Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I would hate to see someone hook a horse in open water, set the hooks then crack the freespool.....WOW that would be a spectacular mess!...might try it one day for an experiment.....see what would really happen!!!

cheers Steve
    Giddy up If your backing knots were arsey enough to hold you'd get a free tour of places you've never been Stevo
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

The first time I tried freespooling (line around electric motor shaft) I was amazed that the fish actually stopped dead in it's tracks once the pressure was off.

I'm sure this isn't always the case although was amazing to see the fish stop next to a tree only 3 metres from the boat almost immediately after I took the pressure off.

It's not like the fish was worn out yet, although it had allready used a lot of energy up doing a few tail walks and short runs. As soon as I re-applied pressure after the line was unwrapped (only a few seconds) it took off like a madman again and had enough energy in it yet for several tail-walks. My take on this was that with the pressure off the fish must have thought it was out of imminent danger.

When you do make the call to hit freespool it's heart stopping stuff as it goes again all your (at least all my) instincts!

Steve - can I please watch when you try the open water scenario Make sure you take a spare spool of line to put on after you have to cut all the birds nests out (or tape your thumb up so you don't lose all the skin)

Cheers
    Tony

I've never freespooled a fish ........ just back the drag off ! As I learn more & hook more fish it becomes easier to judge when & how much........ In some ways this goes hand in hand with the choice of leaders & the line class used ......... Along with the terrain / environment fished .......... It just comes with experience I guess.
    At least one thing that I've learnt ....... It usually ends up in tears when you clampdown to avoid a fish stitching you up

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    The first time I tried freespooling....... I was amazed that the fish actually stopped dead in it's tracks once the pressure was off....

Cheers
    Tony
    I had the same experience as Tony. after a fish wrapped around our anchor rope I hit freespool, fish stopped dead. we motored over to the rope, unwound the 2 wraps the fish had but in it, then re-engaged the spool and gave it a few winds to put the hurt back on, the fish immediately headed straight for the rope again so I hit the freespool again and it just stopped (we had been vertically over the fish), I moved the boat so as to get a bit more angle on the fish to "try" to encourage it towards more open water (without a floating anchor rope in it ) and then resumed the fight again where it (again) went on its mental way except this time not towards our rope. . freespooling twice on the one fish and having the same result each time may not mean that is what they will all do. but then again maybe they do.???? I asked the fish just before release... it just stared at me blankly....maybe I wasn't asking the right question I'm no whisperer it turns out.

Cheers Roo.

We watched the program at the Monduran caravan park on the weekend with a few barra fisho's. There was a drag that sounded like my boat trailer winch. But there were also drags that sounded sweetly tuned like like a formula 1 machine.

How many missed this?
    How many spotted this?
    I've only watched this once and i'm sure after the 40th time there will be a good list up and running.

Leader: I used a twisted leader and had a nice fish fight on the weekend, but found the sensations coming back through the rod off-putting. There were distracting vibrations compared to the single strand and good feel of straight 80lb leader. I also had wind on leaders which were ok if they were not too long. I went back to single strand after fighting this barra because the sensation (lack of feel) coming back up the rod felt like shit.

I'll give them another go during a hot bite to see if this was a one off.

Positives: A major fault of many members on the net is that so much good info is just skipped over, time and time again. (Not by everyone) I've been guilty myself, that's for sure.

Another fault is that 2000 (january) people have read this thread but only a few interacted.
    It's like watching reality tv. Not good if we want to learn.

With a combined 5000 plus days spent on freshwater the guys being filmed have thousands of tips for all of us to use and improve our own fishing. If we have the radar on to spot the tips?

Ask yourself honestly.
    How many tips did i spot the first time i watched the show?
    Was i going to make the effort to watch it again?
    If not why?
    Is my goal to improve my barra fishing?

A few smart blokes i know have a list of tips from last years series and have been working on improving their game with those valuable tips in the last 12 months. They also took notes on non competition dvd's to improve their barra fishing.
    How many of us on here did that? Mark honestly.
    If not why?

Another smart bloke on the weekend noticed a lost fish from too much pressure, & it even looked like thumb pressure. The dvd will have to be watched again as it all happened quickly.

