Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 147
  1. #106

    Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    Dick, I look at your pics and can only shake my head in amazement, the enviroment you fish for barra in is so far removed from where I fish, its hard to believe we both are chasing the same fish.



  2. #107

    Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Dick, I look at your pics and can only shake my head in amazement, the enviroment you fish for barra in is so far removed from where I fish, its hard to believe we both are chasing the same fish.
    If you compare two extremes such as the scene in the pic I posted and the one in your avatar you'd be right but I'd suggest there's environments local to us both that when compared would look very similar. The Ord below the dam for example has I believe taken on some aspects of an impoundment as it's flooded to above the old channel line and the water level for the most doesn't vary. Your rivers in QLD would be much the same as ours as well.

  3. #108

    Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    This may seem really out of the square but here goes....

    Seems to me that SP's by there very nature get hooked deeper as they feel more "realistic" and stay in that bucket mouth longer. Hence the need for stronger leader types.
    HB's on the other hand well lets face it thats not going to feel like a baitfish anytime soon....and as such are "spat" before/during the hook set and normally end up pinned in the corner of the mouth.

    Now im not talking with ANY experience on Barra at all yet to land one infact but i have caught more than my fair share of sothern fish and you can take alot in simply by reading the forums and talking to other anglers about diffrent speices.

    Now When you consider the size that the Barra in the lakes are the SP's being used are tiny in comparison. A 1m Barra would have no worries chewing down on a 40cm+ sized baitfish.
    Perhaps rather than increasing our leaders strengths making up twisted leader, using wire etc maybe we need to be looking at larger SP's???

    I know there are some Off-shore trolling placcies in the 200-250mm size range. Maybe this could be somehow adapted to suit casting for Barra?

    Maybe this is something some of the locals could play with and see where the hooks start sticking?

    Anyway enough rambling food for thought anyway...


    Joe

  4. #109

    Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    Interesting Joe,

    6 inch plastics are really common on barra dams, numerous people throw 7 inch flick baits as well. In my experience, fish will commit to the larger plastics when they are active however in a tough bite they don't fully commit to the bait and are difficult to hook. Whilst I am only a novice in sp fishing for barra I can see the merits for smaller plastics, just for the better hook coverage and overall bait profile.

    However that does raise the question, a larger plastic will throw out more vibration and profile a larger shape therefore would it not be a better searching tool??? I am currently playing around with some of the smaller plastics to try to increase the amount of action and, in my thoughts/hopes/wishes, given the better hook coverage, increase the amount of hookups. However just with simple maths it is impossible for a smaller plastic to push the same amount of water as a larger bait due to surface area. It will be interesting to see what some of the others have to say.

    What I would be really keen to hear is whether people have been using a smaller bait and switched to a larger profile for no change in result.

    Scott
    Last edited by Plasticin; 01-02-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: ....

  5. #110

    Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    Interesting Joe,

    6 inch plastics are really common on barra dams, numerous people throw 7 inch flick baits as well. In my experience, fish will commit to the larger plastics when they are active however in a tough bite they don't fully commit to the bait and are difficult to hook. Whilst I am only a novice in sp fishing for barra I can see the merits for smaller plastics, just for the better hook coverage and overall bait profile.

    However that does raise the question, a larger plastic will throw out more vibration and profile a larger shape therefore would it not be a better searching tool??? I am currently playing around with some of the smaller plastics to try to increase the amount of action and, in my thoughts/hopes/wishes, given the better hook coverage, increase the amount of hookups. However just with simple maths it is impossible for a smaller plastic to push the same amount of water as a larger bait due to surface area. It will be interesting to see what some of the others have to say.

    What I would be really keen to hear is whether people have been using a smaller bait and switched to a larger profile for no change in result.

    Scott

    Scott,
    Last weekend we threw 4 inch hollow bellies in conjuntion with 110mm squidgies.[ No larger ones were on board] We did not register a hit on the hollow bodies, yet caught several on the 110mm squidgies-consequently the hollow bellies werent used! My theory was that larger bonies were in the area, and hitting the larger offerings!
    Ben

  6. #111

    Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    I mixed and matched between 110 and 130, not a touch on the 130's



  7. #112

    Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    Quote Originally Posted by eotbmg View Post
    Scott,
    Last weekend we threw 4 inch hollow bellies in conjuntion with 110mm squidgies.[ No larger ones were on board] We did not register a hit on the hollow bodies, yet caught several on the 110mm squidgies-consequently the hollow bellies werent used! My theory was that larger bonies were in the area, and hitting the larger offerings!
    Ben
    Or is that because the fish weren't that active and needed more vibration to trigger a strike...

    Had you modified the squidgies at all Ben?

    Lyndon threw a 6' shadalicious and had quite a few hits, but no positive hook ups, I'm blaming angling ability

    I threw a 4' hb as well for no interest but a 4' suspending storm drew some attention. We were theorising that because the shad "sat in their face for longer" then maybe that could trigger interest.

    You also threw B52's as well did you not Ben? Did you throw the "big" version?

    Interesting what you said Brian, but you hooked fish on a 6' hollowbelly???

    There isn't really a right answer is there, I suppose but it is interesting to talk about it. And just on a side note, Lyndon's 4' plastic was what drew the majority of our hook ups.

    Overall perhaps the most pleasing thing is that we were in areas where there were fish, whether active or not. This means that you have the confidence to experiment which is what it is all about.

