left over the Storey Bridge but head straight in the same lane up Ann Street.

The left turn into Edward Street can be awkward because there is a bus lane there as well (Far left Lane). You can only start to turn into the bus lane about 20-30 meters before the corner of Ann and Edward Street. Beware of busses and other motorists as they like to jump in early at a red light and it can be difficult to merge into the lane. I have highlighted this area as a potential bottle neck area to Queensland Police so don’t go jumping into the bus lane too early

On Edward Street there will only be 2 lanes to travel in, the rest will be taken up with parking, again stick to the left lane. From here we will veer our way around to the right and the botanic gardens will be on the left.

For those attending the BBQ or heading home on the Southside stick to this lane and it will take you onto the Riverside Expressway heading south.

For those on the Northside they will have to start to get into the right lane which will take you north along the Riverside Expressway where you can head up Hail Street or Inner-city bypass heading east.

For those attending the BBQ take the first exit (Vulture St) after entering the River side Express way from the left lane again. From this lane you will need to merge left into the next lane over the next 300m (Can be a little tricky) There aren’t any events on at the Gabba that I’m aware of so there shouldn’t be a lot of traffic around the Gabba. From here you will need to turn left at the Mobile service station into Wellington Road and then right onto Shafston Avenue where this road will turn into Wynnum Road. Take the left into Junction Road before the Caltex Service station at Morningside, head along Junction Road and straight through the roundabout onto Colmslie Road.

The complete route (to BBQ point) took me 35mins to complete today with around half the traffic expected on Saturday and not towing a boat, therfore it'll probably take over an hour on Saturday so please be patient and courteous to others when travelling along the route.

Those that have UHFs we will be on 28.

PS: On Monday after final discussions i'll post up the general conditions of the permit issued by Queensland Police which must be adhered too without exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Rat View Post
    Below is an outline of the route we will take.
    I also have a PDF file on the route I can email out for those attending the rally and will have copies on the day and of the description below.

Once we start moving it is important to keep in a single file and in the left lane where practical.

Once we turn left onto Kingsford-Smith Drive, travel in the left lane, about 2.5 klms from the starting point the road will open into 3 lanes; at this point merge into the left lane. About 200m up the road the Inner-City Bypass starts and we veer to the left, keep in the left lane( is this up over breakfast Creek Bridge?). 800m further up the road (now 2 lanes) the road will open into 3 lanes just before the Holden dealership (Eagers on Breakfast Creek Road?), again merge into the far left lane. From here this lane will take you all the way to the left turn into Edward Street. ( I am confused now..is this going up Ann Street? If so the far left lane will take you up onto the Story Bridge..or am I lost?)

The left turn into Edward Street can be awkward because there is a bus lane there as well (Far left Lane). You can only start to turn into the bus lane about 20-30 meters before the corner of Ann and Edward Street. Beware of busses and other motorists as they like to jump in early at a red light and it can be difficult to merge into the lane. I have highlighted this area as a potential bottle neck area to Queensland Police so don’t go jumping into the bus lane too early

On Edward Street there will only be 2 lanes to travel in, the rest will be taken up with parking, again stick to the left lane. From here we will veer our way around to the right and the botanic gardens will be on the left.

For those attending the BBQ or heading home on the Southside stick to this lane and it will take you onto the Riverside Expressway heading south.

For those on the Northside they will have to start to get into the right lane which will take you north along the Riverside Expressway where you can head up Hail Street or Inner-city bypass heading east.

For those attending the BBQ take the first exit (Vulture St) after entering the River side Express way from the left lane again. From this lane you will need to merge left into the next lane over the next 300m (Can be a little tricky) There aren’t any events on at the Gabba that I’m aware of so there shouldn’t be a lot of traffic around the Gabba. From here you will need to turn left at the Mobile service station into Wellington Road and then left ( I think that should "turn right" Damo) onto Shafston Avenue where this road will turn into Wynnum Road. Take the left into Junction Road before the Caltex Service station at Morningside, head along Junction Road and straight through the roundabout onto Colmslie Road.

The complete route (to BBQ point) took me 35mins to complete today with around half the traffic expected on Saturday and not towing a boat, therfore it'll probably take over an hour on Saturday so please be patient and courteous to others when travelling along the route.

Those that have UHFs we will be on 28.

