Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Selling your own bait?

Re: Selling your own bait?

Interesting arguement Scott (disorderly) ,you could be right, infact I think U are, tom find something legal

Thanks for all this guys, given me some encouragement and chukkles.

Tom,

Pm me if you're putting in at Colmslie on a weekend, I'll try and get you some bait for a donation

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by mik01 View Post
    mate - you are spot on here...

we're talking about a 14yr old kid who is taking an initiative to earn a few $$ pocket money. and a heap of blokes have shot him down and nay sayed what a lot of you did when you were a kid.

as for the pros - who gives a rats arse? how much business can a 14yr old kid take from a pro? he would most probably only be able to devote his time to it on the school holidays, so very limited to how much impact he could have.

to run a lawn mowing business, you need insurance and a certificate of business registration (at least). likewise to run a dog wash, car wash etc.

so are we saying this kid would need to have insurance and a registered business to mow lawns otherwise he could be in trouble with the authorities???

gee its a damn shame that kids cant be kids anymore - and we wonder why obesity, stress etc affects our kids so much these days - we are trying to make them grown up before they are ready.

I say go for it kid - just learn not to ask questions of adults - we have all become brainwashed by this regulated society and no longer are able to live free.

I agree..let's encourage the young bloke to break the law at his age..what a wonderful start to his adult life..perhaps then we could educate on some other items he could sell on the street..then even manufacture his own goods to sell and set up a distribution network..could work a treat,..all those lil pills.

Isn't there enough bloody trouble with young adults having total disrespect for the law as it is ????

Good on him for having the idea nd wanting to give it a go however he does have to be aware that there are rules and regulations that he has to abide by.

Damn shame that someone within the fishing industry hasn't seen Tom's posts and thought "strewth a kid who wants to have a go, I'll give him a few hours on my boat for some pocket money....................

The world has turned 180 degrees....for the worse. As a kid I mowed lawns, took the grass away on my billycart, put the clippings on the worm farm, grew worms and sold some to the local blokes in my block etc.....

My dad even helped me with a couple of big lawns occassionaly ....strewth I wonder if he knew he was aiding and abetting a non licenced and non insured lawn mowing enterprise !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or was he trying to lead me into lying and cheating and lead me into a life of crime, one of my customers was a policeman, he appreciated his lawns mowed as he was time poor.

So now I find I should have had insurance, mowing licence, tax file number, do my bas statement every month, pay an environment green house levy on the lawn clippings, pay for a worm growing licence, retail worm sales licence...insurance in case someone gets sick eating my worms. God on and on we go.......................................!

Tom, don't sell drugs ok !!!!!!! Not a good business plan......

I bet if a pro saw you selling some bait at the ramp he wouldn't call the cops, coastguard, epa, council etc He would have a chuckle and think strewth I used to do that when I was that age, wonder if this kid wants to earn a few xtra bucks working on a boat, most kids sit at home and play on a bloomin computer.

Tom good to see you thinking out outside the box, good to see you wanting to have a go, if I ever see "Toms bait sales" at a boat ramp count me in as a customer. Later when you grow the business via the internet and sell bait world wide and have all the necessary licences (naturally), let me know and I will buy some shares in your company....... I bet good things will happen in your life, your having a go at it now....good on ya.
    Cheers Garry

A bad day fishing, beats a good day at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what some of you blokes did 30 or more years ago is irrelevant now..times have changed and so have the rules.

Thanks Garry, you've put a real big smile on my face. We might just do this for the fun of it and a few donations. We're trying to clear the Tilapia at Minnipi, sell bait, make lures and lots more .

Thanks to everyone for your opinions has helped us a great deal!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    what some of you blokes did 30 or more years ago is irrelevant now..times have changed and so have the rules.
    I think everyone who has posted on this thread is just trying to have some fun, and while you are obviously allowed to have your own opinions, I think people are just reminiscing of what they did as a kid. I don't think they are trying to persuade tom to brake the law.
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

Thanks Snagking.

