Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Selling your own bait?

Selling your own bait?

Hi all, me and a few mates have an idea of selling bait we catch in our nets. Is this possible? Also who would buy it?

Prices would be like 30c per live mullet etc.. We'd sell them at local boat ramps.

Tom

Re: Selling your own bait?

You might need some sort of licence to do that Tom. Possibly from the local council. You might also run into some govt resistance as you have gone from rec to pro fisherman. You would probably get a bad reception from the regular pro fisherman. If you get labelled a pro fisherman, do you then need a licence for that? Or your boat in survey?

That's all the bad stuff I can think of, but it's only my thoughts about possibilities.

In order to sell any fisheries resources, you need what is known as a buyers licence.

As you stated you wish to catch the bait, you'll also be needing a commercial fishing licence with an endorsement to use apparatus to catch bait coupled with a commercial fishermans licence permitting.

As you're in Brisssy, QLD Boating & Fisheries Patrol in either Pinkenbah or Redlands will give you further info...or check out QLD DPI's fishweb.

www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

if you do catch & sell without authority, you 'black-marketting'...

Thanks, I wouldn't want to be classed as a 'Pro Fisherman' it's just we want to make some more money.

Tom

Tom

You WILL need a licence to catch (a professional fishing licfence) and sell fish from DPIF before you even think of doing this. May be costly and not easy to obtain.

If you catch and sell or otherwise profit from fish without the appropriate licences you will be breaking the law and will be prosecuted. So although I understand that you might think it would be a great way for kids to make a few bucks to pay for fishing expenses, don't do it.

ML

Quote Originally Posted by tailorboi99 View Post
    Thanks, I wouldn't want to be classed as a 'Pro Fisherman' it's just we want to make some more money.

Tom
    It'll be best if you got a job at BCF or Woolies or Macca's if you want some more cash.
    You could 'annoy' the pro guys pretty easily I reckon and you wouldn't want to do that.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I can't work at BCF yet I don't think, need to be 14 and 9months I thought. Might apply at Woolies though,

Tom

You need the correct licence and a master fisherman's licence to run that licence and if fishing out of a boat you will need a coxwain or eqivalent and to sell to the public you will require a buyers licence and all these licences cost money have requirements and need seatime and courses to acheive but all that means little if your not 18 as you won't be old enough to qualify.

But do it the wrong way and it would be a short career path fisheries will confiscate your gear and you will be prosecuted, in your case i guess as a juvinial.

Thanks for that Samson, this idea isn't looking to good then.

Tom

yeah no way.. will need a range of licences etc...

Ok, guessing this question is all cleared..

Thanks for all this information guys,
    saved us getting into a lot of trouble by the looks of it.

Its a cool idea Tom, for a young fella but the regulatory authorities will not be happy...nor the pro's as their prices are somewhat determined by the level of overheads,licences,tax's etc and then they have to turn a profit and support their families...

There was a young fella just north of here who set up a little enterprise whereby ( obviously with a little help from his old man ) he had a bunch of tanks and troughs under an old queenslander,that were full of Mud Cod...these are the gun live bait and very sought after by Barra fisho's....

Anyway he was catching quite large quantities of these fish in the nearby creeks and he had a sign out on the main road and was selling them for a couple of bucks each...I called in one day and bought quite a few to release into a dam that I had recently stocked with barra fingerlings ...he had quite a setup and had heaps of fish and apparently the business was becoming so successful that he had fished out the local creeks that were accessible by pushbike and his parents were having to drive him further afield to plunder other creeks and holes..

However next time I went to get some more the sign was gone and the booming little business had ceased to exist....

Like some of the other guys have suggested stick to legal means for pocket money...you are far to young to be involved in blackmarket activities..

Scott

Goes to show what a regulated world we live. Bad luck Tom , rules are rules these days but when I was a young bloke I was selling yabbies during xmas hols on the yabbie banks across from Loders Creek caravan park on the Goldy. Made enough for a few things I wanted to buy for my BMX bike (set of Tuffs . No shortage of customers either.

Cheers

Greg

Borrow your old mans mower and do some door knocking... Cash in the hand

Matt.

Goes to show what a regulated world we live.
    Getting really side tracked now but i thought we lived in the " lucky country " but that tag doesnt seem to fit much anymore. Regulations for everything we like doing or used to do, like fire works damn i miss them and would love to have a fire works night for my young son at home. Being a young fella now keeps getting harder and harder hey Tom. To many uni degree dead heads around in power trying to change the world for the better.

I feel better now

Scott