Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wind on leaders for barra

Wind on leaders for barra

Last nite I sat down to make up some wind on leaders for next trip to awoonga..
    Only recently been shown how to construct these and made up one batch of 60lb that have turned out perfectly.
    I have only fished for barra at monduran once before and used twisted leaders there,so I was hoping to get some insight in what you guys have been using at awoonga....Should I carry more 80lb setups instead of 60lb???
    At the moment I am using black pete dacron-50lb,Sunline flurocarbon 60lb...

Anyone had experiences with this brand of fluoro in the 60 and 80lb strength on
    barra??is it good...
    Thanks

Re: Wind on leaders for barra

Alphas ...... If you are going to fish plastics ...... ditch the 60lb & go 80lb - way too many fish lost ....... deep hooked & worn leaders
    These days we make up 40lb twisted leaders which are attached via a loop to loop connection .......... just sensational!!!!Attachment 40962

As for windons ..... they need to be well constructed because with the casting .... you can have them come apart

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Wind-ons are still a tad chunky to pass through runners when casting.
    By the time you feed the mono leader up the dacron,whip it and glue it.. that area becomes chunky.

Nagg is on the money....The twisted leaders are much better and the connection to double in your braid is very small.
    Its the only system I use when throwing poppers at GT's also.
    I now also use them spinning from the rocks.

Pete

Do yourself a favor get onto ebay buy a girls hairbraider... then twist away just latley l have been using 20lb... thats two strands of ten lb with no problems...When the fishing is tough l go down in leader size.... Most of the time its 30lb twisted

Thank you all for the replies..
    Sounds like I should go smaller with my twisted leaders,I have a batch of 60lb and 80lb that I have left over from the monduran trip that I will still take,but will now make up a variety of smaller lb. ones up too...

Do you all have a preference in leader material???

When fishing plastics,do you prefer a wind on or still the twisted leader setup??

Lots of questions,but used to fishing bass....

10lb fluoro-slim beauty-etc..etc..

advice is appreciated

Cheers-Mick

Quote Originally Posted by alphas View Post
    Thank you all for the replies..
    Sounds like I should go smaller with my twisted leaders,I have a batch of 60lb and 80lb that I have left over from the monduran trip that I will still take,but will now make up a variety of smaller lb. ones up too...

Do you all have a preference in leader material???

When fishing plastics,do you prefer a wind on or still the twisted leader setup??

Lots of questions,but used to fishing bass....

10lb fluoro-slim beauty-etc..etc..

advice is appreciated

Cheers-Mick

Mono ( Nitline) .... very good

I used the twisties because of losses when using plastics ....... Thanks Trev

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Do yourself a favor get onto ebay buy a girls hairbraider... then twist away just latley l have been using 20lb... thats two strands of ten lb with no problems...When the fishing is tough l go down in leader size.... Most of the time its 30lb twisted
    Is that all you use it for Trevor???

I normally use straight 60lb YGK Gallas flurocarbon as leader material and never lost a fish from being rubbed off. Seems to have a very tough coating on it. I attach it by a slim beauty knot to either 30 or 50lb Nitlon PE braid. Thanks to Trevor for showing me the slim beauty knot too. I use that for just about all my braid to leader knots now. Never had one break or slip.

I've used twisted leaders and all types of leader material, and for me, its YGK Gallas flurocarbon. They also do mono as well. Am yet to try that.

Cheers
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper View Post

I normally use straight 60lb YGK Gallas flurocarbon as leader material and never lost a fish from being rubbed off. Seems to have a very tough coating on it. I attach it by a slim beauty knot to either 30 or 50lb Nitlon PE braid. Thanks to Trevor for showing me the slim beauty knot too. I use that for just about all my braid to leader knots now. Never had one break or slip.

I've used twisted leaders and all types of leader material, and for me, its YGK Gallas flurocarbon. They also do mono as well. Am yet to try that.

Cheers
    Bill
    Bill .... I'm curious , Do you fish HBs or plastics - predominantly ?????

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Plastics mainly for barra, but also trying the Cultiva Miravibes for them of late as well. Now I don't get to fish as often as Trevor does for these beautiful barra, so I'm only going by my rate of a few fish per session so far. Trip before last I caught 4 barra for the session, all on the same leader. The last fish scuffed it up badly but still couldn't break it. These were all caught on slick rigs and 3 out of the 4 took them right in.

Bill

Plastics mainly for barra, but also trying the Cultiva Miravibes for them of late as well. Now I don't get to fish as often as Trevor does for these beautiful barra, so I'm only going by my rate of a few fish per session so far. Trip before last I caught 4 barra for the session, all on the same leader. The last fish scuffed it up badly but still couldn't break it. These were all caught on slick rigs and 3 out of the 4 took them right in.

Bill
    Thanks Bill

Next question .... Fighting tactics
    do you fish screwed up drag & go hard ..... or nice & easy with reduced pressure ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

It depends on locations really. I'm not a huge fan of locked up drag. Sometimes the more pressure you put on, the harder they pull back. And each fish is different as well. If I do need to put pressure on a fish and stop it pulling line, then I thumb the spool. Easier to let a fish run by letting the thumb pressure go than trying to loosen the drag. Like I said before, I'm no expert, just a punter.

Cheers
    Bill

It depends on locations really. I'm not a huge fan of locked up drag. Sometimes the more pressure you put on, the harder they pull back. And each fish is different as well. If I do need to put pressure on a fish and stop it pulling line, then I thumb the spool. Easier to let a fish run by letting the thumb pressure go than trying to loosen the drag. Like I said before, I'm no expert, just a punter.

Cheers
    Bill
    Ohhh & I thought I was going to get the definitive answer that I've been looking for I changed to twisted last Sept ...... I've lost only 1 fish on 25lb ( Fair dinkum ..... I reckon I lost or saw lost 10 barra last year to worn 60 & 80lb mono + even 2 on 80lb FC) ...... The last barra lost on mono ( 80lb wind on) was a big mutha at Mondy (Sept) that sliced through the leader ..... just unlucky with that one

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Cheers
    Bill
    Bill ...yes are there any other uses ?

I attach it by a slim beauty knot to either 30 or 50lb Nitlon PE braid. Thanks to Trevor for showing me the slim beauty knot too. I use that for just about all my braid to leader knots now. Never had one break or slip.

It is a fantastic knot,was using improved albright but the catching on the guides was frustrating...Good to hear it stands up well with heavier lb. line too.

Still experimenting with my DIY twisties. I use 30lb penn 10X doubled to create 60lb, the bottom 150-200mm twisted back onto itself (120lb) then whipped or lashed (can't think of the exact knot name, my mate has my book of knots) & glued. Leader attached to 30lb braid main line via loop to loop (bimini twist in main line). I use a snap at the business end.

Havn't had hits from a real big girl yet but it seems to be really strong & durable. Kops a real from those darn flying tree fish .I think it may spook fish at times though when they're finicky, I seem to get more hits on a straight 60lb leader????? Any recomendations for twisted leader material appreciated.

Maybe I should try downsizing to 40lb twisties, how does that handle the big girls if I run into one. Still havn't joined the metre club yet (hooked 1 a t Kinchant but got spat ,let alone the new impoundment benchmark of 120cm.

Cheers
    Colo