Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Aussie W/End Mondy

Re: Aussie W/End Mondy

"Trolling Info for those planning a trip to Mondy.

A few blokes we met in the camp were trolling 4 rods out and going over fish with approx 10-12 footers and they got a couple of fish over a few days. They were trolling approx 20-30ft of water in the creek bed of B.

Fish seemed to be around the thermocline on the sounder. They had big days on the water as well and were out at 4am and we saw them out there in the late arvo as well."

My " mates " up in B Bay didnt catch much trolling, they were too pissed even to drive the boat, and got lost driving home. Disaster waiting to happen...
    Hope i dont meet them up at the dam again. Not much fun asking people to not troll 3 meters away from us while we were tie up to a tree.
    Aggressive and pissed
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by wheezer View Post
    top read Brian, thanks for putting the effort in...regarding your jump offs with a low rod angle, well sometimes it can't be helped, as they say 'thats fishin' but i did make this point today in another thread, a low rod angle, or rather pointing the rod at a fish removes the cushioning effect of the rod. this is magnfied by the lack of stretch in braid. jumping barra are voilent barra! and by not allowing the rod to absorb the headshakes then the likelyhood of something giving ie hooks pulling is magnified...i don't pretend to be an expert but this is one of the observations i have made over my time, i hope it helps...look forward to your next yarn!

Andrew, I was thinking along those lines with the lack of forgivness on a horizontal stick, but Im trying to kep the rod at right angles to the line, if that makes sense. I actually have this whole theory on B52's, dont I Ben.... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by eotbmg View Post
    Great stuff Brain, congrats on such a great trip.

Funny how all our fave spots are yours or Naths, or Chewys, or Lyndons or whoevers.

We found the fish to be flighty around heavy boat traffic [ not surprisingly ] no coincidence the fish came on the chew on Monday considering Sundays Boat a thon.
    Between the Mexicans and myself we boated 9. Dropped about the same, high lights were both the boys first barra on placcys[ thanks to Nagg for his cooking recepie]
    Lee got the 2 106's on Squidgys. Josh dropping a 90's fish after a 10 minute fight around super heavy structure, knocked off at the leader. I dropped beheamoth in your home point[ straightened trebles and split rings]. I didnt go too hard on the fish, just thumb pressure, couldnt get a wind on her and she spat the B 52 back at me.

Same deal with us mate B52 was the standout, Lee got one on the bigger version as well.

Loved the conditions-absolutely no wind,dead calm all day, the stuff dreams are made of.

Cheers
    Ben
    There was some good fishing to be had mate hey, just had to be Johnny on THE spot at the right time, which was when ever a fish decided to do you a favour, luck of the draw I think.

Cheers to every one for the kind words, all who were up there fished hard, and tried to fish smart, with some mixed results, depending on how tinny you were at the time I reckon.
    Looking forward to reports from Nath, Vin, Navi as well, who all got fish.

Quote Originally Posted by eotbmg View Post
    "Trolling Info for those planning a trip to Mondy.

A few blokes we met in the camp were trolling 4 rods out and going over fish with approx 10-12 footers and they got a couple of fish over a few days. They were trolling approx 20-30ft of water in the creek bed of B.

Fish seemed to be around the thermocline on the sounder. They had big days on the water as well and were out at 4am and we saw them out there in the late arvo as well."

My " mates " up in B Bay didnt catch much trolling, they were too pissed even to drive the boat, and got lost driving home. Disaster waiting to happen...
    Hope i dont meet them up at the dam again. Not much fun asking people to not troll 3 meters away from us while we were tie up to a tree.
    Aggressive and pissed
    Ben
    Was an ideal opportunity for the Fisheries and the QPS to make a visit to do the odd checks.....but I guess paying O/Time was more important......You had a blinder Ben well done......Cheers Whitto

Anyone got the GPS coordinates of "Silver Back Hill"? I think it needs to be added to my version of the Mondy map.
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

I was looking for your mates yesterday morn on the way up mate, they must have managed to find their way home, jeeez, ya know how to antagonize people

Quote Originally Posted by Callop View Post
    Anyone got the GPS coordinates of "Silver Back Hill"? I think it needs to be added to my version of the Mondy map.
    Tust me mate, its a place you dont want to visit!

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    I was looking for your mates yesterday morn on the way up mate, they must have managed to find their way home, jeeez, ya know how to antagonize people

Yeah i know, i gave em the benefit of the doubt too, first up they were just too maggoted to understand what they were up to. Mischevious buggers!

Sounds like you are converted to the B 52 brigade, mate.

Fine keep that "honey hole" to yourself brian, but I am happy to help an ausfisher out.

Callop,

Turn left out of B and head up just after a point on the right and your there..... Pretty sure Lyndon also calls it metre barra bay. There are some great fish up there, $1.85, and they "smash" everything. GO, GO, GO!!!!

I told you there were fish there....

Scott

What a way to spend Aussie day

Good read as always Brian ...... well done

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Brian, thats a great report of your trip. You must of felt great coming back in after that Monday session on top of the fish you had already caught the other days. Those ones you miss tend to stay more on your mind thans the ones you land I find. You keep running them thru your mind wondering what you could have done different for next time.