Last years series: Another bloke noticed a fishing partner change his position of tools/body to that of a barra angler for better triggering, striking and fish fighting outcomes. He is a smart guy and had an open mind. Hats of to him for not having an ego and adapting and learning from anyone and everyone.

It's probably only fair that if we make comment about these guys on this thread that we post up a couple of positives as well, because there is so much good info just skipped over for the next best thing.

To think or not to think? The next best thing is easy to predict. Think about what will be released this year around mid year. It's easy as they prey on dumb people skipping over good info. They will be lures and plastics that we can touch and feel and buy. Not a lot of thinking info is released. And the stuff that is gets skipped over a lot.

Info like that AFC show on the weekend which was packed with tips & a few other non competition dvd's and presentations getting around that are not used enough in my opinion.

Lets see. Did you take detailed notes of the areas that were fished?
    What stood out as a fishy area and why?
    What areas looked less than fishy and why?

Wind direction at the time of fishing or lack of?

Features of the area or lack of?

Sun, Cloud, Current, Layout and temps?

Water quality or lack of?

Weed, Bait, Birdlife, animal life or lack of?

Positioning of the boats? Casting angles?

Position: Body position, rod angles, hand position, strike position, rod techniques, plastics and lures used (that were shown).? Keep a lateral mind for what wasn't shown as they had limited time to make the show and sponsored products would have to get the first run on tv as they spent a lot of coin to get there. Without the sponsors the show wouldn't be on.

Did you notice some teams work better than others? Ask yourself why, then apply it to your own fishing?

Who had a outstanding fish finding & triggering ability? Why? Add up all the points you think had a bearing on fish triggering ability?

We can even learn from guys that did it hard or didn't catch fish.
    What were the differences in approaches?

Did they attract fish but not hook them?
    It might have been a hard day and attracting fish might have been very hard. Maybe there were tips there for us to use as well, not from those that just caught fish. Often trips where we don't catch fish force us to think a lot more.

What tips did you get from those that did it hard or caught no fish?
    Did you get these tips the first time you watched it?
    Did you know the tips were there before i put the questions/observations up on the net? If not why?

Food For Thought: When thinking about all this consider this. Every few hours the Taylors trigger and usually catch barra on lakes. So do guides, they train clients to catch fish in 1-2-3-4-5-6 hours in daylight hours. Some of these clients have never fished or fished for barra before. Tallies have been more than 20 fish in daytime hours, and double figure metre barra in winter.

Do you do this on your trips at percentages above 80-90%?
    In less than 5-6 hour sessions?

In all weather all year round?

Mark yourself harshly and honestly. I am the first to put my hand up and say " I don't do that well enough". I need to improve and have sited the skipping of good info as a major weekness. There are many more.

Now look at a few of these guys on tv, knowing that a few definately consistantly catch fish. Do most of us do that? (I'm not even close).

How many people have fish per hour ratio's of good guides and good barra fisho's? For me this is the exciting part, we can all learn more if we have the radar on and mark ourself honestly. We can learn from each other.

I fear all these guys hard work is being overlooked by the majority. When i say guys i mean people on and off TV. Even quiet achievers.

Helping each other to get better: Let's also use this thread to learn a few things. If we didn't have anything to learn that means we would have better fish finding, triggering and catching ability that Mitchell/Harro & the Taylors to name a few. I don't think this is the case for many of us.

The learning list is much bigger but i tried to keep this thread short and let others do some thinking & observing.

People can still post stuff they didn't like etc, but lets also take the time to slow down and do a bit of learning. Sound like a good idea?

I hope to see you on a barra dam one day for a bit of chilled out fishing, camping & learning.

Cheers Lyndon.

Thanks for that Lyndon ...... Thoughtful as Always

Here is one glaringly obvious observation from the AFC both this year & last!

Cy & Kerrin need each other !! ...... They are a team!

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Another observation was that the guy fishing with Jas had no input at all. Royter and Carl didnt even mention his name, poor bugger.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thanks for that Lyndon ...... Thoughtful as Always

Here is one glaringly obvious observation from the AFC both this year & last!

Cy & Kerrin need each other !! ...... They are a team!

Chris
    Doesn't look very obvious to me....

