Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Barra fisherman,( the old styles and new )

Re: The Barra fisherman,( the old styles and new )

Quote Originally Posted by 2manylures View Post
    Nothing personal Dick, shoes only fit those who wear them!

Presumably you’ve asked some rather serious questions over the years

Yes I understood the underlying intent of the question. As I've mentioned to you before your bedside manner is a touch rough around the edges. As a nurse you'd make a wonderful undertaker

PS Chewy I reckon they regurgitate during the struggle.

PPS in an attempt to get this back on track -

Fish when you can see the moon.

Hey steve,is it illegal to glue a hook to aduck n send him out for a swim??

I was thinking the same thing as they are always trying to dislodge the lure by spitting them back out and leaping ect

shane

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pasfield View Post
    Yes I understood the underlying intent of the question. As I've mentioned to you before your bedside manner is a touch rough around the edges. As a nurse you'd make a wonderful undertaker
    Ahhhh Dick, you are the soothing voice of moderation which was very much needed in this thread!

My mum is a bit like like 2manylures. She often wants to make a point and has scant regard for the impact some of her more than direct comments might make on others......

Her intentions are good but her method of communication leaves a bit to be desired. Must be a Victorian thing!

I think 2manylures has good intentions but needs to refine his approach in this forum. I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt - this time!......

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pasfield View Post

PPS in an attempt to get this back on track -

Fish when you can see the moon.
    Dick, I agreee with the fish when you can see the moon theory.

Sorry to stray off track again.....As fo the stomach conent of a barra, I often ponder but rarely keep 1 for the table, I recall last time i was out, 1 of the barra regurged a 60-70mm boney , my mate was fishin a very similar size slick rig & failed to draw any strikes, bumps or taps. However, I was using 130mm slick rig & getting constant hits, it wasn't until my mate changed to a 110mm sr that he started to get any attention, but still not as much as the 130's. I might try a TN60 jackall or vib next time to try & match the boney size & profile. Hopefully they're still chasin the same size boney's.
    Colo

Colo I've kept lots of barras, some from the salt some from the fresh but only seen one fish with stomach contents that it promptly deposited on my deck .

Having said the Murdoch Uni did a study up here that included checking barra's stomach contents (they found bony bream the be the most prevalent occupant. They netted the fish of a night) Pehaps fish in the net could not regurgitate???

To keep this on track -

The biggest impediment to having a good day is not being prepared for one.

Unhappy Re: The Barra fisherman,( the old styles and new )

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    Gota agree with Dick here,back when i used to keep barra for a feed,i cannot remember ever finding anything in their stomachs. might be onto something there Steve,with the metabolism.Also iv been wondering if the barra diet in the dam is of a higher fat content than in the salt,leading to the higher fat levels in the barra and the lack of stamina.Do boneys have much fat??I imagine ducks n shags have a pretty high content..
    Now seriously Chew who is really chasing a fat shag?
    let alone eat one?

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Exclamation Re: The Barra fisherman,( the old styles and new )

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Love it, Must be the funky beat that does it Although if Natalie Basthingwaite wanted to come trolling with me it would be hard to kick her out!!
    Steve, no doubt it wood be hard

Now back to the thread: about the fish guts, perhaps they attacked the lure because they had an empty gut?

Hang on didn't tropical trousers start this? something about one liners?

I am with Dick (well I am not with child)

"HAVE A GO YA MUG!" you won't catch 'em on here.
    and put some thought into it
    even if not a lot.

'Ask a local'

save time, learn from other peoples mistakes

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Steve, no doubt it wood be hard

Now back to the thread: about the fish guts, perhaps they attacked the lure because they had an empty gut?

Hang on didn't tropical trousers start this? something about one liners?

I am with Dick (well I am not with child)

"HAVE A GO YA MUG!" you won't catch 'em on here.
    and put some thought into it
    even if not a lot.

'Ask a local'

save time, learn from other peoples mistakes
    awesome stuff Daryl. Right up there with the Mondy map alphabet.

Dave
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

I really think it depends on what stage of digestion you actually hook/catch/ land a barra as to whether or not you are likely to find stomach contents. If a fish hasn't fed for a few days or more and you happen to intersect that fish on a feeding ground at the same time she intends to eat it is highly possible that your lure will be the number one first easy meal. The result- A barra with no food in its stomach. Considering we fine tune our learning over the years to be in the right spot at the right time in salt and fresh, this scenario is often the case.
    On the other side of the swing is rocking up late on a tide, or after one or two days of awesome weather and water conditions that have allowed opportunity for barra to feed freely and willingly. We will find our lure being just another meal, and in this case a hooked fish often discards prior stomach contents during the fight. In this instance it can still be likely for a fish to keep the contents in place depending on the hook placement in the fish's mouth and how the angler applies force, soft or harsh.
    I have found plenty of varied food items in salties from snapping shrimps, mangrove lobsters, prawns, crabs, flathead, bream, among the usual mullet, whiting, herring, silver biddies etc.
    Lake barra often cough up anything from boney bream, gar, redclaw, shrimp, fly specked hardyheads etc etc etc. Depending on the weather cycles and water quality/chemistry it is also noteworthy that barra,,,,and other species will regurgitate on their own, hence why the oily 'spews' can be noted on a lake or river surface. You cannot mistake the pungent oily fish smell of 'spewed' dinner.
    Johnny