Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

Re: AFC 2008 Monduran round - Leaders

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I'll need to find a good makeup artist when I get to Brisbane ...... ya know of any
    No but i reckon you could find one or 2 at the Mardi Gra down your way

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    No but i reckon you could find one or 2 at the Mardi Gra down your way
    Did they fly down ?
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Did they fly down ?
    Yes, they had return flights from Sydney

Did anyone notice what depth in the water column had the most success (strikes)in the AFC Monduran round that was on TV on the weekend? Maybe you guys that have watched it a few times can help out.

Cheers Lyndon.

LMAO you guys are a worry!

Lyndon - (or is it Link?) at least you know how to play poker

Re your question re the water column I think it was mostly high up in the first few feet, although I only watched it once so reserve the right to change my mind!

One thing I remember is that when they showed the "Number one in your hearts team" (guess who) the lures I could see were shallow runners

I hope to watch it plus Johnnys DVD a few more times this weekend whilst supping on a cold beer (can't go fishing so might as well watch someone else do it!)

Cheers
    Tony

that sounds like me too tony i got no chchocie but to rest as i had my wisdom teeth removed on tuesday and lets just say i look like a chipmunk at the moment face is all swollen so i cant do anything to irrate it i cant even work on my boat to finish it off the way its going im may be ready just in time for borumba bash
    Sounds like i really need to see the mondy round once it turns up(thanks to tony m) sounds like a lot of errors made on the part of good anglers

Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    that sounds like me too tony i got no chchocie but to rest as i had my wisdom teeth removed on tuesday and lets just say i look like a chipmunk at the moment face is all swollen so i cant do anything to irrate it i cant even work on my boat to finish it off the way its going im may be ready just in time for borumba bash
    Sounds like i really need to see the mondy round once it turns up(thanks to tony m) sounds like a lot of errors made on the part of good anglers
    boat looks tops simon , reckon you will be ok come march. ..what do you mean you look like a chipmonk now ,you did before the op. ..ha ha ...
    get well mate , that new boat needs some fishy love....

talk soon deano....
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Not so sure bout errrors nipsta,just a lotta the fish were better on the day.you could have filmed a movie to rival "australia" last weekend on my jumpoffs and maybe i did something wrong,maybe not.To me its just fishing,some days/nights yoou just cant stay connected to fish no matter what beer ur drinking.For some reason the last couple months the fish just seem to jump. i love it,but i guess if u were chasin your first,it may suck. Interestingly the saltys seem to be acrobic too at the moment

Feelin your pain Chewy, Ive found the jump off thing has been a real stuggle to contend with lately, and Im scratching my head as to why. Got a few theories, but only time spent fishing will prove or disprove them!

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    boat looks tops simon , reckon you will be ok come march. ..what do you mean you look like a chipmonk now ,you did before the op. ..ha ha ...
    get well mate , that new boat needs some fishy love....

talk soon deano....
    cheers deano yeah i like it i was too abit before but 5 times worse now oh well the pian wil be worth it
    And yeah cant wait till i get her back on the water good to see if i got things setup right this time i still got the life jacket issue deciding where to fit them i though in the floor comaprtment but they will get wet there i just gunner have to use the front compartment and yeah hope that works
    ok catch ya soon

Brian, i just drink beer and attack em in the morning..tomorrow is always a different day..

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    Brian, i just drink beer and attack em in the morning..tomorrow is always a different day..
    attack what in the mornin, the barra, or the beers mate????

I didnt see the show, was out fishin, so will wait for it to hit the DVD stand, or pop up on youtube before I can form an opinion, but in saying that, some good stuff has been kicked around here.

Hi guys n gals. While were kickin things around .What about using longer softer rods when using plastics? Would that help lessen the abrasive effects on the leader wether single strand or twisted ? I know u wont have the same control over the fish but with all the talk of free spooling etc maybe its an option?Over 2 u guys cheers les

Quote Originally Posted by STIFFWORM View Post
    Hi guys n gals. While were kickin things around .What about using longer softer rods when using plastics? Would that help lessen the abrasive effects on the leader wether single strand or twisted ? I know u wont have the same control over the fish but with all the talk of free spooling etc maybe its an option?Over 2 u guys cheers les
    Hi Les

Most of my baitcaster outfits for Barra are 5'6 but fishing plastics I use either a 6'6 Loomis MBR783 or a Nitro Magbut 7'6 to provide a bit more give (plus you get longer casts) however there are still times when I feel freespool is the way to go.

e.g. the whippier rod will not lessen the effect of the line/leader being wrapped around a tree while a barra is headed off against the force of any great amount of drag

Cheers
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by STIFFWORM View Post
    Hi Les

I'm a huge fan of the longer rod for barra ........ & particularly find the glass blends with a slightly slower action .. great. Most of my rods are in that 6'10" area.
    Originally I went down that path for fishing plastics / point casting ........ but you get some other advantages too .......... like working a fish around obstructions ( motor legs , leccys & timber)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

My smallest rod is 1.7m and the longest is 2.2, a big difference between the two but that difference is more pronounced by the type of reels mounted. The little rod has a ABU 6500 on it and the larger a big old Penn 650 (yes I know I'm a caveman). My point being is the line retrieved in one handle turn is as significant as the size of the rods (40cm to the abu and 90cm to the Penn, current line capacity). Longer rod plus more line on quicker = good control

Once again with respect to abrasion, as I mainly use hard bodied lures it's not much of an issue. However as for control the longer rod is a huge bonus fishing from the shore (river) when there's a strong current and rocky outcrops to deal with (see attached pic as an example). Even holding a fish laterally off a weed bed I'm anchored to is best done with the long rod. The short rod I tend to use more in the esturary, whilst it hasn't the reach of the long one for geting down to unhook the line off lateral branches it makes up for it by being a lot stiffer. Combined with no stretch braid when violence is called for those small mangrove branches usually end up snapping.