Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

I disagree wheezer....I don't think any conclusions were drawn by anyone. A few experienced barra fishos (not me!) asked some valid questions and others responded. Most were careful not to offend and and a lively discussion ensued.

I do agree that we cannot draw any conclusions from the points raised but it sure is interesting getting the pro-twisted leader views compared to the mono leader views - especially with some very experienced guys in both camps......

Quote Originally Posted by wheezer View Post
    it seems the conclusion was drawn by the airmchair experts that the use of twisties would have changed the outcome...there's far too many variables involved to draw a conclusion like that..as is being seen in this thread there will always be a difference of opinion..
    Hi Andrew .... I dont think any conclusion were drawn when it came to leader types - The question was just asked! ......... but more-so - fighting techniques!
    Unfortunately ....... A conclusion was drawn that twisted leaders would not have improved results! After all they have been dismissed by 3 top guides & the top 2 barra tournament ranked anglers .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Still waiting for a hair braider - daughter's was lent to a friend and is coming back this week! Besides, have been too busy chasing snaps in the bay!

Mondy is still 2.5 weeks away so plenty of time for leader construction.....

BTW when you say 40lb twisties is this using 40lb mono or 20lb mono doubled over for 40lb twistie?

Hi Pete

I twist 40lb Nitline XTS - This has been the best compromise for me

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi Andrew .... I dont think any conclusion were drawn when it came to leader types - The question was just asked! ......... but more-so - fighting techniques!
    Unfortunately ....... A conclusion was drawn that twisted leaders would not have improved results! After all they have been dismissed by 3 top guides & the top 2 barra tournament ranked anglers .

Chris
    Lucky we have you to keep us on track then Chris.

OK ...My view... l live next to Awoonga.....I fish it most days... I care for these fish... with the use of soft plastics some of the fish are deeply hooked and this is where we get the chaffed leaders from... By using Twisted leaders l lose less fish and therefore there are fewer fish that suffer having a lure stuck in its gullet...Do l think Barra are leader sensitive ? no l dont...Do l think it affects the lure action ? no l dont....Do l think colour makes a difference... yes l do... My mate who l think is one of the best barra fisherman in Australia thinks not....We all have opinions..thats fine......You have mine.....

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    Lucky we have you to keep us on track then Chris.
    No mate ..... not here to keep anyone on track - Just ask questions & promote thought / discussion .......... & more importantly- Learn !

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

A question for Cy and Kerrin - It wasn't clear in the show where the leader had worn through. Was it abraided near the lure (ie from the Barra) or further up the leader (ie from rubbing against snags)? More to do with my own interest and trying to learn more than anything else.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi Pete

I twist 40lb Nitline XTS - This has been the best compromise for me

Chris
    Thanks Chris.

I will try with 40lb Black Magic Supple Trace (my favourite leader!)

When we talk lure presentation most individuals think of what they normally do each trip to try to catch fish. What I mean by finesse lure presentation is what is done by the highly tuned in angler that achieves much more than anglers who adopt reasonably straight forward cast, wind, jiggle techniques, especially with soft plastics. When the 'finesse' word is examined and matched to the finely tuned lures that the Taylor's use to win these competitions there becomes a new level that seperates the simple talk on what Harry, Paul, Joe or Jim catches with what technique or rigging system. Taking into consideration that they have a very particular standard of what they call a tuned lure compared to what 99% of anglers use. It's off track to comment on the finnesse of angling until it really is understood on the grounds of higher skill level. In this situation where a 'fine delivery of a lure' is essential in creating the strike in conditions where a massive portion of the field struggle to even land one fish, one must realise that the purpose of single strand leaders is by far a superior delivery tool than a twisted leader with the lure choice for Cy and Kerrin. Subtle differences make all the difference.
    It really is only in competition time or when times are tough when the subtleties stand well clear of 'normal, basic and common techniques.
    In my opinion, if you are fishing with a twisted leader you are supressing your ability to produce better results on the average day on a highly pressured barra dam.
    johnny
    Last edited by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE; 27-01-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Removed a useless sentence.

Hi Johnny,
    I'm curious to know why you believe the single strand leader system is a superior setup?

Cheers. B8.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

Yeah I just spent some tome reading all these posts, Nagg mate you are a man of many words... lol

Cy and Kirren awesome boys, its a tough stage you guys are on and I for one would not like to be on it but you hold yourselves well... I struggled with Motty dont know how you can share a boat but hey each to there own...

I know you fellas are top anglers and no your stuff but why do those who partisapate insist on coaching the hooked up angler??? the T boys seemed quiet compared to Harry Who and some of the others...

Johnny I agree with the finesse side of fishing, my style has changed over the years and from putting a thousand cast into a area with a turn of the reel to now a concentrate variation in retrive and other varibles etc my catches are still turning over... I have to admit I am a twisted leader user but in saying that I am just starting to branch into the plastic style of fishing due to wanting to master all aspect of hard bodies....

I just spent some days with Lyndon and Justin, magic people and talk highly of you mate, so I look forward to meeting you some time on a dam some where..

Cheers Nath

i had fun watching this ep of afc. i thort it was funny how most of the fellers targeted the stick. iv never seen high sticking like that hehehe, it was awsome. and how were them fellas the getting them monster fallows with the surface lures, that had my hart im my mouth, seeing the size of the bow waves. lurn't a bit watching too, like how the tailor boys were doing them sharp rod flicks then getting slamed on the drop, and how the yank used bream tacktics with the free spooling to gain the advantage. it was great. hehe matt could have had that fish it that were on the lecky quicker i recon. i cant wait to watch the next lot. im keen as ever to fish that place now, any one elce keen hehe
    figjam :wink:

Red face Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

Great discussion lads. I live a little too far away from your super lakes down there at the moment, and I've only done very little freshwater barra fishing, I was wondering, those of you that enjoy a bit of saltwater barra chasing. Do you feel the 'potential' loss in presentation from twisted leader would be more or less pertinant in the salt water... wild fish being more or less finnicky or whatever...anyone use it on different species ?

thoughts ??

Btw, this is the absolute first I've heard of twisted leader, I find it interesting.

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind."

Quote Originally Posted by Pridey View Post
    Great discussion lads. I live a little too far away from your super lakes down there at the moment, and I've only done very little freshwater barra fishing, I was wondering, those of you that enjoy a bit of saltwater barra chasing. Do you feel the 'potential' loss in presentation from twisted leader would be more or less pertinant in the salt water... wild fish being more or less finnicky or whatever...anyone use it on different species ?

thoughts ??

Btw, this is the absolute first I've heard of twisted leader, I find it interesting.
    Mate ..... you are a stones throw from Peter Faust .... I dont know about super lake but it certainly has plenty of Super fish

I started my barra fishing in the salt ....... before progressing to the ponds. The tackle developed very quickly to handle big rampaging barra in the timber.
    My tackle for the salt is more like Jack tackle but with a 50lb mono leader ......... the big difference is that I usually cast suspending , diving lures rather than soft plastics which I favor in the dams ............ While I'm still to land a big salty ..... i've found that they usually sprint around , jump a bit before coming to the net ....... so with lower drag pressure & usually a lip or hinge hookup ..... mouth abrasion is less of a concern.

Twisted leaders are used for mouth abrasion or gill raking rather than structure.

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah, I tend to go for between 40 - 60 lb mono leader in the salt too. Sometimes smaller for jack. Why the hardbodies in salt and plastics in fresh ? longer casts in the dams ? more time and ability to mess with the retreve ?

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind."