Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

I missed this round due to a friends 30th.

As mentioned before,There is alot the cameras don't show you.

You must also factor in :- These guys are under pressure to perform for sponsors,Cameras,And to earn competition points so that they remain for the next tour.Not to mention their personal pride is on the line.

I imagine it's not quite the same as a casual Sundee arvo session with one of ya mates.

This could explain the blood rush leading to extream rod angles,And the brute force tactics of trying to dictate terms to these fish.A combination of pressure and adrenalin can make you do things you normally wouldn't do.

After watching the Awoonga round last week...I was very surprised to see the decisions made,Hook setting methods ,Fighting styles,And the tactics used to get bit by the countys elite.

Good on Mat Mott for showing some initiative.I reckon he deserved to win.

I don't think a word was even mentioned about line or leaders during the show I watched last week.I think it would be a welcome addition for veiwers of the program to see these boys rigging up their gear before the comp from go to whoa,And explaining their choices in regards to their chosen tackle.

Cheers. B8.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

I have just finished reading harro book BARRA and there is a sectoin on how to free spool a barra,there is even a couple off pictures. Now im new to this dam fishing, I was watching last weeks round at awoonga and when they where fishing weed beds anchored...... What type off anchor do you use? or do you use just a weight and how far from fishing spot do you put anchor down? when stealth is so important. Any advice would be great...... Thanks Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robo2242 View Post
    I have just finished reading harro book BARRA and there is a sectoin on how to free spool a barra,there is even a couple off pictures. Now im new to this dam fishing, I was watching last weeks round at awoonga and when they where fishing weed beds anchored...... What type off anchor do you use? or do you use just a weight and how far from fishing spot do you put anchor down? when stealth is so important. Any advice would be great...... Thanks Rob
    Hi Rob

A lead weight is fine ..... if you can make 1
    (nice and flat..... An old frying pan would make a good mould) ..... say 10kg ........ not sure how it goes in those screaming winds that you get at Awoonga

I use a sand anchor & 5M of chain ........ Its not the best option (chain noise ) I've now covered the chain in bicycle inner tube (much better).

If you do use chain & anchor ....... Make sure you drop back as far as you can on the rope 30- 50 M ..... + your casting range ......... You could lower the anchor 70 or 80M off your chosen area

I hope this helps

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks chris will give it a go next time Thanks rob

Does anybody know when this round was actually held???

Cheers baz

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Ehsman View Post
    Does anybody know when this round was actually held???

Cheers baz
    Hi Baz

End of Oct !

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey Guys, I agree with most of the comments. I could not believe the rod angles these guys were using. Maybee they were trying to get some jumping footage but it certainly cost them some fish! Some of the netting techniques used were some of the worst I have everseen. For fishos that are supposed to be at that level they certainly looked lacking. I imagin the pressure and desperation of being in the comp would contribute to some degree but at that level they should be used it. I agree that more attention should go into showing their riging up etc. I to were supprised to see no twisted leaders! Is there a rule prohibiting their use?
    Cheers

they seem to of lost a lot of fish using 80lb leader impatience and putting to much hurt on the fish to early i know there are snags and such but they were winding as hard as they could to try and turn the fish and that puts a lot more strain on the leader then letting the fish have a few runs and tire a bit before turning them my opionon only and i have only fished the dam once but have done a lot of barra fishing in the N/T in the last few years (p.s i am guilty of it there as well with 80lb leader near the sticks the fish kept running and i kept putting a lot of pressure to turn her thought she got me under a stick but the leader had frayed just above the hook)

Shane

Quote Originally Posted by robersl View Post
    they seem to of lost a lot of fish using 80lb leader impatience and putting to much hurt on the fish to early i know there are snags and such but they were winding as hard as they could to try and turn the fish and that puts a lot more strain on the leader then letting the fish have a few runs and tire a bit before turning them my opionon only and i have only fished the dam once but have done a lot of barra fishing in the N/T in the last few years (p.s i am guilty of it there as well with 80lb leader near the sticks the fish kept running and i kept putting a lot of pressure to turn her thought she got me under a stick but the leader had frayed just above the hook)

Shane
    I'm glad others are seeing the same thing as I did .......... I'm really thinking that it was the mental pressure that got them over excited ......... These guys know the waters fairly well & they fish plastics heaps ...... which mean they would be aware of the wear on leaders when using them.
    I thought Hank & the Yank were good to watch

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey Chris, I think it is good viewing but i think a few bad habits can be learnt i know they had the pressure on to land the fish and to stop them from jumping they were putting the rods down at an angle i just think it would be hard to keep the presure on the fish and guide the fish at some of the angles they had the rods

shane

Hi Chris,

There was quite a lot of fish lost during the Monduran AFC round. With the solid, fast fish & scattered timber it was always going to be a tricky-to-land type tournament.

