Thread: Light Surf /Beach Rod

Light Surf /Beach Rod

I am interested in buying a new rod to suit light surf/ beach fishing Dart/Whiting/Flathead etc and maybe smaller taylor.

Because I only beach fish infrequently I was hoping to buy a rod which would enable me to use one of my existing spinning reels Daiwa Exceller 3000 or 4000 with 12 lb line.

Can you recommend anything suitable in say 10'6" to 11' without spending more than $100?

Re: Light Surf /Beach Rod

Hi mate. This subject has been done lots of times. almost to death. so do a search for something. there are a couple of good manufacturers out there. Snyder and wilson are great, gary howard is better but a bit more expensive. I love the snyder and howard rods personally. for a 100 bucks you could get yourself a wilson mt4144. they are good for the above listed species. Also, snyder does lots that are designed for those species but are a bit over 100. you could go for the chinese stuff like bigfield or surecatch. but IMO its a waste of money. The aussie made rods will last you a very long time. They were designed for alveys, and one of the reasons they are such a success is they last forever. so its fitting that the rods last a while too.

cheers

Owen

Hi mate,
    Nothing wrong with asking the question. If you dont ask you will never know. New rods come out all the time but a search may help. The suggested rods are all great surf rods but they will all blow your budget. I also think they will be too heavy to use with a 3000 - 4000 size spin reel. i would head down to your local tackle shop with your 4000 reel and try it on a couple of rods to see how it balances. For the fish you are targeting i would seriously consider a Shore Spin Starlo Stix from Shimano. A bit shorter than you wanted but would balance with your reels, keep you close to $100 and handle all the mentioned fish. Not quite a true beach rod but worth a look.

Scott

try a Wilson Shoreline, 10'6" available in one or two piece, medium or low mount......around $120. IMHO the best allround cheapie(but still quality) light surf rod. Aussie built with fuji guides. I run one of them with a 4000 Daiwa, and a low mount with a 5" Alvey. Great for bream, whiting,Tailor, flathead off the beach.......4-6kg line. They are glass blank so they are tough, and have a great action.

Greg

I second wilson as a good brand. They are made on Kilwell blanks, which are made in NZ, and built in OZ. Since you are after whiting aswell, i would tend to avoid the spin style composite blanks. as they have a heavier tip and will give you lots of grief trying to catch whiting. Greg mentioned a great rod, the MT4144 is good. snyder has brought out some new models. i think they are called beach and surf specials, these are at a really good price.

cheers

Owen

Thank you all for your responses gentlemen. You have given me some good information to help me in my selection of a suitable rod.

I appreciate you taking the time help me out.

I had seen the Wilson MT 4144 but thought that a 12' rod might not be as suitably balanced when fitted with a lighter style of Daiwa reel but will look at this rod again and also check out the 10'6" Wilson Shoreline and Snyder Glas rods.

What are the views on using a Wilson Shoreline 10'6" with an Alvey Luderick Special 475 of breakwalls and the like for bream and blackfish, as well as light surf with an Alvey 55b?
    Cheers,
    BobA

Pennpowerstick good value and great for the money

Mate I have a cheap Shimano Catana 10' it has been bashed around for about 3 years now and has been excellent. I think I paid $70 brand new.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au