PS: On Monday after final discussions i'll post up the general conditions of the permit issued by Queensland Police which must be adhered too without exception.
    .................................................. ...............

Cheers Greg amended.

If your in the left lane going passed Eagers stick to it, another 4th lane on the left will appear just after the dealership which is the one that will lead you onto the Story Bridge.

Again if anyone who is after a PDF file of the route map and attending send me a PM with your email address. The file is too big to host on AF.

It is official
    We go to the polls on 21st Mar 2009
    So this weekend will have a huge impact.

Harry
    I love the sound of reels screaming in the morning

Made a couple of tasteful posters for the forbie advertising the rally and pointing people to the SOBA site for details.
    Hopefully fellow fishing people stuck in the traffic going to and from work will take some notice and join in.
    It all helps.
    See you all there on Saturday.
    Cheers
    Stue

After exposure on Nuggets Fishing show a few Sundays ago a little birdie tells me there will be more exposure tommorow morning between 7:30am - 8:00am for SOBA and the rally on Nova 106.9 FM

All,

I have attached the relevant Terms and Conditions of the rally Permit that pertain to participants of the rally. These are the T&Cs set by QP and must be adhered too.

We sould also:
    Keep placards and banners to a tasteful manner.
    Keep the public on side.
    Obey all traffic rules at all times.
    Be patient with other road users and pedstrians when traveling through the city, Give Way if need be.
    Be patient and not enter a blocked intersection (lights change quickly in the city).
    Be understanding that not everyone will agree with what we are trying to achieve.
    Be proud of who/what you are representing, the health and fishing sustainability of Moreton Bay.
    Above all enjoy the rally

Damo.

If the orginisers, marshalls or QP believe people are acting outside the T&Cs set down or are acting contrary the the aim of the rally they will be asked to leave the rally.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Rat View Post
    All,

I have attached the relevant Terms and Conditions of the rally Permit that pertain to participants of the rally. These are the T&Cs set by QP and must be adhered too.

We sould also:
    Keep placards and banners to a tasteful manner.
    Keep the public on side.
    Obey all traffic rules at all times.
    Be patient with other road users and pedstrians when traveling through the city, Give Way if need be.
    Be patient and not enter a blocked intersection (lights change quickly in the city).
    Be understanding that not everyone will agree with what we are trying to achieve.
    Be proud of who/what you are representing, the health and fishing sustainability of Moreton Bay.
    Above all enjoy the rally

Damo.

If the orginisers, marshalls or QP believe people are acting outside the T&Cs set down or are acting contrary the the aim of the rally they will be asked to leave the rally.

Damo
    Great thanks to you, for all your time and effort in organising this.
    Cheers

Marto on tripleM is apparently running for Anna's seat & is looking for policies on the tripm website. I've sent a suggestion in about removing the politically motivated no-fishing zones. Perhaps if a few more mention it there might be some air time on Triple M too.

http://www.triplem.com.au/brisbane/s...0224-2w7o.html

Done, wrote to Marto. If enough people do this, he'll sniff up a story!

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Anyone hear Chris on Nova? Well done Mate!

I'm waiting in the queue to have a go too!

BOLTAR$E was appalling. He knows it's a crap argument, he knows he's wrong.

I don't normally listen to it, but a Mate rang me and gave me the heads up about the "great debate".

Cheers,

Tim

I listened in, and tried to call in, but was told they were only taking 5 callers max.

Chris did well, and the young lady who was asking the blonde questions needed to listen to what Chris had to say before opening her mouth.

Harry
    I love the sound of reels screaming in the morning

Thanks guys. Meshel is a proud greenie and has strong views on a lot of subjects and that's cool. Simon saying that 15% of the dredging area is not seagrass is something I didn't get a chance to refute, but on the whole getting 2 minutes of mainstream FM radio on the biggest show in Brisbane is worth a hell of a lot. Even if we only get 5 more in the protest, it was a success.

Chris
    Cheers,
    Chris

If I ever get the chance, I will ask Simon:

"Simon, tell me, why is it you are not focussed on dredging, siltation, habitat degradation?"

After he answers;

"Simon, it's interesting that you don't mention that you are funded by The Brisbane Port Authority, one of the BIG polluters; or that you are funded by Green groups that are funded by Eco Tour Businesses, who want to be able to access the Green Zones?"

He has no credibility, and he needs to be exposed.

Cheers,

Tim