Thread: shimano DC reels

shimano DC reels

Just wondering if anyone knows how the shimano DC reels (calcutta/trinidad etc) stand up to saltwater conditions. I would worry about the electronics. Currently I use Daiwa overheads but have looked at the trinidad for something a bit larger.

Re: shimano DC reels

Quote Originally Posted by abbykait View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knows how the shimano DC reels (calcutta/trinidad etc) stand up to saltwater conditions. I would worry about the electronics. Currently I use Daiwa overheads but have looked at the trinidad for something a bit larger.
    My Conquest 201DC still work perfectly since 2003 , likewise my Conquest 101DC since 2004 and I use them both in fresh n saltwater .

Jon .
    It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so .
    Mark Twain .

I've had the Trinidad 30 DC for 16 months, I use it for surf casting, mainly for sharks. The reel gets used every week and sometimes 5 or 6 times a week, its been submereged when wading onto banks, not washed for 5/6 days at a time up at Fraser. The reel has been striped 4 times for maint. and bearing lube and is in perfect condition. All electronics are encapsulated in some sort of epoxy so I cant see how there could ever be a problem.
    Cheers.

What happens when the battery goes flat??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Theres no battery, the spinning drum generates its own electricity.

these reels will be a "reel" collector`s item in the future, and I wouldn`t be surprised to see Daiwa with one soon.

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    these reels will be a "reel" collector`s item in the future, and I wouldn`t be surprised to see Daiwa with one soon.
    Reggy i have never used one or considered buying one .....But i am curious as to why you think they will be a collectors item!
    What is collectable about them?

I would have thought that with electronics and the subsequent upgrading of those electronics that they would depreciate much faster than other hi end reels.

Not trying to be clever mate..........just curious.

osaka show is on in next couple of days maybe we'll see a daiwa DC there....then again maybe not

JIm
    What would Macgyver do . . . . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
    Reggy i have never used one or considered buying one .....But i am curious as to why you think they will be a collectors item!
    What is collectable about them?

I would have thought that with electronics and the subsequent upgrading of those electronics that they would depreciate much faster than other hi end reels.

Not trying to be clever mate..........just curious.

osaka show is on in next couple of days maybe we'll see a daiwa DC there....then again maybe not

JIm
    Jim
    I`m refering to the very first model DC Calcutta .

Often it is the first model of a new concept that becomes collectable, just because it is or was the "first"

That is why I also said "in the future"
    cheers
    Reggy

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    Jim
    I`m refering to the very first model DC Calcutta .

Often it is the first model of a new concept that becomes collectable, just because it is or was the "first"

That is why I also said "in the future"
    cheers
    Reggy
    Thanks for clearing that up - Makes perfect sense.
    I thought maybe some models had been discontinued or were limited run.

JIM
    What would Macgyver do . . . . . ?