Thread: Its official- I love catching Mackies!

Its official- I love catching Mackies!

Hey Ausfisho's,
    Just thought I would let you know about a pearla of a charter we went on over the Christams New Year period, leaving out of Rosslyn Bay near Yeppoon on the "Miss Jane" with skipper Jim.
    It was a magic morning, with light misty rain to begin with. When daylight broke we found the birds hitting the bait almost as far as the eye could see, and bonito leaping out of the water in impressive numbers all around the boat. We were 19 miles out to sea. The rapala X Raps and RMG lures were turfed out the back and in no time at all we were hooked up. My partner pulled the first fish of the day being a a solid bonito. The fishing only improved as the day went on with the next fish lengthening my arms a little. The 1.3 metre spaniard only came on board after some blistering runs that saw line spewing from the reel and a bead of sweat appearing on my brow.
    We left the mackie grounds after catching a few sharkie mackeral, and some other medium sized spaniards, to try our luck on the bottom further out, and found the cobia to be fantastic fun as they leaped out of the air at high speed. After things went quiet it was back to the mackie grounds for some more trolling.
    Things were a bit quiet on the lures so we opted to float some pillies out the back on some light thredline outfits, whilst burlying. We were just about ready to call it a day when the skipper shouted "Oh Yes" and the outfit buckled over and line began pouring off the reel at high pace. Twenty minutes later my PB Mackie came along side the boat, measuring almost 1.5 metres and weighing an estimated 45 to 50lbs. Awesome fun and quite a bit different to the Yellowbelly and Cod I am used to catching! Thanks very much to Jim for an awesome day!
    If you want to go on a trip with Jim you can get him on 0429 393 365. Tell him Matt from Dubbo gave you the deatils and he will look after you,
    Cheers,
    pod.

Re: Its official- I love catching Mackies!

Cracker fish!!! Looks like a great time had by all. How good are those photos hey. Cheers, Darren

Gotta be happy with a charter that gets you onto quality fish like that.

Looks like you had a ball, cod and yella just wont be the same ever again.

Hopefully we'll be seeing em in brissie soon.

C'mon you buggers swim south, i got lots of tasty gillies pillies waiting for ya...

love ya work Poddy ...congrats on the PB!!!...cheers for the piccies and report

Mrs Benno1
    Sunny

looks like a great charter mate and you really hooked into some good fish

cheers justin

Good fish mate, love that Sharkie.

Tom

Mate good stuff
    Some beautiful spano's there.................. I take it you were around the Wide grounds area
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Don't relly know what they call the area mate as I am from a bloody long way from Yeppoon! We were about 19 miles out and turned south out of rosslyn bay if that helps you make an educated guess mate. Pod