Tom

Top post young fulla makes me wish I was a kid again, knowin what I know now me and you could make a killin...remember the old saying, everyone and eveything has a price

Tailorboi 99 / Tom;

I suspect you never dreamed of generating such a response... Some of it useful, some hyper-critical and some just plain rot.

It does amaze me slightly that not one of the many people replied that own a boat - offered you a seat on their boat as one off, or from time to time, in exhange for mullet / live bait WHICH IS LEGAL - and IS A CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTION - weather you accept or not is another issue. If I had a boat - I would certainly help you out with a swap.

As for earning cash though - just an idea that I set my 12 year old nephew in, and is now making about $150 month in profit on a very small scale - is breeding fish for the aquarium trade. Live bearers such as Mollies, balloon mollies, guppies, endlers etc - all breed like flies and always a demand. He gets between 1/3 and 1/2 retail price depending on specific fish - this means for an endler - he is getting $3.00/fish! He has about 10 females churning out about 100 - 150 babies a month, so allowing for parents eating young / deaths - he can make up to 150/month from one line if he sells the lot...

His set up I bought for him - his initial tank from big W + heater and food and chemicals cost about $60.00 - and from then he just reinvested on cheap tanks from that e-bayed place and presto...

Just an idea.

Another is breeding "pinkie" mice for the pet trade - but I couldnt do that knowing their ultimate fate - in a snakes belly.

Good on you - I admire initiative in a young person! Pitty more Aussies didnt have similar drive (and yes I am Aussie).

Brad.

Thanks braddles.
    I think it was myself who gave Tom the idea to ask a question about selling bait, and I agree with quite a lot of what people have said, that it is illegal and what not, but could we sell them as fish food then?
    Does that change laws then?

And I am surprised that no one has offered, but if any of you ever go for a fish and put in at colmslie boat ramp, drop one of us a PM and we can get you some bait as long as you ask nicely
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

Hey Tom, What a great Idea. I used to think up ways to make money as a lad too
    I've got an idea for you.
    Fishing guides have to catch there own live bait when they would rather be in bed.
    Why not ask a few if you could help em out a bit and work under THERE licence??
    Provided you can come up with the required amount for them, You just might have your first little contract happening
    Good luck

Are there any fishing guides in Brisbane on this site?
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

Quote Originally Posted by Braddles View Post
    Tailorboi 99 / Tom;

I suspect you never dreamed of generating such a response... Some of it useful, some hyper-critical and some just plain rot.

It does amaze me slightly that not one of the many people replied that own a boat - offered you a seat on their boat as one off, or from time to time, in exhange for mullet / live bait WHICH IS LEGAL - and IS A CONSTRUCTIVE SUGGESTION - weather you accept or not is another issue. If I had a boat - I would certainly help you out with a swap.

As for earning cash though - just an idea that I set my 12 year old nephew in, and is now making about $150 month in profit on a very small scale - is breeding fish for the aquarium trade. Live bearers such as Mollies, balloon mollies, guppies, endlers etc - all breed like flies and always a demand. He gets between 1/3 and 1/2 retail price depending on specific fish - this means for an endler - he is getting $3.00/fish! He has about 10 females churning out about 100 - 150 babies a month, so allowing for parents eating young / deaths - he can make up to 150/month from one line if he sells the lot...

His set up I bought for him - his initial tank from big W + heater and food and chemicals cost about $60.00 - and from then he just reinvested on cheap tanks from that e-bayed place and presto...

Just an idea.

Another is breeding "pinkie" mice for the pet trade - but I couldnt do that knowing their ultimate fate - in a snakes belly.

Good on you - I admire initiative in a young person! Pitty more Aussies didnt have similar drive (and yes I am Aussie).

Brad.
    are you serious...people are not even allowed to take pics of kids at sporting events these days..as if I or anyone else would take a 14 year old kid that we have never met before out on our boats..that certainly is leaving yourself open for many accusations. I know many years back when I was pres of Little Athletics club..had to be sure not to make any contact with any of the kids..make sure all the kids had been collected by parents or other adult known to them...too many dangers down that path these days.