Thread: penn spinfisher 750 for surf

penn spinfisher 750 for surf

I have decided to give away the alvey for surf fishing, I now need a good spin reel for my 4m penn rod . I have a USA made 750 spinfisher and am wondering how well they cast for surf fishing if anyone has used one for this.

Re: penn spinfisher 750 for surf

G'day AK

The 750 Spin Fisher is perfect for surf fishing in my opinion - its not my preffered mode, usually out in the baot, but I do not hesitiate to use the slightly larger 850 when I go "beached as bro!"

You'll have no problems with you choice, although you may need to lengthen the Rod butt section about 250-300mm to make casting easier. Rods set up for alverys have very short butts, too short for ease of use witha spinning reel. You can get a timber section to slide into the butt end. Glue it in with some 2pac araldite - easy as. I had similar issues with getting the hang of the alver, ended us giving up and going back to a large spinning reel for the beach

Cheers

Rhys

The rod I have has a long butt. I will sell the other one with the reel.

Yeh a good reel for beach use. I have a Spinfisher 750 and use it a fair bit for beach and rock fishing. I'm not much of a fan of Alveys myself. Used to love them as a kid but now prefer spin reels. Although i wouldnt sell my alvey setup as it comes in handy as a spare from time to time.

Scott

Have to disagree with the above coments,a spinfisher would probably be my last choice unless you can live with growling/siezed bearings (two to three times the price of similarly sized parts from other manufacturers),added to this body bolts tend to grow into their housing and can be prone to snaping,also the copper aloy used under the rotor head is soft and prone to corrosion causing things to gum up.If you are capable of maintaining your own gear the bearings will be your only real concern,in fact if you can't service your own reels my advice would be to stay with the alveys.

Yeah fair comments banshee. I guess you have had a dud spinfisher hey. I havent had any of those problems with mine though.
    What would be your choice of spin reel then, because as mentioned abbeykait doesnt like alveys.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Have to disagree with the above coments,a spinfisher would probably be my last choice unless you can live with growling/siezed bearings (two to three times the price of similarly sized parts from other manufacturers),added to this body bolts tend to grow into their housing and can be prone to snaping,also the copper aloy used under the rotor head is soft and prone to corrosion causing things to gum up.If you are capable of maintaining your own gear the bearings will be your only real concern,in fact if you can't service your own reels my advice would be to stay with the alveys.
    I must have found a good one as my 850 has been used as my heavy surf/rock spinning and baitfishing reel for nearly twenty years. It has had a lot of swims in that time and shows a fair few scars. The only part I have replaced was a main handle bearing. The reel would have been stripped as new and well lubricated and serviced by myself every 5 years or so unless going for a prolonged dip

The old girl spends most of her life in the boat now as the old knees don't take too kindly to jumping around the stones or standing in the suds.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
    Yeah fair comments banshee. I guess you have had a dud spinfisher hey. I havent had any of those problems with mine though.
    What would be your choice of spin reel then, because as mentioned abbeykait doesnt like alveys.

Scott
    I've Never owned one and can't see that changing ever,they are to me an over rated piece of kit that wasn't to bad in it's day but unfortunately their day has gone (my opinion only that I'm sure wont be shared by many).As for my choice,that's a tough one,two years ago I would have said the Mitchel Nautile but it has ceased production and due to the lack of parts available for a relatively young reel I'd steer clear of second hand ones as well,this only leaves the ridiculous and the sublime,on one hand you have the Van Staal that can supposedly be operated underwater without ingress and on the other you have the entry level spining reels that comprise of one bearing and a plastic/graphite body things along the lines of the old AX Shimanos etc.when it's all said and done though the beach is the domain of the Alvey.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    when it's all said and done though the beach is the domain of the Alvey.
    Pretty well spot on there banshee. They are the best choice for most surf options. Set up properly they should not cause any problems.
    The only times I use threadlines are when spinning or using big baits and braided line. I don't think Alveys and braid are a safe combo (the braid and a grapnel style sinker can hold in a fair sweep). I have also used a TSS4 for many years of Tailor spinning and it spent a lot of time very wet with few issues
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Ive been using a 7500 and 9500 for rock and surf for years,no corrosion problems,always clean the reels after use.I agree with the comments they are outdated reels in todays market,but they do the job and will continue using mine until they eventually die, they,ll more than likely outlast me.

hi,

i have 3 of them and one on its way..........450ss,650ss x 2 and 850ss.i normally use the 850ss teamed up with a 12" rod but find that the reel is a bit noiseier compared to my stradic.also not to forget the weight of the outfit.fatigue for me as i like to hold my gear all the time.without any doubt at all that the 750ss would be great as a surf reel!!!.