Thread: what size motor can you use with out a licence

what size motor can you use with out a licence

hey every onemy dad has a little gale force sarratoga and when we go in comps i always have to go with him and he wants to get a boat 4 me so then we can go in 2 differnt boats and ii was just wondering what size motor you can use with out a licence and im only 13 so i cant get my boat licence

thanks all brendan ,sic man

Re: what size motor can you use with out a licence

Sicman,

The max HP you can operate is 6hp and the boat will need to be registered.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Cool Re: what size motor can you use with out a licence

gday the max HP without rego is four HP and the max Hp without a licence is six..
    CHEERS BRAD

thanks 4 that mate yer i dont relly wonna pay rego so i think ill buy a 2nd 4

Is it 3.5hp or 4hp that comes in under the rego rule?? I thought the 4 was just outside but am probably wrong as it was a while since I looked into it.

cheers fnq

fnq.. think its like 3.0KW that has to be registered.. the 4 just scrapes under it anyway
    Garry

What about an electric? Would it be feasable to enter comps with a tiny 'leccy powered boat?

Thumbs up Re: what size motor can you use with out a licence

nah its about 3.5m and my dad will be useing the bigger electric but i have a little 34lb trust stern mount as well but that will not push it as long as or as good as a little 4horse

yes is is 4hp untill you need reg. & 6 hp or under without a licence, however if you stay within 1knt (smooth & 2knt partially) of the mothership (in this case your dads boat) you can have upto 6hp with no licence or reg aslong as it has ( T/T & motherships rego or name ) see pic. this is my 13yo sons boat & tender to my ski boat. all legel & even the water police have comeneted on what a great rig it is.
    cheers
    rick & matt

Come to NSW, stay under 10kts and you drive what ever you like, 2m tinnie to 40ft cruiser, doesnt matter.
    Do what others say you can't
    and you will never live by their
    limitations again.

Quote Originally Posted by danny412 View Post
    Come to NSW, stay under 10kts and you drive what ever you like, 2m tinnie to 40ft cruiser, doesnt matter.
    Danny, I think you will find that the licencing bit for NSW is if the vessel is able to do 10 knots or more .. nothing to do with if you stay under 10 knots.. I got that from NSW maritime .
    Garry

thanks goldfish but the (mothership) is only 4.1m so it cant be under the name or rego i dont think

and danny i live in qld,bribie island

Quote Originally Posted by sicman345 View Post
    thanks goldfish but the (mothership) is only 4.1m so it cant be under the name or rego i dont think

and danny i live in qld,bribie island
    from the info i was given from qld water police as long as the tender is smaller than the mother ship & within the 1knt (smooth water) its all fine. get your dad to call & confirm this. my ski boat is only 13.5ft & my sons is 9ft. but as long as he is within 1knt of me its all good. but i must add my boat is never more than 2 or 3 hundred meters away & he always wears a pfd whilst in the boat going or not.