Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moreton Bay EPA Zones -GPS marks

Re: Moreton Bay EPA Zones -GPS marks

Hi ,Honda alot of work went into this and I have to thank you for it,May have taken me a while to get it working but its all sorted now,was a bit disappointing to find out how many of my marks got swallowed up though.
    Cheers Snas
    THOUGHT OF THE DAY

Live life like a dog,If you cant eat it or hump it ,
    pee on it and walk away.

BillB,

I wrote a program to search through the pdf document so, there can be no typo's however, the file as provided by the epa, is somewhat dodgey as some information on lines of the file only contain a single reference so not that easy to solve with program logic.

As I said the data is provided as best I could get so will be up to yourselves to keep an eye out for anomolies. The vast majority of it seems to be Ok. I did do some random checks, so if you spot something make sure you let others know.

snasman,

Did you merge the data into your existing file?? if you merged it you should have lost anything unless you have run out of storage capacity on your device, i.e how many marks you can save, My garmin will hold around 4000 marks.

Regards
    HOnda

I think he means some of his favourite fishing marks have been swallowed up by the New Zones.

Quote Originally Posted by stufishing View Post
    I think he means some of his favourite fishing marks have been swallowed up by the New Zones.
    Yep that is correct ,
    Honda the trouble I had was changing it from a doc file to the gps data file(windows 2000) it is now ,to be completely honest id played with it for a day and was about to go see my neighbor (the computer tech)for help when I stumbled upon an icon on my desktop that worked so I am of no help to anyone as I really dont know what I did to convert it ,from there I have removed all of the yellow zones and exrta marks and just left the mnp marks, that brought it down from 702 marks to 202 as my gps is a hand held model it only takes up to 500 points in total over the next few days I will play conect the dots via mapsource and transfer them to my gps as routes but I think this may also use up to much memory,only time will tell. Thanks
    THOUGHT OF THE DAY

Live life like a dog,If you cant eat it or hump it ,
    pee on it and walk away.

One of the problems with the zone definitions ( as I have mentioned before). Is that there is a lot of lazyness on the part of those who draft the definitions for the zones.

In the currently revewed discriptions there are frequent " and to the marine park boundry" and similar phrases.

There are also a few " and to the 3m contour" and " to the mangrove tree line" type references that are a but difficult to resolve both as co ordinates and on the ground/water.

To get the remainder of the enclosed box for " to the marine park boundry" cases you have to go to to original act and then convert from the old datum they are written in.

On top of that there are a number of points that are described and corners of lot numbers, on non marine mapping resources.

So there will be some points that will be quite hard to resolve.

Having this stuff entered into your nav system is an inportant and helpfull thing, but quite a lot of the boundries will be difficult to resovle as co ordinates and some of the boundries will be dynamic changing with movement of sand and growth of marine plants such as mangroves.

I do not thing anybody will be able to produce a complete set of points that will be bang on.
    Some though you will have no hope of knowing where the boundries are without a GPS and it will be even harder without some sort of mapping resource such as provided here.

Personaly I do not beleive the authorities expect us to be fishing right up to the boundries and I think we can expect that sort of attitude from the enforcers.
    The practicality of this view I think will vary considerably.

I do think if we are going to be "pushing the boundries we realy need to do our homework and depending only on GPS mapping will not be wise.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

hey honda thats great but WOW HOW DAUNTING IS THAT ALL. WHEN YOU LOOKA TALL THOSE WAYPOINTS , DOESN'T LEAVE MUCH FOR FISHING POINTS DOES IT ..
    IT'S JUST TO HARD THE ONLY CHANCE IS IF NAVIONICS BRINGS OUT A CARD WITH ALL THE SHADED AREAS FOR GREEN ZONES. OTHERWISE I'M OUT
    PS AND I WANT TO DO THE WRIGHT THING BUT HEY FISHING SUPPOSED TO BE RELAXING NOT SCARED SHITLESS WONDERING WEATHER YOU DRIFTING OR TROLLING THROUGH THE WRONG AREA .
    AND TO MAKE ALL THAT WORSE NOW ALL THE SIZES AND BAG LIMITS HAVE CHANGED YET AGAIN????
    BAG AND SIZE LIMITS YES
    EPA ZONES NO

Hi Honda
    Which file do I use for a Navman C Map Nt which I have a PC Planner? Is it just a cut and paste thing?

seastorm,

Try this and let me know, I dont have pcplanner so cant test.

Ok this one I had to compress the file to get around the 100k limit, so ,

1. save the file the to your computer (right click, file save as);
    2. Rename the file, (right click on the filename and select rename); so it should read MBay_EPA_Zones_pcplanner.zip.
    3. Use winzip or winrar to extract the file; MBay_EPA_Zones_pcplanner.xml
    4. Import the file into pcplanner.
    Let me know how you go..

Regards
    Honda

honda i have a navplanner and a lowrance 7200 gps. now i am quite ignorent when it coms to computer jargon but as a necesity need to learn
    the card reader is missing and i need to get a new one . and you seem to be very knolagable in these area's so is the nav planner the easiest to use for me or would you recomend another , seeing i have to spend 120 od dollars getting a new card reader.
    also have found qld navionics not to be forth coming with help for simple people like me.
    actually learnt more from good people like yourself on this forum
    are you in the business as i would gladly pay to have somone over my sholder at times.....thank you.....pat

G'day

Can I confirm that the points will just upload correctly into mapsource without any modification? ie... datums?

I've been doing this and then creating a route from point to point of the different zones, dot to dot with the given areas. The zones at amity especially over near amity at wallum pool and the amity banks seem to be out a bit, even when laid over google earth.

Am I missing something?

Dave

G'day

Does anyone know where I can use the same method for the gbrmp zones up and around the whitsundays?

Dave

Dave,
    As I said in a previous post to Hondo there seems to be some errors in his file. You will notice that MNP19 is missing from his file but the first listing for MNP20 (Wanga Wallen) is actually points from this zone. The first point in MNP18 (Amity Banks East) also seems to be an error. If you start entering with the second point it seems to work. I believe that before anyone downloads Green Zones of interest from Hondo's file into their GPS they should double check the points against the original EPA ones.
    Cheers,
    BillB

Dave,

yep, there are a couple of dodgey ones, its the way in which the epa have written the boundaries, it would take too much time to recode the app to fix abd there are too many for me to check myself.

Also be aware that mapsource and navionics have some mistakes in their maps as well, I.e the the land that you drive your boat across to go through the south passage bar northern channel.

So the marks are provided as is, the majority are good, if you think you have a sus one then do it manually or check them manually, dont forget to let everyone else know.

Regards
    Honda

G'day

Yeah, have been cross referencing them with google earth.

So far I've found MNP 18 (Amity Banks) a bit dodgy

Dave

Remember for accuracy google earth is a quite a bit dodgy......it is a nice picture but that is about it.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.