Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Need Help Please

Re: I Need Help Please

Can i ask, why mud? If you are chasing Snapper/squire, you should try Peel. Again, use your sounder and look for good drop offs and holes. Some people on this forum may share markings with you.

Also time and time again, if you are fishing bait, use fresh mullet. Get it from a seafood shop or fish and chips shop fresh. MUST BE FRESH! Anchor up and use heaps of good burley.

If you are spending that much money in fuel, you should invest in good bait and burley. Also try fresh squid or good quality pillies.

With your mullet strips, run the lightest sinker as possible. I have fished with 1 or 2 size or even no weight on the right day. A natuarally floating baid can do some real damage. Snapper will hit even at 2m depth.

Dont focuss to much on tide. Get out there dusk and dawn.

If you are fishing mud, remember most of it is shallow around the island and bigger guys wont venture out when the sun is out bright. Outside of the island there are good holes and drop offs to look for.

Have you tried soft plastics?? Nuclear chicken shads (berkley) in 5in.

Good luck mate!

Oh, and one more thing, dont let the missus brake your balls to much!

Jezza
    "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"

plenty of big Barra down Jacobs well mate.

cheers

struktcha man give it a rest,i know i caught the barra and i know where.grow up...thanks to all you other lads with all your helpfull ideas and hints..i do use the freshest bait i can get hold of,i cast net some live herring and by food grade prawns and squid and iqf pillys so i dont think baits the problem...as for soft plastics,lures arnt really my thing unless im trolling for a mack or back up home chasing barra..

Quote Originally Posted by uglyfish View Post
    struktcha man give it a rest,i know i caught the barra and i know where.grow up...thanks to all you other lads with all your helpfull ideas and hints..i do use the freshest bait i can get hold of,i cast net some live herring and by food grade prawns and squid and iqf pillys so i dont think baits the problem...as for soft plastics,lures arnt really my thing unless im trolling for a mack or back up home chasing barra..

Ah well, there you go, could be lots more frustration headed your way m8 unless you experiment with new techniques. For whatever reason whenever I tried fishing bait at Mud I never did well either, and I've been fishing the bay for 25 years or so. Although I will confess that the LT and Cobia on my Avitar were both caught on live bait over at the 4 beacons. But we are talking Mud Island in this instance.

Since changing to SPs about 10 years now, things changed dramatically. That works for me and many AF members far more skilled than I. Give it a try!

Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by uglyfish View Post
    wheres the 4 beacons mate?im not giving up...my boat is near on 17 ft was going to post a pic but cant work it out...il put it in my avitar

Sorry mate dont have marks for 4 beacons, if you do a search on this site you will find them though. As a rough guide they are south of Tangalooma a couple of k's maybe and reasoanbly close to the shoreline. Would be a good idea to get yourself a copy of beacon to beacon to use as a rough guide to get yourself around the Bay. I think they are about 40 bucks from B C F.

Tide runs pretty hard through there so changes are the best time to fish. Try dropping livies or float pillies around the beacons and take some spinning gear in case the longtails or macks start busting up.

Mick

ive given it a go mate its just not my thing to be honest...im open to any suggestions where to fish it dont have to be just around mud island,i just used mud as it close to the river mouth and you can still get out even in a bit of chop and wind..been a fair bit of that of late....

thanks zigfreed,i got me a beacon to beacon book,great value for money..

Mate have you read this post in Reports section ?
    Looks 2 me that Peel is a good option

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=143737
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

yeah mate ive read it,but dont have the secret bait lol no seriously i plan to give peel a crack soon,wheres the best place to launch?cleveland?

Try google earthing the area and see if the location is clear enough to look for gutters etc.your cursor will give you the gps mark and then you have a spot.Not from your area but has helped me on the reef to look for structure you never know you might find something of interest.........Be the hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtysanchez View Post
    Mate have you read this post in Reports section ?
    Looks 2 me that Peel is a good option

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=143737
    I thought most fish caught at 'peel' came from the other peel island!!!

ok fellas i went and got me some watermelon soft plastics,is that a good choice?im not fully converted from baits yet but hay when in rome...

mud island has been cleaned outa good fish by the bay snapper legends.
    there maybe a few left down wello way, ask the boys, you could try the scarborough reef, but the locals there are a finicky mob.

fishing these southern waters compared to up north is a different ball park mate. almost like fishing from salt, to freshwater. burley and light gear is the key down here. experiment and learn, its hard, but there is a feed to be found out there.

cheers

lippa

the 4 beacons are the first 4 beacons heading north along moreton island, they arent hard to find once u r over there but if you are that worried about fuel you wouldnt go all the way over to moreton would you? moreton is probably 100L per trip depending on your motor.

Btw I have skimmed most of the posts but never noticed anything about it - did ou say you are fishing night or day?

im fishing pre dawn mostly,then on in to the day time..