Thread: transducer selection chirp and broud band

transducer selection chirp and broud band

hey all , I have an evo2 12 inch with a tm 150 , cant get good read at any speed and the bloody thing pops up when I go out side .
    so I'm looking at a through hull (cut a hole in the boat dear Lisa)
    I have an older Caribbean reef runner 20.6 feet
    I am also looking at adding a s2009 sounder to the fray.
    so this needs to be considered in my selection !
    at the moment I fish all of Morton bay from peel to the cape( depth wise )
    I also go outside when the weather is good and fish up to150 meters at this stage , lots more in the bay . would the 150 through hull be ok or should I go up to the b 75???
    also with the tm 150 even though it says from 95 to 155 kHz it operates on 83 , and this allows the simrad to also operate the down scan and side scan together with the sounder ? can I also do this with the b75?
    appreciate some help. the more I look the more confused I am

Re: transducer selection chirp and broud band

Your problem isnt the tranny, its the placement or installation

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Many guys will scream and shout but rather than cut a hole in your hull, just put a BIG circle of waterproof silicone close to the centreline and down towards the back but not where it will detect bubbles.

Get the angle right, gently lower the tranducer into the goo, do your best to get any air bubbles out, prop it up til it dries and yer dun.

Works well on tin and even glass if not too thick. I was blasting through 20 mm fibreglass and the worst may be having to crank up your GAIN a bit.

I owned a shop in Manly were we installed this sort of stuff and never had a comeback!

if it doesn't work you can always build a wet-box full of glycerine and that is good as you can get!

Quite a few reports on THT about the Tm150 and the 2 issues that you have reported.

First, most people over there are putting some screws into, or sika on, the bracket to prevent it kicking up all the time.

second, they do say that it is a finnicky transducer to set to the right position to show good pics at speed. Since it is kicking up for you all the time, it may be set a bit too deep and waterpressure causing it to kick up.

Try it with the lower edge just 4-5mm below the line of the hull - use a straight edge to set it and test again, with small adjustments up or down, and with some trial and error you should get it to a position where it performs properly.

Good luck, let us know.

AND by the way, DO NOT shoot a CHIRP transducer thru the hull as suggested in the previous post. It might work well with normal transducers but not with CHIRP.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....