The high rod angles & upward pressure were used to make the barramundi jump while leading them away from the standing & laydown timber which was abundant.

There were also some stumps under the surface which were found in the prefish and getting the fish in the air and keeping them from tangling & rubbing off on any timber was the idea.

This technique is usually effective at Peter Faust Dam on fish around timber although in the AFC event at Monduran the fish didn't want to jump! They did on some of the open water captures but most of them were running hard under the surface. The fish just didn't follow the plan!

It would have been a good idea to change the tactic earlier and possibly gone to free-spooling but that's fishing! It was a fun episode to watch though!

Thanks,

Cy & Kerrin Taylor
    Whitsundays QLD

Quote Originally Posted by cy_taylor1 View Post
    Hi Chris,

There was quite a lot of fish lost during the Monduran AFC round. With the solid, fast fish & scattered timber it was always going to be a tricky-to-land type tournament.

The high rod angles & upward pressure were used to make the barramundi jump while leading them away from the standing & laydown timber which was abundant.

There were also some stumps under the surface which were found in the prefish and getting the fish in the air and keeping them from tangling & rubbing off on any timber was the idea.

This technique is usually effective at Peter Faust Dam on fish around timber although in the AFC event at Monduran the fish didn't want to jump! They did on some of the open water captures but most of them were running hard under the surface. The fish just didn't follow the plan!

It would have been a good idea to change the tactic earlier and possibly gone to free-spooling but that's fishing! It was a fun episode to watch though!

Thanks,

Cy & Kerrin Taylor
    Whitsundays QLD

Thanks for the explanation of what was trying to be achieved and why. You guys certainly put them onto the right areas as was evident by the number of hook ups.

Quote Originally Posted by cy_taylor1 View Post
    Hi Chris,

Thanks,

Cy & Kerrin Taylor
    Whitsundays QLD
    Thanks Cy for giving us the insight into the tactics of the day

I hope you or Kerrin didn't take this thread as a personal criticism ...... Its certainly not meant to be...... The footage makes for great discussion based on some recent threads on leaders & fighting techniques - Having video of what goes wrong or can go wrong is just gold......... It helps us learn!

its always good to hear from you guys

cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I'd still like to know why the boys weren't using twisted leaders..........

Any comments Cy? I think there were three or four fish that rubbed through 80lb mono leaders.....

Pete

One point- the majority of leading barra anglers do not use twisted leaders. Single straight mono leaders or light wire for some is the first port of call.
    A barra must be hooked before it can be lost. We could all use heavier, ugly twisteds and reduce chafe offs but that on its own is the major limiting factor that reduces strike rate initially. If you can't hook any fish, you certainly can't be chaffed off. The name of barra angling is to find a happy medium that allows finesse lure presentation on a leader that will allow fairly good chafe guard. In extremes, 80lb mono isn't good enough; neither is 100lb.
    The Taylor guns have excelled in the lure presentation department and have accellerated in fish nous and tactical play. High rod angles are an important roll in some barra captures; much to the opposed thoughts of mainstream media. Low rod angles will not stop a barra that 'needs' to jump. They jump to rid a lure that is stuck inside the mouth or in situations where the lure impedes their mouth from closing neatly, regardless of rod angle in most cases. Also, allowing a large barra to jump tires a fish and allows an angler to keep better control of a fish much higher in the water column. A fish high in the water column is a fish that is now not thinking of cover or dirty snag tactics. Messing with their head is an art. Chafe offs are a sad fact, and learning when to soften the firm approach is also another skill that comes with a kazillion barra captures. The Taylors are highly developed anglers with plenty for us all to learn from.
    Cheers
    Johnny Mitchell