  8. #113

    Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    Scotty, the hollows worked for me, and I would have stuck with them, but I only had 3 on board, and they arent the most durable of SP's!
    Ive taken to the squidgies with the scissors, as Im know most do, the other thing I tried was removing the slick rig jig head, and replacing it with a 1/4 oz 5/0 nitro, but threaded thru the nose like a conventional set up, rather than buried in the body like the store brought version, if that makes sense? I dunno, it seems to shift the weight out of the head and forward a little more, maybe taking away some of the "stiffness" associated with haveing a piece of lead inside the SP?
    Like you say, very interesting stuff!



  9. #114

    Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    [quote=Plasticin;963997]

    Interesting what you said Brian, but you hooked fish on a 6' hollowbelly???

    quote]


    Sorry mate, should have been clearer, the 110 and 130's were squidgies, the bigger hollows worked, but I put that down to a good action at a slower retrieve, hence in the fish's face longer.



  10. #115

    Thumbs up Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    IMHO There is a lot to be said for smacking the lure in the fishes face.

    I think regardless of what it is, sometimes they bite everything other times nothing but I think if it is in their face they will have a go and there is not alot we can do about that other than find the right spot and give 'em heaps.

    But it is all good fun theorising and tinkering, we love it almost as much as fishing (ALMOST) and we can talk for hours on it.


    Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

  11. #116

    Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    Sounds good mate, noticed that the taylor's do that as well, jighead rigging a slick rig. Haven't tried it yet, but I can understand what you are saying. Whilst the slick rigs aren't the greatest plastic out there, they are quite easy to modify.

    Don't worry I was following you re squidgies just interesting they were hitting 6' hb's as well as the smaller squidgy.

  12. #117

    Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    This sure makes interesting reading ... so l just thought that l would add a comment or two ! Monduran one Million Barra....Large waterway...Uneducated Fish...These fish have a Abundant food source...At least five different types of food that are not found in Awoonga ....A smorgasboard of delights so lets compare this to us ....The human....Whats on the menu today ? pie same as yesterday.... Pie....same as tomorrow... if its the only food that you can get fine you wont starve....But if l said today you have a choice ? would you have that pie ? One day this lure works... Tomorrow... same lure ...nothing....Try something bigger/Smaller.. and you get results.....The best thing that l ever did was get a tank barra...Everyday you learn...Now l can hear you saying these are only fish ! They eat what swims past... wrong...The food swims around with my barra...untill the dinner bell rings then you best lookout...And because there are different types of food that live in the tank he has a selection to choose from... Does he chase everything and eat the lot ? nope...Just what he requires....But there is a slant to this... if you offer him a treat that just sits in his space or in his face its goooonnee ...just like a Suspending lure... So there are ways and means to getting a reaction...... In a couple of years monduran barra will wise up they will become harder to catch ...you the angler will have to do the same or go home with that donut...

  13. #118

    Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    Or is that because the fish weren't that active and needed more vibration to trigger a strike...

    Had you modified the squidgies at all Ben?

    Lyndon threw a 6' shadalicious and had quite a few hits, but no positive hook ups, I'm blaming angling ability

    I threw a 4' hb as well for no interest but a 4' suspending storm drew some attention. We were theorising that because the shad "sat in their face for longer" then maybe that could trigger interest.

    You also threw B52's as well did you not Ben? Did you throw the "big" version?

    Interesting what you said Brian, but you hooked fish on a 6' hollowbelly???

    There isn't really a right answer is there, I suppose but it is interesting to talk about it. And just on a side note, Lyndon's 4' plastic was what drew the majority of our hook ups.

    Overall perhaps the most pleasing thing is that we were in areas where there were fish, whether active or not. This means that you have the confidence to experiment which is what it is all about.

    Yes Scotty I modify my Squidgies. Boiled and have the tail wrist cut. Nav got a fish on a 4inch suspending storm, first or second cast after flogging a squidgy and B52[ which also suspends with terminal adjustments]. What i also noticed was it was a longer cast than all his others. Interesting!!!!!
    Lee scored a fish on a big B 52 also with changed trebles to make it suspend.
    Ben

  14. #119

    Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    This sure makes interesting reading ... so l just thought that l would add a comment or two ! Monduran one Million Barra....Large waterway...Uneducated Fish...These fish have a Abundant food source...At least five different types of food that are not found in Awoonga ....A smorgasboard of delights so lets compare this to us ....The human....Whats on the menu today ? pie same as yesterday.... Pie....same as tomorrow... if its the only food that you can get fine you wont starve....But if l said today you have a choice ? would you have that pie ? One day this lure works... Tomorrow... same lure ...nothing....Try something bigger/Smaller.. and you get results.....The best thing that l ever did was get a tank barra...Everyday you learn...Now l can hear you saying these are only fish ! They eat what swims past... wrong...The food swims around with my barra...untill the dinner bell rings then you best lookout...And because there are different types of food that live in the tank he has a selection to choose from... Does he chase everything and eat the lot ? nope...Just what he requires....But there is a slant to this... if you offer him a treat that just sits in his space or in his face its goooonnee ...just like a Suspending lure... So there are ways and means to getting a reaction...... In a couple of years monduran barra will wise up they will become harder to catch ...you the angler will have to do the same or go home with that donut...

    Like being offered a jelly bean after youve eaten a roast dinner mate?



  15. #120

    Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

    Just to throw another variation into the mix(and it was left behind this trip,bloody andy) I got a nice fish on spin gear last yearon a 150 squidgy fish rigged on a 6/0 resin head. Sinks nice n slow and the hook seems quite strong,not sure what hook they use in these as they are not the same as the slick rig hooks but it drifts down quite well.Just something else to try.Works for me..when they are in the boat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us