Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Bream

New to Bream

Hi all, just wondering on a good recipe for bream. I have never tried cooking fish but with a little help I could have a shot at it. Also please don't make it too hard

Tom

Re: New to Bream

Simple:
    Works for my dad and I anyway, just fillet it, and do it up in a nice light beer batter.

TASTES AMAZING!
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

Beer batter is good, so is just a light covering in flour and lightly frying in olive oil.

Or you could wrap each fillet up in a parcel of alfoil, spray a bit of oil on the foil to stop it sticking, bung in a bit of lemon or lime and some 'erbs then steam it for a few minutes in one of those double-sided sandwich presses. I used to do this at work with snapper fillets and was the envy of nearly everyone while having fresh fish for dinner at work!
    simon

The ocean is the ultimate solution - Frank Zappa

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/

IMO a Bream under 30cm is not worth the effort filleting or keeping, the yield is small once it is boned.
    If you are keen, then head off, scale and gut, shallow fry like Simon has said

Thanks guys, I'll try on a larger model around 30cm's

TOm

Gill, Gut,Scale,wrap in flour and straight in a frypan full of nice hot oil till cooked n skin nice n crispy or top of a teflon sheet on a barbi plate..
    Some Olive Oil, GroundOregano Leaves (Dried offcourse n Lemon juice stirred till nearly white(emulsified) and use as a sauce to pour over your fish whjen ready to chew or whilst cooking...

Thanks Volvo, I will have to try this method this weekend after I go chasing the bream

Tom

Don't you release all your fish tailorboi99??? Just joking!
    Scale it, gut it, wrap it up in tinfoil with some salt & pepper and add a few herbs and lemon. Just barbecue it for 5 mins each side.
    Cheers!

Thanks Breamoholic, I actually do release all my fish unless they are bait. Just thought I might try bream once in a while.

Tom

hey Tailorboi, add the lemon after you have cooked it in alfoil, you will find that the acids in the lemon eat away the chemical compounds of the tinfoil.... up to you.

Hey Tom, are U going to sell fish n chips at your boat ramp shop? It'd be a big sella I reckon.

Ahah Didley, I won't go that far .

Thanks fellas', Tom

Just remember, A bream that is a good eating size could be 15-30years old, try to to take toomany guys!
    Cheers, Bandit

Tracker Avalanche V18 DC - 175 EFI Mercury OptiMax
    Quintrex 475 TopEnder - 60 EFI Yamaha 4 Stroke

also remember that there is thousands of Bream around, so taking a couple for a feed is fine (well I reckon) bets option, scale, fillet and cut the centre bone out, dust in flour, hot oil and cooked for a jiffy, some simple salad and a few chips and your done, easy as pie and taste great!

He asked for a recipe,not bag limit advice BBandit.
    Scale,gut then add halved baby tomatoes,chopped onion and chopped capsicum into the gut cavity.Wrap in lightly greased alfoil-onto the BBQ 3mins each side.
    Tastes a treat-enjoy