Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spearfishing Marlin

Re: Spearfishing Marlin

I have done a lot of spearing over the years and believe me if the marlin just sits there and waits to be speared after it is teased up it is the only fish in the world that does.I have also line fished for marlin and probably 10% of those released dont see the next sunset.At the end of the day its not spearos depleting the stocks or the sport fisherman-but the long liners etc are another story.
    Happy spearing
    greg
    IS THAT A ROD IN MY POCKET OR AM I JUST HAPPY TO BE FISHING

Quote Originally Posted by larfin View Post
    .I have also line fished for marlin and probably 10% of those released dont see the next sunset.greg
    Mate that is an old wives tale and is totally untrue! There is plenty of data out there now thanks to sat tagging and survival rates are very good. A tagged marlin after being tagged generally heads straight for the bottom where it sulks for a few hours but by the end of the day it's up feeding again. This was shown clearly by a skipper on gold coast to be true, he recaptured a marlin he had tagged only 5 hrs earlier! I have never understood where the 10% figure can from but i've heard it from many sorces , interesting though because before sat tagging started they had know idea and no way of telling what the survival rate was after capture! More than likely it was started by people who kept there marlin ( for what ever reason) to justify there decission to do so! But there is no way it was ever based on any real evidence as the data didn't exist!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Most marlin will revive and release if you are willing to put the effort in there are of course fish that get gill or gut hooked but with the non offsert circles and the education of anglers to treat the fish the right way i think the survival rate would be very good these days and IMO the kill rate would probably be very very low .

Unless of course it is spearfishing probably 100 % mortality i would not imagine they stand any chance of earning their freedom and surviving !
    quote of the day ( guns don`t kill people fathers with pretty daughters do ) !!:wink:

Ian 90% IS a very good survival rate.You have to take into account shark attack and internal damage heart failure etc.The studys I have read would suggest the mortality rate for J hooks is higher than 10% and lower for circle hooks-around 4 %.However my original post was made to support the spearos not argue the release statistics.
    cheers
    greg
    IS THAT A ROD IN MY POCKET OR AM I JUST HAPPY TO BE FISHING

That's not sport at all!
    You need another 5 or 6 boats working the same bait with a spread of five out the back. Then i'll call it sport.
    Go jump in the bath tub and see how long you can hold your breath for if that's what it's all about.
    if you think you're a sharp shooter then paint a target at the end of a pool the same principal applies at the rifle range for shooters.
    if it's fitness go run a marathon.
    It's all of these things combined though that bring out our basic instinct and go way back through history, we were after all hunters and gatherers.
    just don't hunt more than you can gather or consume.

Fast growing fish and in big numbers is there an absence of necessity to spear an overwhelming quantity of food for the table. Yes legal..... Some spearfishermen must have commercial size freezers or just the thrill of the kill in ones social admiration. Elite spearfishermen travel abroad to hunt the prize and pay the big bucks to do so......Interesting to measure how many fillets they bring back through Aussie customs.

Why drag up a 10 year old post that nobody gives a rats about?

Spearfishing Marlin

I see Ihunttropgyhunters has been a member of Ausfish for one and a half weeks. In that time he has brought up two very old post regarding the spearing of large fish.

Is there an agenda here?

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ihunttrophyhunters View Post
    Fast growing fish and in big numbers is there an absence of necessity to spear an overwhelming quantity of food for the table. Yes legal..... Some spearfishermen must have commercial size freezers or just the thrill of the kill in ones social admiration. Elite spearfishermen travel abroad to hunt the prize and pay the big bucks to do so......Interesting to measure how many fillets they bring back through Aussie customs.
    Can't imagine any fillets being legally taken through customs.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    I see Ihunttropgyhunters has been a member of Ausfish for one and a half weeks. In that time he has brought up two very old post regarding the spearing of large fish.

Is there an agenda here?

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums
    Might be a Woman they like digging up the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People travel the world and pay the big bucks for a trophy fish just like a trophey hunter........Absence of necessity some say......self admiration for others. Discarding the carcass or to contribute to a community has no self ecomnomic value to feed ones self. I have not been able to have rational response as to how the processing of or the customs of food is managed by several pacific marlin enthusiasts offering spear fishing adventures abroad.

As a commercial fisherman.....I have many interests of topic and or discussion.....No wrong or right as how new a member can be? I am particularly interested in the absence of necessity of such recorded captures be it legal or illegal.

... ...
    Last edited by PixieAU; 26-02-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Pointless

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post

Is there an agenda here?
    Could also be that he has just joined, gone through the list of topics and just answered to a couple of posts that hold interest to him, regardless of how old the topics are, it is also good to keep these topics alive for future discussions. That is the reason for forums, to discuss subjects, issues and ideas, whether we personally agree to them all or not. Everybody has a different view and the right to express it. "Agenda"? who knows, and does it really matter!

What is your preferred sex to make comment? What is the minimum membership subscription date for new members to comment/view Ausfish content? I have interests in sociological and ecological thesis PHD BSc(Hons) James Cook University philosophy in Marine Biology...….A new member yes and identify as male......Owner operator commercial CLF NT.