Thread: Mullet

Mullet

Hi all, I like the look of Mullet for some reason and thinking of stocking a fish tank with them. I'd purchase them from a fish store or something. What would I feed them and can they live in freshwater? The smaller ones around 5cm's.

Thanks Tom

Re: Mullet

no idea...but if u lived near me i would buy them off you for live food for my big mangrove jack...40ish cm...still growing.

Where do you live mate ?

Townsville...middle of barradise, i usually just throw a 12ft net a few times get enough bait for a couple weeks...not sure where you would buy them down there, heard pet shops but expensive...and you need a high alkalinity water..fresh with a handfull of salt in it.

Just normal salt or what???

Tom

from the aquarium shop dude...you should give them a bell and ask what they can get in stock of natives.

Aha thanks, I'm new to the Saltwater stocking seen. I have 2 Gold Severums and 2 Jack Dempseys in my tank at the moment.

Tom

yea its not really salt water thos its a tank with only a cup full or so of salt...same for barra/toga/any sort of fish that can survive in fresh.

Hmm a baby Barra might be quite nice plus they would eat livies

Tom,

Thanks for all your help

yea don't feed them too much livies or they will get accustomed to them and not eat regular food (dead bait) barra farm will probably sell them to you cheaper than a pet shop.

Ok thanks Rhyce,

Tom