Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Tips for Burleigh / Tweed Heads Way

Exclamation Fishing Tips for Burleigh / Tweed Heads Way

Hey Everyone!

I'm heading down the coast to Broadbeach this weekend and staying for a few nights. I haven't been fishing in a while so I'm really keen to get a line wet and get back into it, but I wanted some opinions on where to fish in this area and the best baits.

I'm thinking of either going to Burleigh Heads or Tweed Heads... just to make sure as I did notice that cast nets are illegal in NSW, so it's a no no for Tweed heads, but they are still legal in QLD right? So I'm fine to use it at Burleigh heads?

I've read a few posts which say you can get herring under bridges, etc so I'll probably try for some there to see if I can get some nice fresh bait.

But putting that aside, I'd love to hear everyones opinion on where's the best spot to sink a line at the moment and the baits that are going best? I'm not overally fussed what I catch, Bream, Flatties & Whitting are always good... but some Trevalley or Tailor would be fantastic.

Any advice is appreciated! Look forward to hearing back from you all!

Cheers,
    Dan

Re: Fishing Tips for Burleigh / Tweed Heads Way

Or even if there's any places aside from tweed and burleigh that are within that range and worth hitting up! I read a few posts mentioning Palm Beach. But I am shore fishing, no boat unfortunately.

beach or estuary?

Honestly, I don't mind to much, I'd be keen for both.

I know I've got a decent sized rod at home with a alvey on it for beach fishing, it's reasonable... but it's not a huge road so not that idea for big casts.
    And I'm goin to get a new little egg beater rod for estuary.. my last one unfortunately rusted out.

Mate there's heaps of places you can try from Burleigh - Tweed and everywhere in between....depends on what you want to do. You can fish any of the beaches from Burleigh through to Fingal (and further South). Worms would be the goer if you're going to (bait) beach fish, you can buy em at most tackle shops and there's a private seller or 2 getting around...Dart are everywhere currently.
    If you're gonna go after livies then Tally Bridge or bridges at the Tweed (or even Currumbin, but I don't go there so I don't know for sure if they're gettin livies from the bridge there).
    What do you want to do? beach....estuary...bait....lure?

Hey mate,

I think I'll end up doing more estuary fishing on this trip.. simply because I don't have a big enough rod to get a really powerful cast for beach fishing.

I'll keep worms in mind for sure - how about prawns?
    I wouldn't mind trying some lure's as well if you have any that you could recommend?

Where about's is Tally Bridge?

I'm mainly chasing as I said.. whiting, bream & trevally, I especially want to catch a Trevally, never have before so it'd be a 1st.

Thanks for all your advice so far, much appreciated, hopefully there's some other people who can contribute too

If after Trevally you could try Barney's Point Bridge in the southern arm of the Tweed. Heard of a few decent Trevs caught there recently. Just west of the bridge, on the southern bank is a small section of the old road bridge that is now a fishing platform. I would recommend fishing there at night for Trevally - the lights of the bridge attract bait and usually Trevs.

Hey Marty,

Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely keep that in mind for when I'm down there and possibly give it a visit to have a crack.
    But what bait can you catch from the bridge - seeming you can't use a cast net there unless you want to risk a nasty little fine correct?

Cheers,
    Dan

Tally bridge = Tallebudgera Bridge, sorry. I've seen people successfully using bait jigs from the Tallebudgera bridge and the Barneys point bridge (and fishing platform) as mentioned by Marty. Looked like Herring being caught. Can't use a cast net in the Tweed but you can use 1 bait trap if the dimensions are correct and labelled etc, or set up a bait jig. http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/
    Use fresh bait over the frozen stuff if you can mate, prawns would be fine. I'm sure there are bigger lure afficiandos than me so hopefully someone can help you out there. All I use currently are the plastic worms and small metal slugs.
    Don't forget to get a licence if you are going to fish the Tweed, you can get a cheaper one if that's the only place you are going to fish in NSW.

Ahhh right right, no problems mate! I'm writting these places down hopefully it won't be too much effort finding them if I ask around.

Ahhh okay great, I don't have a bait trap, but if they aren't too exy I might invest in one.

And yeah I'll be getting a 3 day license off the NSW DPI website which will cover my time down there.

Are there any Jewfish around tweed and tally?

By the way guys, could you give me any indication of where these places are exactly as well? Sorry as I don't know the area too well, if you can tell me some street names nearby or something to identify these good places to pop in a line it'd be excellent.

Barney's Point Bridge
    Tally Bridge

The canals around Broadbeach & Mermaid waters will be worth a look at the moment. Good gutters along mermaid & nobby's at the moment for dart & whiting.

Thanks for the tips Leeroy1, but I won't have a great deal of time to explore around different canals I don't think so I'll more then likely try and stick to Tweed or Burleigh, also because I'm very keen to hook a Trevally

Anyone able to give me some more direction on how to find these 2 spots?

Barney's Point Bridge
    Tally Bridge

Cheers,
    Dan

Tally bridge is just south of burleigh heads and on the hwy, more south is currumbin bridge, you can see the bars from both, tallabudgera creek road will travel along the river on the south side and a few spots to have a look at, at the end it brings you to the m1 hwy bridge and you can get bait and yabbys there, good luck .