Series 5

Round 5 (Awoonga)
    1. Cy Taylor
    2. Kerrin Taylor

Round 6 (Teemburra)
    2. Cy Taylor
    3. Kerrin Taylor

Series 6

Can't remember the exact results and they seemed to trigger a lot of fish in a tough bite.

Guess my radar might be slightly out...

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    Doesn't look very obvious to me....

Series 5

Round 5 (Awoonga)
    1. Cy Taylor
    2. Kerrin Taylor

Round 6 (Teemburra)
    2. Cy Taylor
    3. Kerrin Taylor

Series 6

Can't remember the exact results and they seemed to trigger a lot of fish in a tough bite.

Guess my radar might be slightly out...
    Get them together & they would probably go close to 5/5 each day ........ Results came a lot tougher with their respective partners -
    I'm not being nasty ....... but they feed off each other & seem to be in sync when you watch them on the water together ............. That didn't come through on the AFC

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Just a guess but I'm sure fishing with #1 on the water baby and Cy maybe a little different....

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    Just a guess but I'm sure fishing with #1 on the water baby and Cy maybe a little different....
    That would be tough for anyone ...... baby
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

In Sync - no shit - they are part of triplets u clown.

As Harro says " The barra are lucky their sister doesn't fish". LOL just having a laugh here chris ok i couldn't resist that line to lighten things up ok.

Cheers Lyndon..

Its funny stuff Lyndon I think we made a healthy observation at the kitchen as we watched, picking the water, and the variables that go with it... and I am sure those in the "smashed em boats" did a lot more seaching aswell... Its a good thing as I watch these shows to try and watch em with a few fishos who share the same passion you will pick up alot more....

Anyhow I enjoys seeing fishing on the TV it just baits me up to go fishing and there's no harm in that!

Cheers Nath

Just got around to reading this. Assume the show you’re talking about was on Fox or local TV?

Some thoughts of my own based on what has been posted prior.

Twisted leaders? Never used them, never even seen one but I know some like them others don’t and others are nonplussed by them. Whatever works best for the individual I guess.

Cy’s mention of trying to keep the fish in the air is a good tactic, it buggers them quicker and when what’s below the water is not that flash you want them away from it. I’ve lost heaps more fish to timber than fish to abraded line. Having said that, I’ve not had many lures end up far enough down the gob to worry about abrasion. On jumping I like to encourage my fish to jump if the connection seems secure, just to watch, no other reason.

Interesting about wire coming back as an alternative leader material.

On free spooling - a good tactic as mentioned but don’t think that it’s not possible to predetermine what the fish will do. We free spool once a fish hits the timber as a matter of course in the estuary where the snags that slump into the water are mainly horizontal. You can pick your way though the mess to chase the fish. At least in these situations the fish hit the snags at top speed and goes right through and out the other side. I believe the tactic is to put as much interference between them and the threat as possible and maintain the advantage of clean water to run again if necessary. A barra is well designed in shape and protection to do this. Once we’re through the snag it’s just a matter of coming tight on the fish again and renewing acquaintances. BTW we don’t do that in the rivers where snags are mostly large upper storey trees that lay vertical, when a fish gets into one of those it’s usually bye bye.

River fish less aware of their environment? Maybe but it’d take a lot of convincing me of that with barra big and small being considered tucker for sharks ‘n’ crocs ‘n’ cod ‘n’ birds ‘n’ people ‘n’ other barra etc. The only fish I find unaware of their environment are the ‘easy to catch’ small ones that haven’t learnt. Their future is a dim one, nature is a much harsher teacher than me.

Putting the brakes on a fish is a good tactic, it’s just when to do it. A fish full of momentum is always going to be hard to pull up, clamping down then wont amount to too much, except perhaps a lost fish. Upping the ante once the fish starts to lose momentum will gain you a few metres of grace. Doing it before a fish gains that momentum will save you even more metres. Get it in the air as well and you can just about hold a fish on a tether while it gives you a shower.

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    In Sync - no shit - they are part of triplets u clown.

As Harro says " The barra are lucky their sister doesn't fish". LOL just having a laugh here chris ok i couldn't resist that line to lighten things up ok.

Cheers Lyndon..
    I'll need to find a good makeup artist when I get to Brisbane ...... ya know of any
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO