Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Barra fisherman,( the old styles and new )

Re: The Barra fisherman,( the old styles and new )

:undecided: What a corker of a question, the key thing for me is to "head out there with an open mind & a double dose of confidence & pay great attention to detail". I believe confidence & a positive attitude is the key, there will always be tough or extremely tough days / weeks / months (in life in general & fishin life) but these are also great opportunities to learn.

I have just started a fishin journal & i believe, after a few years, this will help me "pick" the tough times/good times & grow as an angler (wish i had started back on all my donut trips to weed out the crap times ) . In saying that, anytime is a good time to be flickin lures to the bank (or what have you) of my favourite impoundment, fish or no fish, especially when my boys are older & can handle extended periods on a boat & can share experiences with me should they grow to be like minded.....here's hoping!

Tight lines to all!
    Colo

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Ha, persistance and stealth mate, the sharpest arrows in my quiver
    touche, 2 very important factors!
    Colo

If you see a swirl on top of the water throw to it

shane

Quote Originally Posted by 2manylures View Post
    I don’t believe this question should be species specific as all fish act in a similar manner!
    As already mentioned, find the food source {dietry appropriate on the day} and you’ll find the predators.
    Often the most difficult tasks for the angler is to determine the particular species menu on any given day, where in most instances can vary from 3 or 4 dishes to a smorgasbord..
    Being able to understand & determine the menu on a given day can be the difference between a good bite & a hard bite [as is often referred too] Emulating the menu with artificials is another story!
    Unfortunately you’ve asked a question that can’t be answered with a one line response, fishing is much more complex.
    I got a new question, did you go to school? Get you head out your bum and read the the post its a personal query on you own method that you belive is the most important. Dietry appropriate for the day were did you learn that off the biggest looser?????

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    I got a new question, did you go to school? Get you head out your bum and read the the post its a personal query on you own method that you belive is the most important. Dietry appropriate for the day were did you learn that off the biggest looser?????

Based on one of the few posts that have been initiated by our mate .......... "Whats on the menu" ........ I'm really looking forward to the report & photos of his upcoming trip to Mondy & Awoonga .

Either 2Many will show us his general fish knowledge / prowess ........ or ......... my money is on the latter

The pressure is on

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I got a new question, did you go to school? Get you head out your bum and read the the post its a personal query on you own method that you belive is the most important.

“Dietry appropriate for the day were did you learn that off the biggest looser????? ..... THE SCHOOL OF FISHING IS A LIFE TIME OF LEARNING”
    OK, my head’s out of my bum & yes I did go to school. I’ve also been fortunate enough to have fished with, been taught by & more importantly, learnt from many of Australia’s best anglers, some of whom are members of this site.

If you want to consistently catch fish you need to be aware of your targeted species diet and furthermore you must be prepared to utilise all fishing methods including bait, fly, trolling, jigging, surface, etc etc. If your pride and peer group pressure won’t allow you to do this then you as an angler will never fulfil your potential.

With so many different food sources in any of the many impoundments discussed on this forum, do you honestly think that Barra, Bass, Golden Perch, Murray Cod & even Bony Bream for example don’t vary their diet?

A switched on angler will know fish vary their diet as we do and adjust tactics accordingly.

Casting lures to shallow weedbeds when fish are deep, feeding on crustaceans will generally result in the proverbial doughnut & vice-versa????? Dragging lures under surface feeding fish has the same predictable result.

As you say “THE SCHOOL OF FISHING IS A LIFETIME OF LEARNING” but 1st you must learn and understand the basics.

Assuming you’re a C&R angler who keeps no fish, can I ask you a simple question?

When was the last time you stopped and asked one of the scumbags that kills your beloved Barra what was inside its guts?

Have you ever examined the stomach contents of a size appropriate fish? Yes there is a difference in what a 40cm fish will eat on a specific day opposed to a 90cm fish of the same species.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Based on one of the few posts that have been initiated by our mate .......... "Whats on the menu" ........ I'm really looking forward to the report & photos of his upcoming trip to Mondy & Awoonga .

Either 2Many will show us his general fish knowledge / prowess ........ or ......... my money is on the latter

The pressure is on

Chris
    And if you're wrong, then what?

When was the last time you stopped and asked one of the scumbags that kills your beloved Barra what was inside its guts?
    Fair go, that'd be me, only because they're yummy. The answer nothing, never found anything it the stomach of a barra

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pasfield View Post
    Fair go, that'd be me, only because they're yummy. The answer nothing, never found anything it the stomach of a barra

Nothing personal Dick, shoes only fit those who wear them!

Presumably you’ve asked some rather serious questions over the years

OK, my head’s out of my bum & yes I did go to school. I’ve also been fortunate enough to have fished with, been taught by & more importantly, learnt from many of Australia’s best anglers, some of whom are members of this site.

If you want to consistently catch fish you need to be aware of your targeted species diet and furthermore you must be prepared to utilise all fishing methods including bait, fly, trolling, jigging, surface, etc etc. If your pride and peer group pressure won’t allow you to do this then you as an angler will never fulfil your potential.

With so many different food sources in any of the many impoundments discussed on this forum, do you honestly think that Barra, Bass, Golden Perch, Murray Cod & even Bony Bream for example don’t vary their diet?

A switched on angler will know fish vary their diet as we do and adjust tactics accordingly.

Casting lures to shallow weedbeds when fish are deep, feeding on crustaceans will generally result in the proverbial doughnut & vice-versa????? Dragging lures under surface feeding fish has the same predictable result.

As you say “THE SCHOOL OF FISHING IS A LIFETIME OF LEARNING” but 1st you must learn and understand the basics.

Assuming you’re a C&R angler who keeps no fish, can I ask you a simple question?

Have you ever examined the stomach contents of a size appropriate fish? Yes there is a difference in what a 40cm fish will eat on a specific day opposed to a 90cm fish of the same species.
    Well you are up there then fella, if by which you have been tought by the best and you know it all then fishing is going to be a sinch up there. Wernt you the one comparing a barra to a trout not so long ago???? and has never fished for barra to make that comparrison.

Mate as was said read the post it was a query on what you think was the best sentence that you could put together to increase your catch rate, not a story or parragraph, a sentence.

So as a ex guide whats a sentence you would tell a client to increase his chances of capture? Now that does not mean how to fish i could mean what to once a fish is hooked or what ever. Its a fun thing not serious thing Mr 2many is that ok with you.

So as a ex guide whats a sentence you would tell a client to increase his chances of capture?
    Understand your targeted species dietrary requirements, learn how to find the said diet and you'll find the target.

And if you're wrong, then what?
    I'll be the first one to congratulate your success & eat humble pie

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

[
    Have you ever examined the stomach contents of a size appropriate fish? Yes there is a difference in what a 40cm fish will eat on a specific day opposed to a 90cm fish of the same species.[/quote]

Done it a few times at Awoonga, mostly redclaw...and often have had fishat Monduran purge boney carcasses.

Steve.

Interesting Dick, Why nothing I wonder? do you have any theories on that?? Nothing in their gut means they are either hungry, or they have a higher and faster metabolism in the salt due to increased excersise and workload and process every feed quicker....or do they regurgitate their contents during the fight??? Very interested to here you thoughts.

Gota agree with Dick here,back when i used to keep barra for a feed,i cannot remember ever finding anything in their stomachs. might be onto something there Steve,with the metabolism.Also iv been wondering if the barra diet in the dam is of a higher fat content than in the salt,leading to the higher fat levels in the barra and the lack of stamina.Do boneys have much fat??I imagine ducks n shags have a pretty high content..

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    Gota agree with Dick here,back when i used to keep barra for a feed,i cannot remember ever finding anything in their stomachs. might be onto something there Steve,with the metabolism.Also iv been wondering if the barra diet in the dam is of a higher fat content than in the salt,leading to the higher fat levels in the barra and the lack of stamina.Do boneys have much fat??I imagine ducks n shags have a pretty high content..
    Just like humans...if you dont have to work hard or excersise, and have the luxury of sitting around all day with abundance of food on tap....you will get fat!.....the bait fish would be the same...they dont have to work too hard either....except run away from barra occassionally!!..my take on things...probably wrong.
    Steve