Thread: mackerel question?

mackerel question?

hey fellas am gonna put the tinnie in at conltarf maybe friday to chase some macks wont be going out to far maybe 2k or so as i dont have an epirb an my boat isnt a monster. i was wondering if id have a better chance trolling lures around, drifting aroud with baits out or anchoring up with baits out an a berely trail.

any help would be great!!
    cheers

Re: mackerel question?

Slow/medium trolling a well rigged dead garfish is the all time winner apart from anything except live bait, can also cast these into/over/around any sized schools of baitfish repeatedly, let sink then jig/work them back....whoo hooo hang on!

Still all other styles will catch them too. For the gun replace the gar with a winter whiting live or dead depending on what your doing at the time.

cheers fnq

I'd being hanging around or working the beacons or bottom structure, jigging or floating pillies or livies out with a little berley, or working the edges of the main channels or current lines, if you havent the boat to chase them or patrol the wide open expanses
    regards

did not think you needed an epirb for the bay only in of shore conditions out of bay areas correct me if im wrong please. as webby said try the becons

Don't know the area you intend to fish, however it's always worth while trolling headlands very early in the morning, with either bait or lures. Keep a look out for any surface action then tow around or near to it as possible.

Anchor & burley near structure also worth a shot. Some like to slowly feed out a bait instead of leaving it just sit in the current...

The best display of mackeral fishing came from a professional a few years back. He had obviously stocked up on live bait.

After he had located the mackeral he anchored up and began throwing out livies as you would burley, this obviously got the mackeral going as every cast after that resulted in a hook up.

I was towing garfish around near by and got NOTHING.....getting a wee bit jealous LOL.

I spoke to him later and he ended up the well over 40 mackeral (all spanish).

good luck

r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!