To all the guys who have posted in this thread, thanks for all the reports. I have been looking forward to hearing the reports of this last weekend and is great to follow all your adventures and experiences. Just wish I was there. Just makes the IBD worse! Keep them coming. - cheers and thanks to all - Richard

Ok

My turn...

This was a trip of a different kind for me, I was playing guide to a mate of mine Graeme,(aka REX) hes a nice old fella who has had his fair share of a bad run with the big C and he was telling me that his goal was to catch a Barra, so I set the weekend down for Aussie day and let him get some gear together so he was all set to do battle...

As has been said it was wet, rex and me set camp and got ready to got out for a quick scan to see where we would base our trip...

So as the early birds went out sparrow fart I waited till rex was ready to go and we headed to a few spots I thought would hold a fish to put a bend in Greames new gear. I watched the thermal cline and tied on a classic bobby dazzler and he lobbed it out as I hit the gutter he was on the holler 'I got him' a massive boil and a typical big fish run saw the old fella hard at work!!! He held tough and the fish made a few runs, rexie began to tire quiker then a 15 year old virgin and tried to palm the rod off but I refused and a few tiresome minutes late I dragges a 102cm fish onto the deck... I was over the moon to say the least, Graeme was suffering but I mannaged to put the fish into his arms for a photo attempt but due to bad mannagement the pic diddn't work not to worry there will be more....

The next day we headed out to spot x which turns out to be everyones spot x anyhow, my fishing buddy was not a strong caster but I was eager to get the double one trolling and one casting so he could decide his fav...

Well what happened next was nothing short as awesome we tied on some frogs and worked a weed gutter.. it took a whole five casts for him and a bow wave followed by a massive boof all but 5 feet from the boat it was fantastic, it was a bit smaller this fish and the battle was soon put in the boat and this time all camreas were on tap!!!!

I think I enjoyed that one more then Graeme anyhow we kept casting for the next hour with another massive bow wave my heart went through my chest but he just kept comming but as it went down I was shore there was going to be a boof, there was nothing oh well just seeing that was enough.... Back to camp Grame was buggered and I was off on my own to try and nail a fish for myself I ducked up to a secrect popular spot and brain was tied there too we casted to the same spot for a hour till I tied on a great lure called a VIPER well a few cast and connection my boat went from one side of the tree to the other rather quick and it was a big fish but as he rounded a tree the hooks pulled and she was gone.. what a rush.. no sooner another fish leaping from the water flicking the viper at Brian literally he jumped and full turned horozontally a awesome leap...

The next day Grame and i had a flick around and I nailed a pup which is great to see the little fish are small and not inspiring but as hard to find as a 120 so I was pleased.. we had a few pecks but no connection for the morn.

that arvo I went out to do a night run so I worked a couple of points for nill result till I saw Brian tired off so I went for a chat and tied off up of the point and began casting... Brian was on FIRE a catty kicked it off then a serries of connections then finally a sticker go the b52.. we herd some massive boofs all over the area we were in and cattys sucking stuff of the surface...

A wrap up was a fantastic few days with some of the best people to share a trip with, Whitto, Justin, Lyndon, Scotty (sorry mate about the rod) Brain( totally enjoyed a flick with ya brother, I talked to Deano, that over nighter will be a go for sure) Ben and the boys, good to see ya and cheers for the beer.. and finally to Greame, mate if you read this thankyou for letting me take you fishing mate I enjoyed every minute and I was glad to forfill a life long dream...

Happy Aussie day to all

Till the next trip, Cheers Nath

Good on ya for talking Graeme out. It's always special when you put em onto a fishparticularly when it sounds like he could do with a bit of good luck.
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

It was a fantastic trip all round, not so much fish wise for me, although I could get a job as a professional netter and leccy driver

Some quality fish came to the net, and what a dream session Brian had. Super stuff mate. I had great fun fishing with Josh, Lee, Chewy, Navi and Vin, but unfortunately did not get to fish with Ben due to respective boat driving duties.

It was crazy weather at times, blowing from different directions in short windows, rain, humidity, heat (some of it from those inebriated gentlemen that buzzed Ben and Josh)...all the ingredients for good fishing. We fished hard night and day and most of the boys were rewarded for the fruits of their labour.

All up a beaut trip and can't wait to venture back.

I'll try and add some more tomorrow, at a more respectable hour. Nice also to catch up with Whitto, Graeme, Scotty and Lyndon...somehow we missed you at camp Nath.

Here's a small selection of pics, including one of Brian (I'll send the rest of them to you tomorrow Brian for you to post if you like).

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

this has been a awsome read guys. verry good post.
    figjam :wink:

Nath & Paul

A great read guys ...... nice fishies - As I said before "What a great way to spend Aussie day" ....... & even better that the barra come out to play (for some )

Nath ..... What a fantastic gesture taking Graeme away to pursue his dream - .... "That's as Aussie as it comes !"

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO