Thread: Daiwa Sensor Surf Rod

Daiwa Sensor Surf Rod

Hi,
    I have the 2-4oz 15-30lb 12ft Daiwa Sensor Surf rod which I'll be using for Salmon / Mulloway.
    I am using 30lb Daiwa Saltiga Surf Braid on a Saltiga Surf 6000 reel.
    I can get a 4oz grapnel sinker + whole pilchard out just over 70mtrs using this setup.
    I also got to the 100mtr mark with a 6oz sinker no bait.
    Would i get more distance using the heavier 3-6oz 20-40lb model?
    Thanks,
    Billy

Re: Daiwa Sensor Surf Rod

Nice outfit Billy. Bit of a Daiwa fan hey. I would love the Saltiga surf 4500 to have a higher retreive rate.
    I think you would get a bit more distance with the 3-6oz rod because you would be throwing within its specs. You are more than likely over loading your current rod which would mean it is over flexing during the cast and after. Its the flexing after the cast that robs distance as well as not getting a quick snap back through the cast. You want the rod to straighten as quick as possible after the cast to allow the line to flow smoothly. If your game you could also drop down to 20lb braid, that will give you a bit more distance but it might be a bit light for the weights you are casting. Watch the braid on your finger aswell, it cuts like a knife through butter. My finger is proof of that.
    Will a pilly hold up to being cast any further than 70m. There might not be much left of it when it gets out further. One negative to going for the 3-6oz rod is that it would be to stiff for most 40 - 60g metals and poppers, your current setup would out cast it.
    Some might ask if the extra distance is needed, not me, i love blasting my metals out the back of the waves. It has often meant i have caught fish while others have gone without.

Scott

I want the best for casting 4oz weights with whole pillys upto 6oz weights with whole salmon trout. Need it to be fine for salmon fishing also.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyMako View Post
    I want the best for casting 4oz weights with whole pillys upto 6oz weights with whole salmon trout. Need it to be fine for salmon fishing also.
    Then buy the 3-6oz rod. They are the weights you are casting. And you would still have your current rod for the Salmon.

Scott